Colorado Marching Band Cancelled

2 hours ago, MikeD said:

Mod hat again...

Please refrain from attempting to circumvent the language filter with abbreviations.

Thank you.

I hope you get paid for this!!!  Tough job. 

Edited by greg_orangecounty
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ironlips said:

Quite a few, actually. I have judged many shows there.

Anybody have a rough figure? Here in Ohio, according to Wikipedia, there are 878 high schools. I don't know how many have marching bands, but approximately 225 high school bands compete under the auspices of one or more of three organizations (OMEA, MSBA, and/or BOA).

37 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I hope you paid for this!!!  Tough job. 

I think probably speak for lots of people when I say I have great respect and appreciation for the difficult job you do, MikeD.  😊 

Edited by skevinp
  • Like 1

The situation in Georgia at least seems to be holding steady and not getting worse, to judge from the appearance of these maps that were posted to the state dept. of health website on July 2 and July 17:

July 2:

EdKHLQRWsAIHgRr?format=jpg&name=medium

July 17:

EdKHLQzWkAY2ZqH?format=jpg&name=medium

Only three counties in the red zone on both maps, and the number of counties in the other color categories seem to be staying the same. The state's outbreak must be plateauing. Good news, Georgia.

/sarcasm

Edited by N.E. Brigand

5 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

So disappointed. Clicked on this thread expecting to read 55 pages of Colorado high school band updates.   

i expect more band cancellations to come

2 hours ago, MikeD said:

Mod hat again...

Please refrain from attempting to circumvent the language filter with abbreviations.

Thank you.

####

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Continental said:

Is there another in an alternate universe?

yeah during an actual season

In 2009, during the H1N1 flu outbreak, more than 700 schools in the U.S. were closed as a way of slowing the spread. Here's a 2011 study that looked at how effective those measures were (more in some places than others):

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3039590/

The H1N1 flu outbreak killed about 12,000 Americans over the course of a year.

As everyone knows, Covid-19 has killed about 140,000 Americans in four-and-a-half months (a number that, as was noted earlier today, is almost certainly a significant undercount, which is normal during such outbreaks).