Mandarins - Here We Go Again

48 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I find the reporting on the Mandarins thus far to be unsatisfactory, yes. There are basic facts we don't know, and others we only know because of social media posts or from statements by the corps.

And in general, drum corps reporting is terrible. I don't mean that as disparagement of the work of any of the part-time or amateur journalists who work for Drum Corps World. I mean that, as I described generally, there's far too little of it. If a high school sports team fired an assistant coach following allegations of mistreatment, or let go another coach with a terse, foreboding statement, the local paper would cover it. Or at least that's how things used to be. The Mandarins have many more players than your average high school sports team.

(Not sure about the 2018 date you reference.)

9 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

I think he meant that 2018 is when journalism discovered George Hopkins.

No, I’m pretty sure it was NE who pointed out in the Mandarins’ announcement included a single reference to some information from 2018 (at Mandarins) the was possibly corroborative of their decision to end the relationship with the staff member.  If it was someone else, my apology, but the issue itself is true.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, garfield said:

No, I’m pretty sure it was NE who pointed out in the Mandarins’ announcement included a single reference to some information from 2018 (at Mandarins) the was possibly corroborative of their decision to end the relationship with the staff member.  If it was someone else, my apology, but the issue itself is true.

That might have been the WGI announcement.  Is this what you were thinking of?

On 8/13/2020 at 4:42 PM, keystone3ply said:

UPDATE; WGI Statement just released:

https://www.wgi.org/wgi-statement-august-13-2020/?fbclid=IwAR0HVWnnxsXsGowMxLl1yLo0ElKvMDguuU3fLOpmvuVzKs9WcLfjV-9OAB8

We want to update you on recent actions we’ve taken surrounding the events involving one of our Hall of Fame members, Ike Jackson, a California-based high school percussion instructor. In response to recent accounts of Mr. Jackson’s misconduct, WGI Sport of the Arts has retained the services of T&M Protection Resources to conduct an investigation into these reports, as well as the information that was provided to WGI in 2018. T&M is a highly qualified, professional firm with extensive experience assisting institutions in matters similar to this and its team is being led by Senior Managing Director, Lauren Mack, Esq. and Managing Director, Deborah Katz, Esq.  (snip)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, MikeD said:

However, I would guess that the Mandarins have few members local to their home location of Sacramento, the same as most WC corps. There is not as much community interest for local newspapers to cover things drum corps related on a general basis as there is covering sports teams based in their community, made up of students from their community, as part of covering the local school system happenings.

It takes something as big as the GH stuff to bring in the news media. 

Who is this GH you speak of? :peek:

51 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Common MAN! :muahaha:

You got me to click drag to find your "space" :lol:

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, E3D said:

Who is this GH you speak of? :peek:

I was going to post something funny but found this video.  Lori with "The White Rabbit" talking about the original story from "The Morning Call".  
She starts 
with "can you guys know how to keep a beat?"  Then she pronounces "YEA", (Youth Education in the Arts) as "Yeah".  "Yeah" etc...  
If you missed it like me , enjoy:

Edited by keystone3ply
cx

22 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

I was going to post something funny but found this video.  Lori with "The White Rabbit" talking about the original story from "The Morning Call".  
She starts 
with "can you guys know how to keep a beat?"  Then she pronounces "YEA", (Youth Education in the Arts) as "Yeah".  "Yeah" etc...  
If you missed it like me , enjoy:

Well YEAH! 

• Haha 1

On 8/26/2020 at 4:49 PM, 27Socal said:

People, please.   Can you stick to the topic,  which is the allegations against Ike Jackson?   You are wasting a lot of other people's time who are trying to find the actual topic info, with this nonsense.

If someone can't find that information by the time they reach page 30 of this thread, then that's on them.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1