Ankeny, IA - Wednesday, July 10, 2019

2 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

A ha! OK, I hear it now, but it's so brief and thickly scored that if it appeared in a different show, I think no one would know it was supposed to be a quote that song.

The show is full of small quotes that if you didn’t wear out LPs in your youth,  you would never know they were there.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1

Whats interesting is that the Judges seem to think that overall bloo has more room to grow than SCV. I seem to think the opposite.

posted from the DrumScorps app

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

That might make for an interesting discussion (for anyone to respond): if you had to do an all-Beatles show but couldn't use any of the songs they play in this year's show, what would you use?

For reference, I think this is what they play:

1. A medley of "Strawberry Fields", "Penny Lane", "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band", "Revolution #9", "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds", "A Day in the Life", the drum section from "The End", and "I Wanna Hold Your Hand"

2. "Eleanor Rigby"

3. "Within You Without You"

4. "Blackbird" (with a brief quote of "Dear Prudence" at the end)

5. A medley of "Come Together" and "I Want You (She's So Heavy)"

6. "The End" plus the final chord from "A Day in the Life" (but not nearly as long as on the album)

What am I missing? The DCI program book that's posed in the 2019 Programs thread here also lists these songs as part of their repertoire: "Love Me Do", "Here Comes the Sun", "Hey Jude", "What happens Now?", and "With a Little Help from my Friends". (1) Where are those songs in the show? I don't hear them. (2) What is "What Happens Now?" I can't find a Beatles song by that title. There is a Beatles song called "What Goes On?" on Rubber Soul. Is that the song they mean?

Also, some notable parts of Bluecoats' show doesn't really sound like Beatles arrangements at all. As others have noted, the four-part trumpet feature in "Eleanor Rigby" sounds like an excerpt from their 2013 and 2015 shows. And the fast standstill section in the middle of "Within You Without You", plus the chanted section after -- what is that?

But the Beatles had 20 number one hits on the U.S. pop charts, more than anyone else (and in only seven years), so there are plenty of choices.

Pretty good ear!  You are missing "A Hard Days Night" and "Yesterday" in Mvt 1 and "Here Comes the Sun" in Mvt 3.  And maybe more to come 🙂

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

A ha! OK, I hear it now, but it's so brief and thickly scored that if it appeared in a different show, I think no one would know it was supposed to be a quote that song.

I think it's likely an Easter egg tucked in there for folks who know Beatles music well. I've been able to pick it out in most of the recordings I've heard.

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

There's something else about this Bluecoats show (the arrangements in particular) that keep me disengaged. It's a shame because I've really liked most if not all of their shows since 2010

Probably all the melody and complete musical ideas! 😈

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, oldbandguy said:

Pretty good ear!  You are missing "A Hard Days Night" and "Yesterday" in Mvt 1 and "Here Comes the Sun" in Mvt 3.  And maybe more to come 🙂

Also the Polythene Pam 3 chord riff during the intro drum break.

4 minutes ago, oldbandguy said:

From the here I sit ... not only is this a Beatles retrospective, but a Bluecoats retrospective from about 2014 on. Lots of hollabacks in this show.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Probably all the melody and complete musical ideas! 😈

Sure fire way to get any BD homer, lol. 

• Haha 1