What would you think if...

20 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Completely disagree. Judging standards are decided with both judges and corps during the meetings. Judges don't just decide all by themselves what and how to evaluate their captions.

If you listened to the interview Dennis Delucia had this evening with the three people, you saw exactly what I was saying is true. Hardy naive. Miccing was added to improve the sound, first of the pit, then soloists and now more of the brass. The sound engineer who works with Bloo gave a very good explanation of how they are using amplification for sound reinforcement. Wayne Dillon spoke about field brass judging and how they are judging the individual performance of the performers. Both of them were saying things I have said here. 

I hope that interview gets posted somewhere. Some commenters on this thread would benefit from watching it.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Eleran said:

And as to your last comment, please - let me know which quality orchestras/opera companies are using amplification and equalization within their normal venues during their normal programming (I'm not talking some special Pops Concert).  I'm very curious to know.

I saw a production of Tan Dun's opera "Tea, a Vision of Soul" performed by the Philly opera company, conducted by the composer. Just about everything was micced and adjusted for sound. 

8 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

The "older styles" I want drum corps to return to are basically those of 2013-2015.

you mean when Bluecoats were starting to expirement and master a lot of what we hear now? Tilt was beloved....yet a lot of what people are #####ing about in this thread was being utilized then.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

I disagree with Jeff (Ream). The demands for a certain type of show are irrelevant (to participation).

I assert that today's student will perform most anything they're given, and happily if they are successful...

This is just the same as it always has been.

The students are inclined to like and be drawn to what they're taught and familiar with, and generally think similarly to their teachers.

The biggest difference in interest today compared to "older" styles is the awareness of DCI in the schools, and the population boom we've had...

All my opinion of course, but we see more and more participation in the marching arts at the high school level all over the country despite many of these schools not having DCI style shows.

feel free to disagree. you're wrong, but it's your right to be. I know kids out here right now, and they love whats happening now far more than they do stuff even 5 years old.

6 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Drum corps. 

psst....drum corps cd/tapes/albums/8 tracks went through a sound engineer before it got to you

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Okay, then, guess how many DCA competitors are using G horns.  (Hint - rhymes with "done".)

I believe there is one that does.

1 hour ago, One n Done said:

Not sure what you’re trying to convey with your response, besides a need to be contrary.

then read the reply closer.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Mookielove said:

I hope that interview gets posted somewhere. Some commenters on this thread would benefit from watching it.

only if they wish to believe what is said

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

feel free to disagree. you're wrong, but it's your right to be. I know kids out here right now, and they love whats happening now far more than they do stuff even 5 years old.

You're wrong. I know kids out here that love what they do, but they love it all. They are just happy to be able to participate and learn and the style doesn't matter.

See I can do that too.

5 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Do the kids today love drum corps more today than the kids five years ago loved drum corps then?

Who loves "Beneath the Surface" more than "Inferno" and "Relentless"?

• Thanks 2