Troopers: A report on alleged sexual assault & problematic behavior by MAASIN

27 minutes ago, skevinp said:

They aren’t games, Jim.  This is a serious and complex issue and I’m encouraging people to take it seriously rather than oversimplifying it.  

And I don’t think we should blame the victims for not wanting go through any “official” process that requires them to subject themselves to things they don’t want to endure.  

The reason there is an “official” process is so the issue to brought to the attention of the correct people so it can be addressed. Where I worked first person was immediate boss, if not him/her then there was a person who handles for the agency. If the victim still didn’t feel comfortable about that then option was 800 number. Of a corps victim isn’t comfortable going to their corps, DCI or an outside agency what would you suggest. 

And believe me I take this very seriously having worked with people who were harassed. My point is if the policy is half butted a lot will fall thru the cracks.

And has been just posted, the person who gets the report does NOT investigate. That is the job of law enforcement. This was a big problem with Penn State when they tried to determine the facts instead of letting law enforcement do it.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, skevinp said:

They aren’t games, Jim.  This is a serious and complex issue and I’m encouraging people to take it seriously rather than oversimplifying it.  

And I don’t think we should blame the victims for not wanting go through any “official” process that requires them to subject themselves to things they don’t want to endure.  

If the victim doesn't want to go through the process, then they can tell that to  law enforcement.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

If the victim doesn't want to go through the process, then they can tell that to  law enforcement.  

I would recommend going directly to the law enforcement authorities considering what I’ve heard about the bad actors who are in charge of “the process”.   

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I would recommend going directly to the law enforcement authorities considering what I’ve heard about the bad actors who are in charge of “the process”.   

It simplifies the process - If it happens (or someone thinks it did) - contact law enforcement.  If it goes nowhere after that, it won't be because the Corps did a coverup,

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I just keep hearing head of a corps saying “yeah we have a policy on that.... somewhere” or “yeah BoD and instructors know what to do if there is a problem”. but when asked if the members know.. “uhhhhh”.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I just keep hearing head of a corps saying “yeah we have a policy on that.... somewhere” or “yeah BoD and instructors know what to do if there is a problem”. but when asked if the members know.. “uhhhhh”.

I started to laugh when I read the DCI policy a couple of years ago.  Toothless.  No strategy for penalties or removal.  Clearly just virtue signaling. 

• Like 3

Just now, Terri Schehr said:

I started to laugh when I read the DCI policy a couple of years ago.  Toothless.  No strategy for penalties or removal.  Clearly just virtue signaling. 

I always look for what the members are told. Every year got this training and every year I was told “if the employees don’t know what to do if they are harassed, then any rules are useless”.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1