DCI partnering with Varsity Performing Arts to launch "SoundSport Scholastic" events

"Vultures are scavengers, meaning they eat dead animals. They rarely attack healthy animals, but may kill the wounded or sick." (source)

On 8/30/2020 at 1:35 AM, Jeff Ream said:

Varsity makes the rules, not the cheer groups. hence the difference

Isn't it correct that DCI has a rules committee that makes the rules for performance/competition?  Are you saying it's NOT separate and distinct from the member corps?

Are the drum corps making the rules under which they themselves are competing at all DCI-sanctioned events?  Isn't that exactly what Varsity is being pilloried for as a for-profit?

Is the DCI rules committee separate from DCI's member corps.  Are they making rules in a vacuum, ignorant of the activity's current circumstances, demands, and abilities?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, garfield said:

Question for the herd:

If Bain Capital's charitable arm, Bridgespan Group, is providing, or would provide, funding in any way to any drum corps located in the Boston area, would those dollars be tainted by the contention that such charitable arms of such investment firms as Bain Capital are the playground of the 1%?  And, thereby, should any and all such support (purely hypothetical and without substantiation on my part) of local drum corps, or the activity as a whole be disavowed?

To be clear, Bridgespan is a consulting org for NPOs, not a foundation themselves. They charge for their consulting services to charities.

That being said, DCI (the organization owned by the member corps) should be aggressively seeking outside eyes to help them figure out what a future can look like, as the current eyes looking at the problem are cruising at 5,000 feet, rather than having the 35,000 foot viewpoint needed. If getting some sort of relationship started with a Bain investment (which is the extent of Bain's position with Varsity) led to additional opportunities for outside expertise, chalk me up as a favorable nod in that direction.

But I kinda doubt it'd ever happen. DCI and the member corps can't even figure out how to join up with BOA/MFA, which should be the lowest of the low hanging fruit out there. 

Edited by Slingerland
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Logged back on to check a PM and saw updates to this thread. Lmao no one knows reasons or plans or the future or what the powers that be are thinking..... 

But we sure got some people who can tell you what is going on and what the future will hold..... which includes what will be left over after Covid....

Time for drive to jury duty and check back in a week or three...

• Like 3

Hmm...

I'm not on the inside of the SS/DLB business vision, but I just saw a FB post of a DLB contest between the FreePlayers and a HS group.  Isn't SS and DLB already "known" by band directors as a platform?  I strongly agree that nothing will happen without band/music director approval and, so far, well... Wouldn't a growing number of HS groups and participating prove, or not, the success of SS/DLB in schools? I really appreciate the platform for the FreePlayers to perform.  That's fantastic.  If the platform won't interfere with existing programs, is it only summer participation that differentiates the Varsity/SS-DLB platform from other indoor HS groups?  Band directors adopting SS/DLB for their kids' summer.    Many I've heard from thinks summers are for band camp and DCI interferes with those camps. 

I'm not peeing on the Cheerios here, just trying to be realistic and repeating "Sounds crazy, might work".

I would guess that the "known" varies among HS band directors from intimate knowledge to none among the 25K HS band directors. HS band directors with close ties to the DCI activity via their own or MB staff involvement would know at least something about SS. Those with little or no DCI involvement would not. Some would know about Varsity in general if their school has competitive cheering, which might be a plus or a minus, depending on their own viewpoint of that activity.

The DCI article mentions this starting in the fall of 2021. Not sure if that means Varsity is looking to a fall/winter framework or eventually summer. I have doubts about band director support of something like this, at least around my geographic area. Many directors already do not support their students participating in DCI to any great degree, based on their own band summer needs. Some do of course, but a lot do not. Adding in a SS activity?

If it is in the fall, unless they are looking to take over competitive MB circuits, I have doubts about adding yet another band circuit. Maybe Varsity will aim at schools that do not participate all that much in competition as an alternative performance opportunity. Again, that may be a tough sell. A lot of band directors look at marching band as a necessary evil in the fall, even some that do at least a few competitions. We tend to look at things through "drum corps eyes" here.

If it becomes a winter thing, again, there are already circuits in place for percussion, winds and guard. 

I always like the idea of more choices, but we'll see with this DCI/Varsity thing. Maybe they will find a niche. If so, good for them. 

5 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

To be clear, Bridgespan is a consulting org for NPOs, not a foundation themselves. They charge for their consulting services to charities.

That being said, DCI (the organization owned by the member corps) should be aggressively seeking outside eyes to help them figure out what a future can look like, as the current eyes looking at the problem are cruising at 5,000 feet, rather than having the 35,000 foot viewpoint needed. If getting some sort of relationship started with a Bain investment (which is the extent of Bain's position with Varsity) led to additional opportunities for outside expertise, chalk me up as a favorable nod in that direction.

But I kinda doubt it'd ever happen. DCI and the member corps can't even figure out how to join up with BOA/MFA, which should be the lowest of the low hanging fruit out there. 

Yes, correct on Bridgespan.  And a quick look at their WEBSITE shows it consults on social impact more than anything else.

Here's Bridgespan's own description of their relationship to Bain:

"The Bridgespan-Bain & Company Partnership Bridgespan and Bain & Company are separate, independent organizations with no legal affiliation; however, the close relationship between the two has been a key factor in Bridgespan’s history and development. In addition to having incubated Bridgespan and committing more than $10 million in seed capital and ongoing grants—plus essential infrastructure support—Bain generously offers Bridgespan employees access to its intellectual capital and thought leaders. In turn, Bridgespan hosts Bain consultants for six-month externships. We also are privileged to have Bain senior management team members serving on our Board of Trustees. "

Isn't it correct that DCI has a rules committee that makes the rules for performance/competition?  Are you saying it's NOT separate and distinct from the member corps?

Are the drum corps making the rules under which they themselves are competing at all DCI-sanctioned events?  Isn't that exactly what Varsity is being pilloried for as a for-profit?

Is the DCI rules committee separate from DCI's member corps.  Are they making rules in a vacuum, ignorant of the activity's current circumstances, demands, and abilities?

The DCI rules are what the DCI member corps directors approve by their vote.  Why would you suggest otherwise?

You're thinking speaking too narrowly about what DCI can and can't do. 

Fixed that for you.

Do drum corps attract HS and college-aged kids?  Don't those kids attend scholastic programs?  Wouldn't it be great to have a presence - even a promotional presence - in that arena from which DCI can recruit?  You're not incorrect that DCI has to build its tour around scholastics.  You are incorrect that DCI can't "be" in that space to encourage kids to cross over into summer band.

Absolutely.  DCI can market to, and recruit from, the scholastic space all they want. 

But operating in the scholastic space is another matter.  When DCI decided to double down on being "educational" and making scholastic music students their recruiting/marketing focus, that meant respecting scholastic programs, advocating "school first" with their marching membership, and deferring quite a bit to scholastic marching band schedules.  In return, they get cooperation from band directors with recruiting, marketing, and even housing to some extent... and they have made marketing/recruiting partners out of the larger band industry and community.  DCI must be careful not to step too hard on the toes of those many partners when hatching a new venture.

10 hours ago, garfield said:

So, your research that Bain "isn't a fan" is based on two blogs, both of which are written by SJWs and angrily claim that

1. Bain has a charity for their convenience, and

2. It's nothing more than a "playground" for the 1% to "hide" money

Bain isn't af fan of "doing business" with non-profits?  They STARTED ONE to run charitable events around Boston.

This isn't "research".  It's angry opinion wrapped in biased, self-supporting, hand-picked evidence.

If non-profits are, in fact, the playthings of the wealthy, shouldn't your claim be that Bain loves sheltering profits in charitable endeavors so much that they started their own?

I'm hoping there's more than this, and the three or four posts linked in the show notes, that is the foundational research behind the podcast.

write offs. look how little they give

10 hours ago, garfield said:

...and NOT support DCI, the platform started by the drum corps themselves.  Great.

Seeing the "we" reveals your bias, Jeff.

I see nothing at all, not a single word, in this podcast to support your claim that it's "positive" toward the activity.

Furthermore, I hear several unsubstantiated and angry claims made against DCI and it's policies.  I'll wait for corroboration beyond just opinion before placing any validity at all on them.  Mr. Weldy's anger at DCI is only demonstrated in his cast, not proven by it.

If you support the corps, you support DCI because as you always remind us

DCI IS THE CORPS.

shame when your usual mantra is turned against you now isn'###?