Positive Brainstorming/DCA

3 hours ago, C.Holland said:

An earlier season, combined with less weight put onto "combined achievement"  or "layered demand" could be a good thing.   Evaluate on entertainment, and less on how close to DCI a show can be, and maybe you've got something here. 

define entertainment...the so called communication sheet can't

3 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

That's the show I was looking at as well. I really do think that there is SOMETHING there. Logistics can be a real PITA but that's a never ending cycle anyway. 

logisitics are a PITA. musickfest is happening in Bethlehem the same weekend, so hotel options are getting harder and harder to find. Corps are are already seeing housing an hour or more away from the show site

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

she has friends in all the right places

And then there’s the rest of us... 🙄

13 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

And then there’s the rest of us... 🙄

well, she and i have introduced each other to friends when we see each other. You just stay home and watch on TV

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

well, she and i have introduced each other to friends when we see each other. You just stay home and watch on TV

Actually we met at Annapolis but I’m so horrible at names I didn’t realize “that person we talked to at the stadium” was DCP Terri until we swapped some posts.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

and then you'll be where DCA was in 1965.

Maybe... if they have learned nothing in the past 55 years.

(To refresh old memories, I believe Jeff is referring to the civil war among top senior corps in 1964-1965, when half the top corps were in DCA and the other half were not.  Both sides bickered and refused to compete with each other, causing corps to pull out of third-party-sponsored shows with short notice, and burning some bridges in the process.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

define entertainment...the so called communication sheet can't

What sort of reaction does it get.  Not reaction from the people in polos with a patch on them, but the people whom bought tickets.  When it stops being about how the educated ones in the box get it, and becomes about the ones buying tickets, you may see some fun results.

Actual general effect, not perceived general affect.

the Sevierville, TN show had an audience vote.  Where they simply put assigned 1-8 on the sheet of their favorite performance of the night.  And folded it up, and put it into the box.  Someone counted it, and a trophy was then presented. Man, if you had that come as a DCA phone app...  give it 20%.  see what happens. 

7 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Maybe... if they have learned nothing in the past 55 years.

(To refresh old memories, I believe Jeff is referring to the civil war among top senior corps in 1964-1965, when half the top corps were in DCA and the other half were not.  Both sides bickered and refused to compete with each other, causing corps to pull out of third-party-sponsored shows with short notice, and burning some bridges in the process.)

Ahhh... the good old days. :lol:

In various forums over the years, Tom Peashey has talked about the negotiating that went on to bring the Caballeros into DCA in 1966. Sunrisers also joined that year... then, from what I recall, for all intents and purposes the dam broke and more corps came on board in the years to follow.

In the "why am I bothering to post this quite possibly useless trivia" department...LOL... I believe the Caballeros and the San Francisco Renegades are the only two corps to have made DCA finals (Open Class) every year they attended. Renegades from 2002 through 2012... Caballeros from 1966 to the present.

And again... from what I recall... the Generations from Rhode Island are the only DCA corps to have won more championships than they lost. Three seasons... 1998-2000... and two Class A titles.

So there ya go. :tongue:

4 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

What sort of reaction does it get.  Not reaction from the people in polos with a patch on them, but the people whom bought tickets.  When it stops being about how the educated ones in the box get it, and becomes about the ones buying tickets, you may see some fun results.

Actual general effect, not perceived general affect.

the Sevierville, TN show had an audience vote.  Where they simply put assigned 1-8 on the sheet of their favorite performance of the night.  And folded it up, and put it into the box.  Someone counted it, and a trophy was then presented. Man, if you had that come as a DCA phone app...  give it 20%.  see what happens. 

Of course, you have opened this up to the inevitable criticisms of "clap show" results... hometown corps would have a better chance, etc, etc., fans would vote in advance before even seeing the shows, etc., etc. 

I get all that. But I gotta be honest... I like the idea.  DCA needs to shake things up, to put some of the spotlight back onto itself. This might be one way to accomplish that. I don't think they have anything to lose with something like this.

If the goal is to sell more tickets... and that should always be the goal, IMO... then perhaps...

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Actually we met at Annapolis but I’m so horrible at names I didn’t realize “that person we talked to at the stadium” was DCP Terri until we swapped some posts.

I was trying to get them to open the handicapped bathroom for you and Kris.  I think I ###### a couple of people off.  Oh well. Sleeping okay at night anyway.  💤 

• Thanks 1