DCI Minneapolis

2 hours ago, Bob P. said:

Decent dome is an oxymoron.  Even partially covered stadiums, where spectators are covered, are acoustically compromised.  Situation is even worse now with omni-directional speakers, i.e. mid bass.  At least horns are directional, except when amplified, but the rest of instruments are omni-directional, hence large goo and reverberation in large enclosed space.

You should try Indy and I think you might be pleasantly surprised. My group has done Allentown and then Indy for years and we all agree that your ears get acclimated to the sound in no time in Indy. They do as much as they can to help the sound there. On top of that it is very comfortable.

On 4/3/2019 at 1:59 PM, HockeyDad said:

Too much Row The Boat going on over there. So they moved the show to the beautiful vistas of Menomonie WI

Menomonie in Wisconsin just lost one of its celebrity citizens who helped distinguish it from that other place in Michigan.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/obituaries/2019/04/04/charles-sanna-man-behind-swiss-miss-cocoa/Mmb1esdEsMJtoKWPb2McrO/story.html?et_rid=706132600&s_campaign=todaysheadlines:newsletter

4 hours ago, Bob P. said:

Decent dome is an oxymoron.  Even partially covered stadiums, where spectators are covered, are acoustically compromised.  Situation is even worse now with omni-directional speakers, i.e. mid bass.  At least horns are directional, except when amplified, but the rest of instruments are omni-directional, hence large goo and reverberation in large enclosed space.

it's not just equipment on the field that's the issue. if you haven't noticed, it seems recently storms are becoming more and more destructive. I love good old J Birney Crum, but imagine trying to evacuate that stadium fast if an ugly storm is rolling in. Or imagine any other venue on the east coast...and as we've seen elsewhere, it's not just an east coast thing. Storms more than ever seem to roll in harder and faster, and tend be more powerful than they used to be. So sure, the stuff on the field is a concern, but so are the spectators, stadium employees etc.

Trust me...i do not like drum corps under a roof, because, well yes, the sound sucks ###. But i get the safety reasons. Imagine DCI had been outside several years ago when that storm rolled through Indy and killed people at the Fair.

54 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

it's not just equipment on the field that's the issue. if you haven't noticed, it seems recently storms are becoming more and more destructive. 

No. I haven’t noticed. But yeah storms and such and protection of equipment are reasons. I get it. But for me, speaking for myself only, indoor drum corps is just a hill too high to climb. The acoustics ruin it for me. I’ve tried. Been to Indy twice. Just won’t do it anymore. 

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, denmum said:

You should try Indy and I think you might be pleasantly surprised. My group has done Allentown and then Indy for years and we all agree that your ears get acclimated to the sound in no time in Indy. They do as much as they can to help the sound there. On top of that it is very comfortable.

I can also acclimate to jackhammers at 125db, but I still won't enjoy nor appreciate it.  91 horns and over 25 percussion instruments, even un-amplified are not meant to be enjoyed indoors, just like a symphony orchestra is not meant to be enjoyed outdoors, even when amplified, Hollywood Bowl notwithstanding.  

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

it's not just equipment on the field that's the issue. if you haven't noticed, it seems recently storms are becoming more and more destructive. I love good old J Birney Crum, but imagine trying to evacuate that stadium fast if an ugly storm is rolling in. Or imagine any other venue on the east coast...and as we've seen elsewhere, it's not just an east coast thing. Storms more than ever seem to roll in harder and faster, and tend be more powerful than they used to be. So sure, the stuff on the field is a concern, but so are the spectators, stadium employees etc.

Trust me...i do not like drum corps under a roof, because, well yes, the sound sucks ###. But i get the safety reasons. Imagine DCI had been outside several years ago when that storm rolled through Indy and killed people at the Fair.

Maybe the fair should be held indoors!  :unsure:  While we are at it, why not have the Indy 500 indoors - that would make it "safer" for the 200K spectators to evacuate in case of an ugly storm. :whistle:  Its not for safety reasons that the DCI Indy is indoors, its for $$ reasons. :thumbdown:

8 hours ago, Bob P. said:

Maybe the fair should be held indoors!  :unsure:  While we are at it, why not have the Indy 500 indoors - that would make it "safer" for the 200K spectators to evacuate in case of an ugly storm. :whistle:  Its not for safety reasons that the DCI Indy is indoors, its for $$ reasons. :thumbdown:

again...not saying I am a fan. I went to Indy in 2010.....haven't been back.

But being an administrator in a band circuit, and having had to deal with some weather situations, I get the reasons why. No matter what is happening outside, finals goes on unaffected inside. I remember the mess in 94 when quarters got cancelled with what 6/7 corps left?

5 hours ago, Ghost said:

91 horns?

I am numerically dyslexic.  9 x 9 = 81, but with dyslexia it comes out as 91.  :unsure: