What would you think if...

16 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Like what?

Yeah, except for the sub bass, and the obligatory solo mics, and that every corps uses synth, amplifies marimbas, spreads speakers across the front of the sound stage... they are all different?

You coined the phrase very well - "charge to sameness".  Thank you.

Like options and diversity of sound... Which was the point of the change.

It's a nice segue though to the point that none of these corps use the tools exactly the same way.  At one moment people are talking about the 'top secret' methods that one corps has (which isn't true)... and in the next moment the same folks are talking about a conspiracy to disseminate the same methods and gear to give judges kickbacks (for the half dozen rigs that are purchased every year).  Those companies make more money on churches and regional theaters in week than they make on drumcorps in a year.

hilarious.

If you want to believe that it's all corrupt then I can't stop you.  But it isn't.

4 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

the thing is people want show design to return to older styles. history proves the audience isn't there for it

The "older styles" I want drum corps to return to are basically those of 2013-2015.

15 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

The "older styles" I want drum corps to return to are basically those of 2013-2015.

It ain't that different.  It's not really all that different from 20 years ago if you are taking the time to directly compare.

But jeepers... You must really be hating the Bluecoats right now.

I sure hope not.  They are a fine organization, run by fine people that are dedicated to making productions for fans of drumcorps... first, foremost and above all else.

Edited by cfirwin3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, cfirwin3 said:

But jeepers... You must really be hating the Bluecoats right now.

I think Bluecoats have the second best show this year. Or maybe the best.

Which should be obvious to anyone who's read my posts, I think, including at least one post in my discussion in this thread with you.

16 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Why these years?  Some what the style of the 60s or 80s or some other era of styles.  Should we vote? Or, why should anyone care what you (or I, for that matter) want.

Just now, PamahoNow said:

Or, why should anyone care what you (or I, for that matter) want.

Anyone who is engaging in this discussion implicitly cares about what the other participants think (even those who might be telling themselves that they're just here to troll others).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PamahoNow said:

Why these years?  Some what the style of the 60s or 80s or some other era of styles.  Should we vote? Or, why should anyone care what you (or I, for that matter) want.

Have belonged to an old car club longer than I discovered drum corps (1970 vs 1974). If people in that activity would see the flame wars over preferences between different eras in drum corps they would wonder wtf is wrong with those dc people. 

Yeah lot of people have favorite car eras or types. But have never seen the bashing like I do with drum corps. Don’t get it myself either. 

28 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I disagree with Jeff (Ream). The demands for a certain type of show are irrelevant (to participation).

I assert that today's student will perform most anything they're given, and happily if they are successful...

This is just the same as it always has been.

The students are inclined to like and be drawn to what they're taught and familiar with, and generally think similarly to their teachers.

The biggest difference in interest today compared to "older" styles is the awareness of DCI in the schools, and the population boom we've had...

All my opinion of course, but we see more and more participation in the marching arts at the high school level all over the country despite many of these schools not having DCI style shows.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, MarimbaManiac said:

The listening public is conditioned to hear music that's been mastered or balanced professionally, and have adverse reactions to performances or recordings that aren't (whether they are aware of the cause of their distaste, or not).

I notice you keep repeating this mantra, as if hoping that we will all believe it if repeated often enough.  Yet whenever anyone posts a different opinion, you dismiss it as "biased", and pretend you never heard it.

Oh look, you did it again in this same post:

That being said, you're free not to like it, but let's not conflate our own personal opinions and biases with the fact that technology can make positive additions to the overall presentation.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

I notice you keep repeating this mantra, as if hoping that we will all believe it if repeated often enough.  Yet whenever anyone posts a different opinion, you dismiss it as "biased", and pretend you never heard it.

Oh look, you did it again in this same post:

What live or recorded music do you consume that isn't first passed through the filter of a sound engineer or projection system of some kind? Please enlighten me. We already had a discussion where someone leaned hard on the point that instrumental music (western classical at least) falls into this category, but in the majority of cases that's just not true. 

Anything else? Or are you just going to avoid the validity of that point entirely?