New Rule for the next conference

12 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

My last two years with a local-circuit junior corps, 1975-76... our horn line was so bad, I wish we had the option of having another pre-recorded line play our music. :tongue:

With our luck even the recorded portions would get ticked to death. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

With our luck even the recorded portions would get ticked to death. 

/ 'Finger not uniformly centered on playback button"

/ "Tape hiss continues after last note"

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, KVG_DC said:

/ 'Finger not uniformly centered on playback button"

/ "Tape hiss continues after last note"

"Tape hiss" would be a good way to describe some of the sounds coming out of my junior corps' horn line those two lost years.  :laughing:

We had, at best, a passing acquaintance with tone quality and intonation.  LOL

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Old Corps Guy said:

This is great conversation.  While I can appreciate the desire for clean music and hence, the pre-recorded vocals,  I still come back to the same thought "This is performance Art" and the performance should be "live" by the performers on the field. 

This year, I believe corps have gone too far and are depending on pre-recorded vocals.  I will go so far as to say that pre-recorded vocals have a tempo locked in.  How is that different from a metronome on the field which is illegal?

They don't want to read the truth but you just posted it. The cat is out of the bag friend. We will never be able to stop it, and from what I have seen this is what they want. The future of DCI really is WGI. its done and dusted now.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Old Corps Guy said:

This is great conversation.  While I can appreciate the desire for clean music and hence, the pre-recorded vocals,  I still come back to the same thought "This is performance Art" and the performance should be "live" by the performers on the field. 

This year, I believe corps have gone too far and are depending on pre-recorded vocals.  I will go so far as to say that pre-recorded vocals have a tempo locked in.  How is that different from a metronome on the field which is illegal?

Well for one, If the vocals are started by the pit too early or too late, you risk taking the whole ensemble off beat. 

22 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

pretty sure the field judges would be able to spot that in a second, even from the safe zone

sure, but the issue at hand is whether the brass and perc would be penalized for that. I mean, if the rules allow pre-recorded music, the rules allow pre-recorded music. The fact that the judges would "spot" it is immaterial, no?

Or, are you saying that corps are free to completely fake their performances behind pre-recorded music, but they risk getting 0.0 on their brass/perc comp/ach caption scores?

And if that is your point, then we are left with a dissonance in the very idea of adjudication:

1. Pre-recorded music is okay. It can enhance your caption scores, even. Leaving it out can hurt your score, depending on circumstances. There are no limits on how much pre-recorded music can be used, or for what purposes or effect.
  2. The brass and perc must play. Otherwise they get zeroes.

These two ideas are in conflict. Or, to be more generous, they are a check-and-balance against each other. Maybe you would see this as a creative tension, not a conflict. At a minimum, it is a codification of a gray area.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman

1 hour ago, E3D said:

I will go so far as to say that pre-recorded vocals have a tempo locked in.  How is that different from a metronome on the field which is illegal?

I see that those defending the use of pre-recorded singing have gone silent after this comment. 

:whistle:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I'm hoping we can add the removal of field judges to that short list 

right so 2...hopefully 3 rules since 1972.

5 hours ago, Old Corps Guy said:

someone has to hit the button on time to start it

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

someone has to hit the button on time to start it

And once the button is hit, you have a metronome. 

Is that the Staples "Easy" button? Why, yes it is!

:thumbup:

Edited by Old Corps Guy
  • Like 1