Troopers: A report on alleged sexual assault & problematic behavior by MAASIN

3 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Pretty sure all the police have the same phone number.

While 911 will work in a pinch, it's not the correct answer when you look at the very detailed guidelines that each state/jurisdiction have established for mandatory reporters.  The general guidance is that 911 should only be used if someone is in immediate danger.

What really needs to happen is corps need to have the mandatory reporting details readily available for each stop on tour.  It needs to be part of the default information that's included for each housing site, show site and other planned venue that the corps will be stopping at.

• Thanks 1

If you or anyone you know has been sexually assaulted and are in immediate danger, call 911. Otherwise call or visit the police. You can also go to the ER and ask the triage nurse to speak to someone from their sexual assault team. They'll take it from there. Have a forensic exam done ASAP. If you or anyone you know has been sexually assaulted and have questions about reporting the assault or what to do, this is a good resource: https://www.rainn.org/articles/reporting-law-enforcement. Do not assume staff or management will know what to do, that they will contact law enforcement promptly for you, or put the victims interests first. Again, if you or anyone you know has been sexually assaulted, call 911. If staff or management do not want you to call law enforcement or want to determine when they should be called, that's a big red flag. 

Edited by madisonsmiley
  • Thanks 3

If you or someone you know has been sexually assaulted and you need support, call 800-656-HOPE to be connected with a trained staff member from a sexual assault service provider in your area. Don't assume your staff or management have the skills, knowledge, or experience to meet the needs of a sexual assault victim. They will provide:

• Confidential support from a trained staff member
  • Support finding a local health facility that is trained to care for survivors of sexual assault and offers services like sexual assault forensic exams
  • Someone to help you talk through what happened
  • Local resources that can assist with your next steps toward healing and recovery
  • Referrals for long term support in your area
  • Information about the laws in your community
  • Basic information about medical concerns
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, MikeD said:

It makes perfect sense. 

Plus the guy is incredibly qualified. He also has experience in the type of activity being discussed:

"In 1990, John became an Assistant District Attorney in Casper, with extensive experience in the prosecution and litigation of narcotics cases, domestic violence offenses, sexual assault and child exploitation."

it's also a huge potential conflict of interest

6 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Said it before but if PA had dropped the ball with Jerry Sandusky of Penn State then TX was going after him. Issue was minor with him in hotel room at Alamo Bowl. That always reminds me of who has jurisdiction in incidents 

they should have done it regardless of what happened in PA

The more and more I silently read this thread, this story, other stories of abuse, harrassment, and straight up mistreatment in drum corps, the more my mind goes to just "blowing it up." 

This isn't an isolated incident. This is a pattern, and it appears systemic to the marching arts. 

I don't have solutions, I wish I did, but I am having a difficutl time seeing a way out of this behavior pattern. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

The more and more I silently read this thread, this story, other stories of abuse, harrassment, and straight up mistreatment in drum corps, the more my mind goes to just "blowing it up." 

This isn't an isolated incident. This is a pattern, and it appears systemic to the marching arts. 

I don't have solutions, I wish I did, but I am having a difficutl time seeing a way out of this behavior pattern. 

Indeed! How many incidents have either not been reported, were swept under the rug or the perp moved on to a different corps only to repeat their pattern of abuse?

Edited by Brian Tuma
  • Thanks 1

Worked 1980-2020 and saw things go 180 on harassment and sexual harassment. Started with guys who had been there since the 60s or so and wouldn’t  last a week with the crap coming out of their mouths. Then after Operation Tailhook (Navy scandal) started the sexual harassment training and years of “is it a how to course” stupid jokes. Now finally at almost everyone either taking it seriously or at least smart enough to shut up if they don’t. 

Question is... how far behind is DCIs and the corps mentality in this? When you have a FEMALE corps head not doing things to correct issues I wonder. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

8 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

Indeed! How many incidents have either not been reported, were swept under the rug or the perp moved on to a different corps only to repeat their pattern of abuse?

I imagine several, maybe hundreds of incidents were reported and they were given such inane advice as “try to get over it and move on”.  That was on drumcorps Reddit two years ago.  Someone who had contacted DCI.  I’m with @Cappybara.  Blow it up and start over.  Start over better.  Not this #### anymore. 

• Like 1