2019 George Takei Inducted Into WDCHOF

To me .....this comes off as the nerd trying too hard to hang out with the cool kids. Better to acknowledge a nameless volunteer who has given so much more of themself than someone who was an actor in a tv show with a cult following 50 years ago, who also picked up a horn once or did a year in a corps when he/she was 17..  But that’s just me I guess. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

To me .....this comes off as the nerd trying too hard to hang out with the cool kids. Better to acknowledge a nameless volunteer who has given so much more of themself than someone who was an actor in a tv show with a cult following 50 years ago, who also picked up a horn once or did a year in a corps when he/she was 17..  But that’s just me I guess. 

Nope, you're not alone. I understand the organization looking to spread awareness by inducting celebrities that have little or no  drum corps background, but for me, that doesn't impress. 

The list of actual contributors to drum corps not in the WDCHOF is miles long. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Jim says it has a whole jock sniffer feel about it. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

:doh: Ummmmm... Apply Jim's response to the bio about Taki's 'life' and you will see why it is either a well thought out bit of witty humor or a great big unintentional honest mistake!  Either way, it was funny and I laughed and laughed and laughed.

• Haha 1

Just now, Stu said:

:doh: Ummmmm... Apply Jim's response to the bio about Taki's 'life' and you will see why it is either a well thought out bit of witty humor or a great big unintentional honest mistake!  Either way, it was funny and I laughed and laughed and laughed.

I’m sure he didn’t mean it in a sexual preference kind of way.  It was more in the fan boy lining up at the locker room door vein.   

8 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’m sure he didn’t mean it in a sexual preference kind of way.  It was more in the fan boy lining up at the locker room door vein.  

You are reminding me of my mom. She would blurt out something off the cuff but it made sense to her; some in the room would gasp, others like me would laugh. She would then have a perplexed look on her face while walking herself into yet another off the cuff statement. Thanks for evoking that memory, it has made my day and will keep me smiling for a while! 😅

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Stu said:

You are reminding me of my mom. She would blurt out something off the cuff but it made sense to her; some in the room would gasp, others like me would laugh. She would then have a perplexed look on her face while walking herself into yet another off the cuff statement. Thanks for evoking that memory, it has made my day and will keep me smiling for a while! 😅

I’m sure that’s me.   Oh well.  When you get on the back nine of life, you don’t worry about it too much. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

When you get on the back nine of life, you don’t worry about it too much. 

That's better than rounding third and heading for home.  Golf takes longer.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

I agree. I didn't even know he did drum corps until now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Ewww!

• Haha 1