Favorite Ballad of the Year?

9 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Just saying, if you want to win titles you do shows that live above any one caption. The sum of the parts can’t be less than the whole.

I agree.  Fortunately there was lots of other content.  I don't disagree Crown had visual shortcomings.  OTOH there's nothing wrong with letting music be an effect.  Brass performance for the entire show won them the Ott -- not just one production.  And I think Crown tied first for music -- so the show was not designed around a single caption.  Stupid facts -- they're so annoying.

(And this is WAY off-topic.  Be glad to jump to the Crown thread to continue if you like).  

Edited by karuna
  • Like 2

Major disclosure: “The Mission” is one of my favorite movies and the soundtrack is a favorite too.  So for me, no question it is Crown and “Gabriel’s Oboe.” 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, karuna said:

I agree.  Fortunately there was lots of other content.  I don't disagree Crown had visual shortcomings.  OTOH there's nothing wrong with letting music be an effect.  Brass performance for the entire show won them the Ott -- not just one production.  And I think Crown tied first for music -- so the show was not designed around a single caption.  Stupid facts -- they're so annoying.

(And this is WAY off-topic.  Be glad to jump to the Crown thread to continue if you like).  

Dude who wants to jump on the Crown thread and get jumped on every single time anyone dares to say anything but glowing admiration for anything they do?

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Dude who wants to jump on the Crown thread and get jumped on every single time anyone dares to say anything but glowing admiration for anything they do?

make a new thread -- i won't jump you 🙂 

anyway we're diverting this thread further off course! 

Edited by karuna

1 minute ago, MikeRapp said:

In fairness, almost every corps page is like that too, especially Bloo and Boston

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread about Ballads...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, karuna said:

Maybe they made a conscious choice to just let the music speak in that production and let visual take a back seat.  No monkeybars.  No overproduced sound effects. No silly choreography.  Just the music.  Sorry if it offended your design expertise, but it moved me emotionally more than anything else this season.     I know it's shocking, but music -- all on it's own -- can produce far more effect than any prop can hope to.   And sometimes you just need to let it speak.  Congrats to Crown for reminding us.  

Who said anything about props? I sure didn't. I said that the visual design layered on top of the musical moment was poor, which it was.  Last time I checked the drum corps activity was a musical and VISUAL production. The moment of visual stillness at the impact could have been fantastic had what came before it and after it visually was of good quality. It just wasn't. I sure hope the Crown staff is less belligerent than their fans. When the rest of the competition above you is bringing the whole package all the time and you don't you will get beat. It's as simple as that. That you think good visual design equals PROP is just weird and pretty clueless.

Edited by Spatzzz
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

To you.  No reason to negate everyone else’s choice. 

Well, considering it is a personal favorite ballad of the year thread, Karuna was in the right to saying nothing comes close. That's his personal opinion. I respect your opinions, and you are one of my favorite members of this forum, but your posts about Karuba negating anyone elses opinion is certainly coming out of left field. 

5 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

Well, when you have a select few who get on there to post nothing but negative comments, any negative comment is going to be met brash. It only takes one person to ruin it for everyone. We defend our corps just as well as everyone else. 

Ok everyone we get it. If everyone had to chose a corps that they are NOT a homer for then these lists would be VERY different.  Cavies, crown and BD homers especially since you are the ones saying “not even close”... who did you like other than your beloved?! You know who you are.  Show some appreciation for someone else!

Edited by Den8uml
  • Like 3