East Coast Showcase -- Lawrence, MA -- 8/4

1 minute ago, George Dixon said:

there's a big clue at the very end - the two members stare off into the future in their Garfield jackets NOT focused on the past, JMO but that's a clear design easter egg for 2022 = imagining what's next 

I’m sure a plan is in place.  But I’m not going to lie.  I’ll miss this trip down memory lane and the Easter eggs the corps have given us old people.  

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Sign me up to "I hate the video screens" crowd - and I'm using the word HATE here. Very distracting, enormously prone to error, and high cost of ownership. Nothing but a design crutch IMO - I'd rather them save the $$ and reduce member fees - we already have way too many screens in our lives

I respect this point of view, George. And, several folks here on DCP seem to agree with you.  I wonder however if you would have the same reaction to the screens if you were seeing the show in person.  Last night, I made a point of scanning around the audience several times (because I too have had the distraction concern) and I found to my relief that most folks were watching the corps intently and just glancing over to the screens intermittently. The only time people seemed to focus intently on them was the beginning of the ballad. Anyway, hope everyone continues to enjoy the show!

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’m sure a plan is in place.  But I’m not going to lie.  I’ll miss this trip down memory lane and the Easter eggs the corps have given us old people.  

this show is certainly a love-letter to us volunteers, donors, alumni etc & it is very special after a very tough 5+ years

you headed to Indy?

2 minutes ago, craiga said:

I respect this point of view, George. And, several folks here on DCP seem to agree with you.  I wonder however if you would have the same reaction to the screens if you were seeing the show in person.  Last night, I made a point of scanning around the audience several times (because I too have had the distraction concern) and I found to my relief that most folks were watching the corps intently and just glancing over to the screens intermittently. The only time people seemed to focus intently on them was the beginning of the ballad. Anyway, hope everyone continues to enjoy the show!

I willl get to see them Saturday = very much looking forward to it

• Like 4

1 minute ago, craiga said:

You’re probably right.  They translate poorly on tv.  Unfortunately, I won’t be seeing any in person drum corps this year.  Second year in a row.  Maybe next year. 🤷‍♀️

• Sad 1

As for the corps last night, my competitive-non competitive rankings for favorites and captions would be:

Favorites 1. Cadets, 2. Boston, 3. Bluecoats, 4. Spirit, 5. Music City (all were fabulous and I enjoy every show)

If it were judged (very hypothetical and not realistic for this year): 1. Bluecoats, 2. Boston, 3. Cadets, 4. Spirit, 5. Music City

Captions (for fun, just the top 3 slots)

Brass: 1. Boston, 2. Bluecoats, 3. Cadets

Percussion: 1. Cadets, 2. Bluecoats, 3. Boston

Guard: 1. Bluecoats, 2. Boston, 3. Cadets (while I agree the talent in Boston's guard is amazing, I think Bloo is out performing them right now)

Visual Proficiency: 1. Bluecoats, 2. Cadets, 3. Boston

Visual Analysis: 1. Cadets, 2. Bluecoats, 3. Boston

Music GE: 1. Cadets, 2. Boston, 3. Bluecoats

Visual GE: 1. Bluecoats, 2. Cadets, 3. Boston 

• Like 2

Hey George, question on Cadets - towards the end of Appalachian Spring there's a horn player who kind of does a statue like pose very similar to what SCV did in Ballet for Martha and maybe even in years prior to that. Any meaning behind that? (again, if it's something obvious that I'm missing ala the right foot step off thing, my apologies )

1 minute ago, jwillis35 said:

As for the corps last night, my competitive-non competitive rankings for favorites and captions would be:

Favorites 1. Cadets, 2. Boston, 3. Bluecoats, 4. Spirit, 5. Music City (all were fabulous and I enjoy every show)

If it were judged (very hypothetical and not realistic for this year): 1. Bluecoats, 2. Boston, 3. Cadets, 4. Spirit, 5. Music City

Captions (for fun, just the top 3 slots)

Brass: 1. Boston, 2. Bluecoats, 3. Cadets

Percussion: 1. Cadets, 2. Bluecoats, 3. Boston

Guard: 1. Bluecoats, 2. Boston, 3. Cadets (while I agree the talent in Boston's guard is amazing, I think Bloo is out performing them right now)

Visual Proficiency: 1. Bluecoats, 2. Cadets, 3. Boston

Visual Analysis: 1. Cadets, 2. Bluecoats, 3. Boston

Music GE: 1. Cadets, 2. Boston, 3. Bluecoats

Visual GE: 1. Bluecoats, 2. Cadets, 3. Boston 

I think I agree with this top to bottom!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, waliman4444 said:

If I'm in the minority on this observation I'll be okay: The screens during BAC's performance were cute but I found my visual loyalties diverted too often while BAC was playing their ##### off...maybe too much of a good thing?..just a thought..peace

On Tuesday night, I was not that impressed with the screens and it had nothing to do with the malfunction of one of the screens. I was sitting on the 40 yard line to the right of the screens and I did not know what to watch. I found the videos/photos/special effects projected to be well done, but it was a bit much. Last night I sat on the 50 yard line and there was less head turning. I also knew what to expect. I’ll wait to make a final assessment in Indy where it could work very well, but right now I find it an interesting novelty in a non-competitive year and a real attempt to do something amazing for the crowd, but the screens could be a major distraction if this were a competitive season.

• Like 1