Sat. Aug 7. A-TOWN

Ok , so I admit my preference is for marching from form to form over that of running in single file to a formation or scatter drill and just run to the next visual form. I “ get “ that some no doubt  like the recent drill of running and or scattering to the next formation , and I can respect that , But since I prefer marching to next formation visual , the Cadets were a huge hit with me . I really like what they did this season and their show , attire , headgear , music , drill is wonderful in every way . Thumbs up Cadets !!

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 2

Cadets drum major was great, so into it and animated. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think I finally put my finger on why the Cadets show feels so cohesive: they save the drum break for the back half of the show. I’d say around 90% of shows these days follow the same format of slow (electronic) build up, big brass hit, just the percussion plays for one or two minutes, and then the brass comes back in. Most shows now you never feel really get going until it’s too late. Cadets this year revive the tried and true formula of integrating a single drum break, however long, into the second or third piece, in this case Moondance. It works so well and I hope it becomes the standard again.

Edited by Hrothgar15
  • Like 4

I think I’ll ask a fan in attendance at shows next season to use their cell phone to tape the Corps shows next season and pay them to send to me than use Flo Marching . The dudes there at Flo must have gone to the Univ . of Useless as their audio and visual work at these DCI shows has become a veritable useless schittshow , imo.  The mic positioning is incompetent and thus the sound sucks . Flo needs  hire a sound engineer that knows what they’re doing , or they should stick to covering college wrestling and the like . I won’t renew for next season unless they improve or else DCI replaces them. 

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Haha 2

Just got home - quick comments on Boston's show - I found the screens and the guard both mesmerizing and watched them almost the whole show. I barely paid attention to the musicians, and I'm a brass guy. Their playing was awesome, but the guard and the screens were much more interesting to watch than the "compulsory" body movement and dance stuff the have the brass and drums do nowadays.

I liked the screens and can see some good uses for them but I didn't like the placement all to the left side. It would be great if they were spread across the field and "integrated" with the rest of the corps.. if you were watching the screens you were missing most of the corps (aside from the members they showed on the screens). I did notice when they were doing the precheck on them they were labeled audience left, left center, right and right center.. actually placing them in those positions would have been cool I think.

Oh, and this dino liked the rap! (still hate almost all recorded vocals and synth though, but its progress 🙂 ).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just got back from the show. I was thoroughly pleased with every corps.  I bought my ticket late and ended up in the 4th row, but it was fine.  

The crowd cheered readily for every corps and it was not forced or obligatory.

I liked the diversity of styles on the field.  I don’t miss judging.  My own tastes and judgment always was more important to me anyway. 

Since I was close enough to see faces, I sense a level of relaxation even though the performances were precise and well executed.  (Best example: Cadets’ Moondance)

I am happy the marching members got to hear live appreciation for their performances

Flomarching is not the same as being there live.   Glad I went. 

• Like 2