Positive Brainstorming/DCA

23 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Yes! When I pushed for more information from a reliable source it was said the president of DCA had a meeting with DCI ED and someone named Susan from DCI, and requested that DCI no longer talk directly with any administration from any all age groups concerning a contest in Indy during Championship week. Also told DCI to only discuss directly through the DCA Office about any show during DCI week in Indy

I remember that thread as well and it wasn't all that long ago. Terri will certainly know more. 

23 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Seems that these groups are concerned more about their existence and well being than DCA is. 

At least on the surface, that would be a fair statement to consider. Not knowing any specifics, it's hard to come to any other conclusion. What I don't want to see happen is that DCA (whomever that may be in charge,) treats the Association how Roman treated Pioneer. I don't want to see an activity driven into the ground because it's someones "baby" and if they can't manage it then let it all burn. I am, however, smart enough to admit that I don't know what I don't know. There could be a lot of things going on that would shift my perception. 

Jim Cook from Star said something once along the lines that you had to know where your strengths are. If you aren't capable of managing the position you're in, have the common sense to put someone in that position who can be successful. Delegate the responsibility to those who can make things happen and believe in the product. I'm not worried about a Buccs dynasty. At this point, it will mean nothing if there isn't a DCA for them to be champions of. 

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

Mandatory?

The non-NE corps already get more shows from DCI than DCA.  If Labor Day weekend creates too many conflicts for marching members, it is "mandatory" that these corps stop killing themselves... even if it means leaving DCA.

If I’m heading a non-NE  corps and can get enough competitions from DCI and going to DCA Weekend is a budget (or member) killer... no brainer here....

Would be watching DCA from the Internet and not at the host town...

and lived my whole life in PA and saying this

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

If I’m heading a non-NE  corps and can get enough competitions from DCI and going to DCA Weekend is a budget (or member) killer... no brainer here....

Would be watching DCA from the Internet and not at the host town...

and lived my whole life in PA and saying this

There are a minimum of 6 DCI shows within 2 hours of CV. There are 2 DCA shows and if I remember correctly, CV hosts them both in some capacity. I'll take 6 scores, thank you. I've been saying it for years as well as many of you here have been saying it. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Poppycock said:

In another thread Terri Schehr said that this was an option being considered by non NE all age corps that already do DCI shows. DCA made it mandatory that those corps would have to attend their Championships in little league town over Labor Day to be allowed to do a contest in Indy during DCI Championships. Some HOF person challenged her about the proposed breakaway. Don’t know how she knew about it 

Jim told me. 

18 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Sometime between the last week in July and the 2nd week in August there has to be some flex room. It doesn't necessarily HAVE to be the week on DCI finals. It could be the week before in say, Pittsburgh. Or, if the money is right...which it could be with DCI's marketing, etc., then have it a week after finals. I don't think Finals week is the best case scenario given the current schedule. But surely there is something better than the model that we have now. I would LOVE to have the Open and World Class crowds there for DCA Prelims and Finals but I don't think the logistics work out. So what's the solution? 

Partner with DCI for DCA Finals at Allentown maybe? DCI show starts at 5 each evening, have Prelims earlier on Friday and Finals on Saturday?  That would also give both night's audiences the opportunity to see a pretty large chunk of senior corps.

Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

There are a minimum of 6 DCI shows within 2 hours of CV. There are 2 DCA shows and if I remember correctly, CV hosts them both in some capacity. I'll take 6 scores, thank you. I've been saying it for years as well as many of you here have been saying it. 

Wondering why CV wouldn’t forfeit there DCA membership and become a independent all age organization?

Could they do a show in Indy during Championship week not being a DCA member? I would think so!

Perhaps that is something the non  N.E. all age groups should consider. Then if they want to go to little league town too they can but forfeit membership rights not being a DCA affiliate. 

Edited by Poppycock

15 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Definitely not dismissing it out of hand. 

But I can all but guarantee that one corps in particular will make whatever adjustments are needed. The name of that corps should be obvious.  LOL. The rest... I would hope they would, too. However, like VO has said... who knows. Everyone else has been playing catchup to that one corps for more than a decade now.

An earlier season, combined with less weight put onto "combined achievement"  or "layered demand" could be a good thing.   Evaluate on entertainment, and less on how close to DCI a show can be, and maybe you've got something here. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Yes! When I pushed for more information from a reliable source it was said the president of DCA had a meeting with DCI ED and someone named Susan from DCI, and requested that DCI no longer talk directly with any administration from any all age groups concerning a contest in Indy during Championship week. Also told DCI to only discuss directly through the DCA Office about any show during DCI week in Indy  

If there were to be any contest for all age groups that it would be a DCA show and all competing groups would have to commit to going to little league town to be allowed to complete in the Indy show. 

Essentially DCA blocked the possibility of all age groups forming their own circuit within DCI. The intent of these non NE groups was to begin and end their season the same as the other DCI corps, allowing for more participation and greater recruiting opportunities.

Seems that these groups are concerned more about their existence and well being than DCA is. 

Wow.  Several problems with that statement.

• DCA does not own the entire all-age universe.  I suppose they can make any number of rules regarding DCA corps, but they have no say over non-DCA corps.
  • Along those lines, when DCA bars a corps from competing in their circuit for failure to meet all their own demands (i.e. come to us Labor Day weekend, field 35 members, etc.), they are no longer a DCA corps.  Membership is severed, and the corps is immediately removed from the DCA website as if they no longer exist.  (At that point, I would hope corps like MBI and Chops were allowed to talk to DCI directly about that SoundSport contest they both competed in on the day of 2019 DCI finals.)
  • And what about a corps who meets all the requirements, and cannot get any DCA shows?  This is a common plight for non-NE corps, who simply have no DCA shows anywhere near them.  It can also be a problem for new corps in the NE, who clear all the hurdles only to find that no DCA show wants them (i.e. Highland Regiment).
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, KeithHall said:

The other issue to look at is the amount of corps participating in a/any show. Years ago when I was with Crusaders, it was the same 4 corps at a show...Cru, ES, Brigs and Grenadiers. If we traveled east we'd see Cabs, Bucs, Bush, etc. But look at today....how many shows are there each week and how many corps participate in each show? Is it safe to say there are 7 to 8 weekends of DCA Competition? Also the corps from the south and Mid west don't come up to northeast every weekend and NE corps have rarely gone south or west. 

So couldn't the DCA season be shortened by 2 or 3 weekends and have their championships the weekend after or before DCI? Now mind you, these aren't concrete idea I have but things I'm throwing out to all of you. I am NO expert and will never claim to be one. I leave that up to the experts! (Whoever they are).

Some of us old timers are always thinking Labor Day weekend because it's tradition. However traditionally DCA was known as the senior corps circuit and comprised of people 22 and older. Today it's a different story. How many young people use DCA corps as a stepping stone to march with the top corps in DCI? How many MM's are over 40? 50? 60 today? How many DCA corps are maxed to the number? 

Can DCA get by with putting out 6 competitions a year that have a great line-up and make it more enjoyable for audience members?

Something else to consider.....almost every rule DCI implements is also implemented with DCA. Also, as DCI corps change the way they present shows, so does DCA corps. The quality maybe less than DCI but still......

Just somethings to ponder and continue the brainstorming about the drum corps activity!

therein lies the rub.  the shows aren't operate by DCA except for prelims and finals.   They are independent of each other.  

Perhaps DCA could have rehearsal weekends, and show weekends.  One weekend in the summer is nothing but rehearsal sat,sun. (or fri,sat,sun) and the next is a two show weekend. alternate, rinse, repeat.  

4 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Partner with DCI for DCA Finals at Allentown maybe? DCI show starts at 5 each evening, have Prelims earlier on Friday and Finals on Saturday?  That would also give both night's audiences the opportunity to see a pretty large chunk of senior corps.

Mike

I like this. Seems reasonable, not a travel burden. The only downside is the shortened schedule.