Coronavirus predictions, projections, models, facts and opinions.

33 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

It's hard to see how 42,000+ Americans dead in 52 days isn't important to more than "some". It seems to be the leading cause of death this April, apparently having overtaken heart disease and cancer, neither of which overwhelms intensive care units or puts doctors and nurses at risk.

Approximately 1.1 million people in the U.S. are living with HIV today. About 14 percent of them (1 in 7) don’t know it and need testing. Let’s not make one issue more important than another thank you. 

• Confused 1

37 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

Oh yes, yes, yes.  You mean like [...] August 2017?  Yeah, no.  [...] not my idea of true "civil unrest".  I agree that we need to get back as close to normal as soon as this virus is under control, but these protesters are reckless at best. [...] The only way to restart our economy is with every type of MASS TESTING of just about everyone that goes out into society (work force, students, recreational activities, protesters, etc.). [....] three current polls show the majority of the public thinks [...] we do not need to rush into a reckless act of opening our economy too soon. [...] Of course, our country is in different places right now as to the spread but our numbers have been for the most part kept in check.  But that could all change in the next couple of weeks.

I think the challenge is that this is such an unprecedented situation (except for the very few people older than 101) that our minds just weren't prepared to conceive how bad this could get and how drastic the necessary steps to stop the spread would have to be. We'll be lucky if don't break 100,000 deaths just from this first wave--despite all that's been done. It's still not clear that U.S. deaths have reached their peak yet (fingers crossed that they have). Imagine telling people back in January that 90% of the country would have to be locked down for a month or two to save hundreds of thousands or millions of lives, and that even having done that we'd probably lose this many people. It's hard to grasp, and I get why some people still can't believe it.

That said, there definitely is some overlap between some of the people currently protesting stay-at-home orders and those at previous protests like the one you mention and in some of the rhetoric being used about the orders (search for pictures from the recent protest in Columbus, for an obvious example). One of the nation's worst outbreaks is in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, where more than 600 people who work at a pork-processing plant have tested positive -- that's out of 3,700 people who work there. I'm reading comments, even from people who should know better, attributing that infection rate to the fact that the workers are immigrants who live with their many relatives in small apartments. Way to blame the people who process our food (this plant alone processes 5% of the nation's pork) but apparently aren't paid enough to afford larger homes for their families.

Meanwhile, here in Ohio, our numbers are up in part because of a prison in Marion (well known for its drum corps competitions back in the day), where most or all of the inmates have been tested -- and that one prison now accounts for 16% of the state's cases. Some people are dismissing that because most of the sick there are criminals, but even setting aside the fact that their sentences didn't include "pandemic virus", there are people who work in prisons!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

its getting close..grows like a weed....lol

I’m glad that both medical and recreational marijuana dispensaries or delivery services throughout the state are still open. At least Gavin understands priorities. 

Edited by Poppycock
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Poppycock said:

I can’t wait for my hairstylist to become essential. 

Actually my dog groomer is allowed to operate... kind of.  Only allowed to work on dogs that would get matted if not groomed for a while. Had to pass a social distancing check to be allowed to open. But most dog owners are concerned about nails not being cut. Can’t go in the shop so hand over dog from the car outside. Pet stores and place that makes pet food considered essential.

on what’s left of my hair decided no beard trimming until this is over. Will probably be Dirty Santa by then... Niece is stylist and place is closed, her hubby makes dog food so working 🤭

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

It's hard to see how 42,000+ Americans dead in 52 days isn't important to more than "some". It seems to be the leading cause of death this April, apparently having overtaken heart disease and cancer, neither of which overwhelms intensive care units or puts doctors and nurses at risk.

But if it doesn’t affect ME..... and of course that wouldn’t happen to ME.... 🤮

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1