No scores, and I kinda like it...

As a spectator, I’m fine with no scores.  If I was a marching member, I probably wouldn’t like it much.  Only speaking for myself personally.  I remember doing shows where the judges didn’t show or something else came up and there were exhibitions.  I didn’t like it too much.

• Like 4

I gave up trying to figure out scores when judging execution went away. At least this non-music major could spot errors. Always enjoyed the smaller lower placing corps anyway as sometimes they had to get creative to deal with less people

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Continental said:

Steamed broccoli dipped in hummus......mmmmm.

:offtopic:Yes I know I am, but you might try it. 

Bleh. You could steam it in Reese's and I still wouldn't swallow it. On a related, but still off topic subject. I'll eat absolutely anything made from tomato sauce, but I won't touch tomatoes themselves, sliced, chopped in tacos or any other way. All other veggies, I'm down with. 

17 minutes ago, Continental said:

Lmao to show my weird taste in humor was watching the original Addams Family. They’re cutting Cousin Itts birthday cake.

Fester: “Umm my favorite, cauliflower meringue 😆

• Haha 1

I definitely miss scores. Regardless of who wins I think it helps the corps to get feedback from the judges. It gives the MMs incentive to clean the show which benefits the corps as a whole and the audience. I think it helps the design staff as well. It's good that they get some push-back at times about the show or various visual/musical elements. Yes, it's fun to be competitive and root for your team, but I think there are real benefits that go beyond the placement. 

• Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I gave up trying to figure out scores when judging execution went away. At least this non-music major could spot errors. Always enjoyed the smaller lower placing corps anyway as sometimes they had to get creative to deal with less people

That's another thing that I like about this year. I'm a decently adequate orchestral/chamber percussionist, but the level of execution that these kids are playing completely blows my mind, to the point that I have a hard time distinguishing the talent levels. I love being able to watch a group like Colts, Music City, or Troop, groups that regularly place mid-semis levels, and just look on in awe. In regular years, I feel like the judging gives me a pre-determined understanding of how good I'm supposed to assume they are, without judges telling me group A is better than group B, I can just watch both groups and love it all.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Continental said:

💨💨

• Haha 1

I'd be fine with no scores.  The idea that the kids need motivation to help them clean the show is pretty far from what I've ever seen of them.  It would definitely take some of the pressure off the season, and at the org level we're already now trying to detach performance score from "world class quality" a bit.  Individual shows could also get a little bit of flexibility as to scheduling their "headline" acts; well, more than they do now.  

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Bleh. You could steam it in Reese's and I still wouldn't swallow it. On a related, but still off topic subject. I'll eat absolutely anything made from tomato sauce, but I won't touch tomatoes themselves, sliced, chopped in tacos or any other way. All other veggies, I'm down with. 

I'm glad I was able to appreciate these vegetables as a child.  I also love Brussels Sprouts. 

• Like 1