Vic Firth/Zildjian no longer DCI partner

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

Hundreds of people on a myriad of committees. Think about that for a moment; just think, discuss, resolve, write it down, and then think again. What do people do on committees? Think long enough and an epiphany will occur. And that epiphany will indicate the real inherent problem DCI faces.

Actually, stuff gets done, much, I suppose, to your disbelief.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, garfield said:

I think that, if there are gaps in communications, it's between DCI and those who WANT to know, not necessarily between DCI and those who NEED to know.

There are myriad committees and groups working inside DCI that are made up of corps directors, DCI staff, and Board Consortium members who are filling the roles.  All told, it's something like 100 people inside and connected to drum corps who are currently working internally.

Yes, they ask for help and yes, they generally get committees that are rounded with lots of diverse professionals.

If anyone wants to become an "insider", it only takes attaining a position on the Board of a corps, then attending the Consortium meeting and putting up one's hand when they ask for volunteers to help.

Thank you for that insight Garfield! And I would say upon reflection that the "want to know vs need to know" is very much a valid and probably often overlooked distinction. 

50 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

tell me business expert how a college kid is going to get in the door?

Granted, a young kid might not be taken seriously, but a kid who's bringing a compelling story and offer (not begging for dollars) could very well gain an audience with a marketer.

4 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Oh late in the season if Rangers were going to miss the playoffs their own fans would chant 1940 with that hand clap. First time I ever heard it and thought “man they are worse than Philly fans”.

Just read Flyers were at Pittsburgh and Pens fans chanting “16,000”. As in 16,000 days since the Flyers last won the cup. Ouch....

That east-west PA rivalry ain’t a myth. Saw it first hand at college in western PA. (I was ok to both sides as was from middle of state and refused to get sucked in. “Favorite team Phillies or Pirates?” Me: “The one that’s closest.... Baltimore!”.

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

tell me business expert how a college kid is going to get in the door?

There's lots of sob stories out there. People who are used to this type of work know this and even the pros find it extremely difficult. Not a job for the faint at heart, that's for sure..lol

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

While sponsorship dollars in any amount are positive and should  be welcomed, the talent, experience, and connections required varies as the desired level of support rises. 

Just about any volunteer, intern, or high school educated individual can write basic requests and make introductory contacts. Call this the “under $10 thousand dollar” searcher.  Higher dollar goals require an entirely different “closer” with a much different set of skills, abilities, and relationships.  A higher-compensated pro with a more generous expense account.

To my knowledge, DCI has not had an accomplished tree-shaker since its early days with the late Don Whiteley at the controls. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, garfield said:

Granted, a young kid might not be taken seriously, but a kid who's bringing a compelling story and offer (not begging for dollars) could very well gain an audience with a marketer.

depends on how high level a company you're looking to go with. A major name? Not likely. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

While sponsorship dollars in any amount are positive and should  be welcomed, the talent, experience, and connections required varies as the desired level of support rises. 

Just about any volunteer, intern, or high school educated individual can write basic requests and make introductory contacts. Call this the “under $10 thousand dollar” searcher.  Higher dollar goals require an entirely different “closer” with a much different set of skills, abilities, and relationships.  A higher-compensated pro with a more generous expense account.

To my knowledge, DCI has not had an accomplished tree-shaker since its early days with the late Don Whiteley at the controls. 

I know 1st hand as well as many in the Not for profit comminities that say asking for a mere 500.00 donation is hard and not what it was even a few years ago. Not to say people shouldnt try. You don;t ask you don't get. Often you ask and dont get BUT you do need to ask

• Like 1