2021 latest news

3 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

If a corps decides to go the full 150 route. Keep having rebuilding flashbacks of when my old corps came back after a year off. Started late and lot of issues finding members, equipment and $$$. Goal was simply to put together a show for prelims to show people we were back (and build for the future). In this case a DCI corps could do “something” at Indy to show themselves (and build for the future).

Yes - BITD outside of the top 10 or so it was always surprising when some Corps showed up with either a lot more or fewer members than they had in the previous year.  I recall Guardsmen going from a full corps one year to ~ 25-30 brass the next.  And 78 Cavaliers (non-finalist) with maybe 40 brass had a full line the next year.  (for all you young whippersnappers out there, back then most Corps had far fewer college music-education majors than today, and primarily recruited more-or-less locally).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

It is also good that some Corps are looking at the financials and making a a decision based on reality 

Based on THEIR reality. SCV's financial and local realities are going to be different than some of the other corps out there, and DCI's proposal allows each member to work at a level that they feel is productive and comfortable and safe, for the members as we as the organizations themselves.

Bluntly, with the upheavals and challenges at SCV recently, their best route might have always been to take a year and regroup anyway. They made the right decision for them.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ghost said:

It's not too late to join the bandwagon of us and corps who feel it's not worth taking a chance on a watered down season. There's a lot of logistics, expenses, shaking the volunteer trees, etc. that some corps feel is not for them at this time.  The top corps, who skip whatever a 2021 "season" is like, will get great talent come next November, and their war chests will be stronger to maintain or sign up the top teaching/writing staff.

From the latest news, I and many others don't have much choice. Life goes on. Live our lives scared or just live? 

• Haha 2

For DCI week where do corps usually stay and practice? And how far away from Indy are the facilities? Thinking of 2021 logistics.

12 minutes ago, O'Neal's said:

From the latest news, I and many others don't have much choice. Life goes on. Live our lives scared or just live? 

What does this have to do with the financial responsibility post you answered?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

What does this have to do with the financial responsibility post you answered?

Well that’s the 3rd or 4th post I’ve made that you (ONiels) added a laughing face at lower right as a response. Hope you do make a corps so you can learn maturity when dealing with others

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, tesmusic said:

So you’d encourage organizations to abandon fiscal responsibility and member experience to so you can watch marching band? 

pointing out things like cost and logistics have zero effect on this poster.

the guidelines and protocols DCI is going to require is going to jack costs way up. like way up. so what revenue other than fees from the kids are corps going to get? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Old Corps Guy said:

If this happens, and I do mean "IF" I see this shaping up to be a DCI East/Midwest combo.  Corps that can afford it while keeping up with all the required protocols and limited travel distance will be the only ones participating by the time we get to August.

given the limited revenue...who can afford it? the protocols required are going to be incredibly costly. So far 2 of the corps we know that COULD afford it decided not to do it.

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

For DCI week where do corps usually stay and practice? And how far away from Indy are the facilities? Thinking of 2021 logistics.

It occurs to me that if, say, 5 Corps go to Indy that it will be less hard to find facilities than if, say 20 show up.

I wonder if DCI has a decided on the number of Corps that need to show up to make the whole thing happen.  I would suggest that 5 is too few, and 20 probably would do it from DCI's point of view.  But this is a gut feeling, without any number crunching whatsoever.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, ironlips said:

All kidding aside, Contra Costa County has entered the "purple zone" in the last couple of days, with a significant explosion of cases. This is likely to get worse when the Thanksgiving numbers come in.

This is no joke, and we'll all have to have each other's backs, just like we did when we marched. The good of the community demands it, despite the economic and social hardships, and these are severe for many.

The more conscientious we are, the quicker things will begin to turn around.

Stay positive and stay safe.

Yes that did happen and my comparing Contra Costa Co to Santa Clara county....well it's not the same. Largest city in CoCo is Concord which is around 130,000. Largest city in Santa Clara Co. is San Jose which is around 1.1 million. I think most knew that a second wave of covid in the winter would be more that the first.