If Gawd forbid Drum Corps is canceled this summer, What are your alternate plans?

21 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Western Europe just isn’t worth it anymore 

Eastern Europe is the bomb 

Poland Prague Budapest etc 

Munich....so worth it. 

Just now, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Munich....so worth it. 

Munich is fine but the EU has essentially taking all the specialness out of Western Europe, now it’s mostly just old buildings 

the small towns away from the bustle are still ok

all imo having travelled to Europe about 40 times 

57 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Munich....so worth it. 

Especially late September into October for Oktoberfest.    https://www.oktoberfest.de/en

Only tent for D&BC fans.    https://www.oktoberfest.de/en/beer-tents/big-tents/loewenbraeu-festzelt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTWnGry8XJo

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Munich is fine but the EU has essentially taking all the specialness out of Western Europe, now it’s mostly just old buildings 

the small towns away from the bustle are still ok

all imo having travelled to Europe about 40 times 

I can understand how that could be true from a seasoned travelers perspective. I would still think that most people would love to have the opportunity to travel to some of the main tourist spots and would find enjoyment in it. Small towns are always the best pretty much anywhere IMHO. I do still love Cornwall and would love to go back at some point. I tell people all the time, you should to the places everyone else goes if your interested in saying "I've been there." Then, after you've seen all that, go back and hit the places that aren't on the beaten path. 

2 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Especially late September into October for Oktoberfest.    https://www.oktoberfest.de/en

Yep! If you haven't experienced it, you just can't understand the sheer scale LOL. The closest we have in the SE is in Helen, GA., and it's quite frankly awful. 

12 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Really? Glad you enjoyed but I just find it such a tourist trap 

Yeah, but sometimes you’re a tourist, LOL.  Plus it was my daughter’s “ I want to do this” pick of things to do or see.   She has a fear of heights and she picked kissing the Blarney Stone to get past it.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Yeah, but sometimes you’re a tourist, LOL.  Plus it was my daughter’s “ I want to do this” pick of things to do or see.   She has a fear of heights and she picked kissing the Blarney Stone to get past it.

I get it. It's kind of like going to the Louvre to see the Mona Lisa (and of course, all the other brilliant art.) You should do it to say you've done it. But once you've jockeyed for position to see a tiny painting from 20 feet away with 40 other people doing the same thing, you don't usually feel the need to do it again. When I last saw her, she wasn't even in the same place as she is now. I felt the same way way about pretty much everything in London. Once I had "been there and done that," I don't feel the need to go back unless I'm with someone who's never been. I even felt the same way about Stone Henge. It could also be that I was between 5 and 12 years of age when all this travel went down and probably didn't appreciate it the way I do things now. I think sometimes that travel to certain places can be somewhat wasted on the very young. 

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Lol finally made it to England years back and stayed two weeks. First did total tourist in London to see the big historic places. Second week with family in Bristol and acted like a local who talked with a funny accent. Only tourist bit that week was train trip to Wales so Welsh heritage wife could say she was there. Looking back the most enjoyable parts we’re non-touristy and being with the locals. (Insert night at our London hotel restaurant/bar which seemed to be HQ for St Helens Saints rugby(?) fans. Haven’t lived until you’ve heard countless renditions of “When the saints go marching in” in drunk cockney)

• Like 1