2019 Uniforms

1 minute ago, Incognito365 said:

If that show had won, we would be way ahead of where we're at now in terms of design. I don't know where that would be, but it's true. Look at how fast things progressed after Bluecoats won in 2016.

I think you're right. Many of my 80s friends think 2016 Bluecoats destroyed DCI. I disagree. The elevated it IMO. I don't like all the changes modern drum corps has embraced, but I love the way costuming has taken over from uniforming, and I love the elevated use of props we are seeing. The 2016 Bluecoats are responsible for that. They also elevated the usage of electronics in 2014. IMO the 2014-2016 Bluecoats were the most innovative corps of our time.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Hook'emCavies said:

But, uh... those Cavies uniforms. 🙂

I'm not sure what to think. I see one picture and I think "UG" and then I see another picture and I think "LOVE." I guess I'll reserve final opinion until I see them on the field.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I think you're right. Many of my 80s friends think 2016 Bluecoats destroyed DCI. I disagree. The elevated it IMO. I don't like all the changes modern drum corps has embraced, but I love the way costuming has taken over from uniforming, and I love the elevated use of props we are seeing. The 2016 Bluecoats are responsible for that. They also elevated the usage of electronics in 2014. IMO the 2014-2016 Bluecoats were the most innovative corps of our time.

They were the most innovative, however much it pains me to say it because I HATE their use of mics and what it has done to several other corps, including my Crown. The props on the other hand, they quickly elevated that. Sure we had corps getting on props, but not to the extent that the Bluecoats did in 2016, which if they had never done so Vanguard never would have pulled off last year as well. However dirty Downside Up was, we have it to thank for the extreme push in GE and Visual that we have enjoyed the last couple of years.

1 minute ago, Incognito365 said:

They were the most innovative, however much it pains me to say it because I HATE their use of mics and what it has done to several other corps, including my Crown. The props on the other hand, they quickly elevated that. Sure we had corps getting on props, but not to the extent that the Bluecoats did in 2016, which if they had never done so Vanguard never would have pulled off last year as well. However dirty Downside Up was, we have it to thank for the extreme push in GE and Visual that we have enjoyed the last couple of years.

Exactly. I do think Vanguard took prop elevation further last year. Bluecoats did amazing things with their props in 2016 and I particularly loved how they used them for framing. With SCV last year, I thought it was the first time we really saw props as a fully integrated component. So much so that sometimes I would lose sight of them. They really pushed the envelope there. I do, however, hope we see more corps not using props this year.

• Like 2

To be honest, I hated the Bluecoats that year. I didn't see what everyone saw in the show. It was my very own Star of Indiana 1993. The uniforms were just...yeah... Now, it's one of my favorite music books. It's also not just props that that show pushed, but the uniforms too. Sure we had small alterations to the usual corps uniforms, but never really had someone take it that far with the thematic based uniforms. Now it's the norm for not just drum corps, but even high school marching bands. Crown is also to be thanked for their new style of shakos, because I can't name one local circuit high school competition I've went to since 2013 that didn't have a open top shako. Which by the way, is there a name for that style of shako?

• Like 2

Uniform Reaction:

I look forward to trying the Don Warren IPA from the new Cavaliers microbrewery. Hopefully they'll stop picking hops long enough to put a good show on the field this summer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, hostrauser said:

Uniform Reaction:

I look forward to trying the Don Warren IPA from the new Cavaliers microbrewery. Hopefully they'll stop picking hops long enough to put a good show on the field this summer.

Exactly my thought. Or a speak easy 

2 minutes ago, Dream Theater said:

Meanwhile during The Cadets show....

Let's hope so. They will be my favorite corps.