New Cadets Sexual Assault Accusation

16 hours ago, RetiredMusTeach said:

The letter, with attachments, has just been added on Reddit.  Reading it made me sick to my stomach.

Yeah and she didn't edit out the race, town, or zip code of the alleged perpetrator.

I haven't read through everything in this thread or the Reddit thread but that it NOT cool and makes is a lot easier to breech confidentiality.

So basically it's pretty easy to narrow down the school that the individual could attend. It's easy enough to narrow it down based on participation in a world class corps in that neighborhood at that age but add race and boom. Very easy to figure exactly who this is.

All of that aside the content of the letter makes me sick to my stomach too.

Edited by ThePlanets
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, garfield said:

The author's accusation that Cadets held off beginning an investigation until after they were removed from probation is spurious at least, and borders on leading to libelous defamation at worst.

Gee ... Cadets also might have held off because legal authorities were doing their investigation. Doing both at same time could be seen as interference.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

The difference is the issue was reported, the parent and guardian were aware of the issue. The must have been comfortable with how the Cadets handlers things originally in order to allow the member to audition again. It is only after he was cut that all the parent/guardian raised issues.

Or just time can change someones - emotions (anger , grief, etc.) Then they might change the course of action as well. 

27 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Where does it say that?

(I only see he was cut from Cadets, after which he then got offers from three other corps.)

not in the letter but apparently thats out there in a few places.

8 minutes ago, ThePlanets said:

Yeah and she didn't edit out the race, town, or zip code of the alleged perpetrator.

I haven't read through everything in this thread or the Reddit thread but that it NOT cool and makes it a lot easier to breech confidentiality.

So basically it's pretty easy to narrow down the school that the individual could attend. It's easy enough to narrow it down based on participation in a world class corps in that neighborhood at that age but add race and boom. Very easy to figure exactly who this is.

All of that aside the content of the letter makes me sick to my stomach too.

enough was not redacted that since no charges were filed, the accused could have a lawsuit against the accuser

37 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Where does it say that?

(I only see he was cut from Cadets, after which he then got offers from three other corps.)

It is known by those close to the situation that this person auditioned for two other corps before returning to the Cadets and then was cut.

40 minutes ago, E3D said:

Well not really. 

Lets say as an example comparison hazing in a corps. For the sake of a discussion - say the hazing is pretty bad and some sexually humiliating, physical abuse or assault has happened to a marching member. A large number of those Members will return the following year to march. 

Actually yes really. Your child who is a minor is sexually assaulted and you as parent feel the response is not adequate- you them allow the minor child to go BACK to this organization that you feel didn’t adequately respond? Uh, no. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

enough was not redacted that since no charges were filed, the accused could have a lawsuit against the accuser

Yes. 

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

reading the letter, I have a questions...who is really in charge? the mother or the guardian?

I was struck by the point in the police report in which the police tell the guardian that they want to interview the alleged victim, and the guardian, who was apparently traveling to follow the corps (the whole summer? just for championships?), tells the police that tight scheduling will make that difficult.

It wasn't the Cadets director who told the police that.