New Cadets Sexual Assault Accusation

11 minutes ago, E3D said:

I meant from the perspective of the minor or marching member. That they still might want to go back and march with the same corps. My post was not clear that I would not expect a parent to send their child back to that same organization. I was just trying to say there are situations where the kid would still return. 

Absolutely. Plus as a victim we just have to respect how they feel and their mindset. No right or wrong way of feeling 

53 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I was struck by the point in the police report in which the police tell the guardian that they want to interview the alleged victim, and the guardian, who was apparently traveling to follow the corps (the whole summer? just for championships?), tells the police that tight scheduling will make that difficult.

It wasn't the Cadets director who told the police that.

tight scheduling, yeah i remember seeing that now.

51 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

I would love to know the back story of the family dynamics surrounding how the guardianship came into play in the first place. 

and see legal documents verifying this

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, garfield said:

I've not studied the policies; is the tone of this policy indicative that these remedies apply to both adult/minor AND minor/minor incidents?

Hmmm no idea to the question but when DCI started getting serious about this it seemed it was geared to staff/member and staff/staff. Didn’t see anything spelling out member/member was included. Legally would guess it is covered but then again that does cover peoples mindset

8 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Absolutely. Plus as a victim we just have to respect how they feel and their mindset. No right or wrong way of feeling 

Maybe if the alleged perp was not going to be back in the corps, the alleged victim felt safe. Regardless of mom and Guardians opinion.

seen it at work a few times 

50 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

The alleged perpetrator denied it to the police.

That said, it does appear that the police didn't believe his denial, since they apparently recommended that the local prosecutor file charges. Do we know what happened after that?

Also, what part of the policy did Cadets violate? The sexual harassment policy says the following the "remedies" section:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Remedies for sexual harassment shall be designed to ensure that the harassment is effectively eliminated. Sanctions will be appropriate to the seriousness of the conduct and may include, but is not limited to:                          

• putting an immediate stop to any activity which qualifies as sexual harassment;
  • limiting contact between the victim and the harasser;
  • reprimand to the harasser;
  • apologies from the harasser to the victim;
  • requesting the harasser to leave the YEA! event; suspension of the harasser for a designated period of time; or terminating the harasser’s involvement or employment with YEA! permanently.

Room Assignments and Gym Configurations for Sleeping
When assigning roommates, such as in residence halls, or a hotel, roommates should always be of the same gender (unless they are a married couple) and age group as follows:

• Adults age 22 and over
  • Program participants age 18‐21
  • Program participants age 17 and under

Program participants may only share a room with another program participant of the same age group and gender. Staff and volunteers may only share a room with another staff member of the same gender, with the exception of married couples.

As a rule, one person per bed or sleeping bag for sleeping, except in the case of married couples only. Each person must be assigned to their own bed. Double, triple, and quad room configurations with twin Page 2 of 4 beds are all permitted. Double, queen, and king beds are permitted, but only one person per bed may be assigned, with the exception of married couples. Roll‐away cots are permitted.

In the case of using a school gym and sleeping bags for a sleeping area for drum corps, the gym must be divided into quadrants or areas as follows:

• Male corps members age 18‐21
  • Male corps members age 17 and under
  • Female corps members age 18‐21
  • Female corps members age 17 and under

per whats been released it was 2 to a bed at the hotel

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, JimF-LowBari said:

Maybe if the alleged perp was not going to be back in the corps, the alleged victim felt safe. Regardless of mom and Guardians opinion.

seen it at work a few times 

I think as a minor it would come down to the guardian feeling comfortable allowing the child to return. Just my take on it. And then after the child was cut the story changed. Unless I"m reading the unredacted letter incorrectly. There is also other evidence that is not public which causes me to question the letter writer's version of events.

Just now, Jeff Ream said:

Room Assignments and Gym Configurations for Sleeping
When assigning roommates, such as in residence halls, or a hotel, roommates should always be of the same gender (unless they are a married couple) and age group as follows:

• Adults age 22 and over
  • Program participants age 18‐21
  • Program participants age 17 and under

Program participants may only share a room with another program participant of the same age group and gender. Staff and volunteers may only share a room with another staff member of the same gender, with the exception of married couples.

As a rule, one person per bed or sleeping bag for sleeping, except in the case of married couples only. Each person must be assigned to their own bed. Double, triple, and quad room configurations with twin Page 2 of 4 beds are all permitted. Double, queen, and king beds are permitted, but only one person per bed may be assigned, with the exception of married couples. Roll‐away cots are permitted.

In the case of using a school gym and sleeping bags for a sleeping area for drum corps, the gym must be divided into quadrants or areas as follows:

• Male corps members age 18‐21
  • Male corps members age 17 and under
  • Female corps members age 18‐21
  • Female corps members age 17 and under

I believe this is the finalized policy adopted last fall after the season. Correct?

19 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I have also seen the letter and police report and CPS report

I used to work for DHHR.  CPS records involve minors and are sealed, by law!  Those are NOT in the public record.  😮

I wonder how that report got out?  Man, that is a lawsuit easily won if they can figured out who violated a child's right to privacy. 

1 minute ago, wvu80 said:

I used to work for DHHR.  CPS records involve minors and are sealed, by law!  Those are NOT in the public record.  😮

I wonder how that report got out?  Man, that is a lawsuit easily won if they can figured out who violated a child's right to privacy. 

It was attached to the mother’s letter. 

• Thanks 2