Positive Brainstorming/DCA

10 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Partner with DCI for DCA Finals at Allentown maybe? DCI show starts at 5 each evening, have Prelims earlier on Friday and Finals on Saturday?  That would also give both night's audiences the opportunity to see a pretty large chunk of senior corps.

Mike

That's the show I was looking at as well. I really do think that there is SOMETHING there. Logistics can be a real PITA but that's a never ending cycle anyway. 

18 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

I agree about it not being DCI week... also agree that it might be nice to have DCI involved.

I like the "week after finals" idea.  That would put it before schools start going back... and give DCA a "spotlight weekend" for itself.

Of course... as has been mentioned in these threads and other times before... a shortened schedule for the DCA corps might mean a change in how their shows are designed/ taught, and how their offseason programs are structured, to make them "championship-ready" earlier than they are used to.

I actually think you can do two weeks after DCI finals.  this gives DCA one weekend to plug holes with DCI kids if they can.   Sure, not everyone likes the point where hornlines magically grow, but if you can't give those coming back from tour a sample, how can you recruit from them? 

17 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

An earlier season, combined with less weight put onto "combined achievement"  or "layered demand" could be a good thing.   Evaluate on entertainment, and less on how close to DCI a show can be, and maybe you've got something here. 

This. Well said.

17 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

therein lies the rub.  the shows aren't operate by DCA except for prelims and finals.   They are independent of each other.  

Perhaps DCA could have rehearsal weekends, and show weekends.  One weekend in the summer is nothing but rehearsal sat,sun. (or fri,sat,sun) and the next is a two show weekend. alternate, rinse, repeat.  

And the Peckville show in PA... that's a DCA-run gig.  But overall, good points.

13 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

I actually think you can do two weeks after DCI finals.  this gives DCA one weekend to plug holes with DCI kids if they can.   Sure, not everyone likes the point where hornlines magically grow, but if you can't give those coming back from tour a sample, how can you recruit from them? 

Some corps really need the extra personnel, and I agree... exposure to DCA for some DCI members is a good thing. If they keep an open mind, they'll find out quickly that it's not just a bunch of old drunks. LOL

And a corps like the Buccaneers, basically full from the get-go, can just keep moving along with what they've had all summer.

For any structural change to DCA to occur, a majority of current DCA voting Corps Directors need to accept change is necessary. During my time,  just 6 out of 10 voters needed to agree. Assume that's still how things work.

First of all, is there enough agreement to the premise Labor Day Weekend has become a detriment?  I think it creates a problem for recruiting and for attendance, but do the DCA Directors? Perhaps not.

Hopefully, some of our observations will be helpful to DCA charting its future. They have a couple years to come-up with something different, if deemed necessary.

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

That's the show I was looking at as well. I really do think that there is SOMETHING there. Logistics can be a real PITA but that's a never ending cycle anyway. 

Adding a DCA event to the Allentown DCI Weekend would be a major challenge.  That weekend is the busiest tourism weekend in the Lehigh Valley, by far.   In addition to DCI, there’s Musikfest and one of America’s biggest classic car shows. Even though the Greater Allentown Area offers double the number of hotel rooms as it did 20 years ago, they are all booked solid the weekend of those three special events. Some nightly rates increase significantly.

47 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

Adding a DCA event to the Allentown DCI Weekend would be a major challenge.  That weekend is the busiest tourism weekend in the Lehigh Valley, by far.   In addition to DCI, there’s Musikfest and one of America’s biggest classic car shows. Even though the Greater Allentown Area offers double the number of hotel rooms as it did 20 years ago, they are all booked solid the weekend of those three special events. Some nightly rates increase significantly.

Ok, that could be a problem, probably a fatal one. But I will give credit to it probably being the best idea so far.

6 hours ago, Poppycock said:

In another thread Terri Schehr said that this was an option being considered by non NE all age corps that already do DCI shows. DCA made it mandatory that those corps would have to attend their Championships in little league town over Labor Day to be allowed to do a contest in Indy during DCI Championships. Some HOF person challenged her about the proposed breakaway. Don’t know how she knew about it 

she has friends in all the right places

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Mandatory?

The non-NE corps already get more shows from DCI than DCA.  If Labor Day weekend creates too many conflicts for marching members, it is "mandatory" that these corps stop killing themselves... even if it means leaving DCA.

and then you'll be where DCA was in 1965.