2020 Rules Proposals

12 hours ago, Slingerland said:

You’re making my point. It’s not their concern. So they shouldn’t be proposing things that will cause others who DO bear responsibility to suck up their messes. 

I disagree in theory. Their job is to design. 

12 hours ago, MikeD said:

When I started marching G/D horns had one valve and a slipside. Drum corps started before DCI. 

Right but it had no woodwinds 

8 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

It will be quite something if a bunch of legacy fans quite DCI because they mistakenly believe woodwinds are now approved.

The words gone out near and far

4 hours ago, garfield said:

And when Old Man Legacy's marching-member grandson comes home from camp all pumped up, sourpuss-moneybags Mr. Legacy will gladly open his wallet and heart when he hears A/I failed.  He'll be back.  They'll be back here for the (mostly supposition) drama and banter, and he'll probably still pay for Jimmy's tour fees.  If 'Coats do another show like last year, he definitely won't buy a CD or download.  Jimmy ages out in two years so, by next Janual, Old Man Dino Legacy Money-Bags won't give a #### any more what you do with your band-thing.

Right after Jimmy shows him again how to turn on his laptop.

/s

Before we go on with the new moniker, I think it's important that we define the approximate age when we can define "legacy" versus, what, "Newbies"?  "Rookie Fan"?  

Ya know you can be cool when not being rude

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tim K said:

What decisions made do not have a financial impact? Everything in drum corps costs money. Though I am in the camp that wants drum corps to not include woodwinds, if it had passed, what the instructors have to say would have had more of an impact on me than if the directors agreed. In many cases, the instructors have a better idea of what will work and why than directors. 

Also, I’d not rush to the conclusion that the person who proposed the idea lost. As others have said, without increasing the number of marching members having woodwinds could be a disadvantage. Others mentioned care of the instruments while on tour. These issues are not a nod to tradition, but practical matters. The next time around, these and other issues could be solved. So I think that those of us who did not support the woodwind idea can breath a temporary sigh of relief, but I’m not sure it’s over.  

I want to agree with you, then I remember the hype about amplification and the experts yet remember how #### poor it was in actual application the first 5-6 years 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

I disagree in theory. Their job is to design. 

Yep and job of others to say “WHOA!!”.

Inside joke when we found out people we knew blew thru a good sized inheritance. “#### didn’t someone see the balance going to zero and say WHOA!!”

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

So it will live in the super-double-secret DCI safe (along with the 75 'chachos score)?

That was ripped up at Franklin Field so it never left Philly. It’s probably long gone from the South Jersey landfill 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Right but it had no woodwinds 

The logic seems to be that since some things change, therefore there should be no limits on other things that should be allowed to change. Seems overly simplistic to me. I like a more nuanced approach - step one: know what your identity is, know who you are and what you’re about; step two: consider changes that support step one and can be done with financial responsibility. Changes that eliminate your identity are dumb to consider. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1