Phantom Regiment 2022

19 minutes ago, billj said:

Two down, two to go! I'll take the horizontal front-most props during the walk as improved highlighting of the conductor's walk and costume change, although it seemed necessary because of the addition of the chevron.

I don't know if corps typically make significant drill changes (like adding the wedge at the end) this close to the end of the season, but if they did, it would bring the house down even more.

I was on the edge of my seat, waiting to see the chevron and the wedge last night. When they hit the chevron, I was "Oh yeah, it's coming", then no wedge happened! Still one heck of an ending and the build and drill is amazing as is. I agree though, if they would have ended in the wedge, the stands would have rumbled even more from applause and babies would have rained down upon them!

On 8/4/2022 at 4:53 PM, college-phan said:

Regarding the snare feature, I feel like that was something added a bit more spuriously to aid some ailing percussion scores

I want to be clear on something and I preface this by saying you all know much I luuuurrrvvvveeee PR. So much in fact that people ask me if I marched PR. I did NOT. I got cut from PR in 1989 very early. 

All of this being said:

Unfortunately, it's going to have to be clean in order to bring up the scores. There was a pretty solid lot video from ATL that came out this week. I would challenge any of my percussion brothers and sisters to take a listen and see if you hear the same things that I do. It's just not clean. The hands look "heavy" almost like they are pushing too hard (especially taps and going into rolls.) I don't know if it's just interpretation from player to player or what. I also notice that those really grey rolls clean up the lower the volume gets (makes sense as less tension and "intention" in the hands because of lower volume would balance the sound from player to player.)

Let's say this. It's a good battery (especially the bass line.) But it's 2nd tier top 12. If it was clean, I would put it top 6 (maybe 5th) as the book is pretty good. I do NOT think that with as little time is left in the season, we are going to see significant changes. The snare feature is an interesting little beastie. But said beastie is super exposed. I watched a video of maybe 3 runs of the same block and picked up some hair on each run but at different spots in general. Think of it like dirty anything.....if it's dirty, DON'T EXPOSE IT.

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever
  • Like 1

Thanks for a scintillating performance in Allentown last night, Regiment.  Live it was amazing.  No one got the crowd reaction you did.  Goosebump city.  Clean, clean, clean!

I can’t quibble with the visual scores, but musically, there’s not enough credit being given yet.  That horn line was fire last night , and at least to me that show oozes music GE. 

I love this show & can’t wait to enjoy it 3 times live in Indy!!!  ❤️🔥

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I want to be clear on something and I preface this by saying you all know much I luuuurrrvvvveeee PR. So much in fact that people ask me if I marched PR. I did NOT. I got cut from PR in 1989 very early. 

All of this being said:

Unfortunately, it's going to have to be clean in order to bring up the scores. There was a pretty solid lot video from ATL that came out this week. I would challenge any of my percussion brothers and sisters to take a listen and see if you hear the same things that I do. It's just not clean. The hands look "heavy" almost like they are pushing too hard (especially taps and going into rolls.) I don't know if it's just interpretation from player to player or what. I also notice that those really grey rolls clean up the lower the volume gets (makes sense as less tension and "intention" in the hands because of lower volume would balance the sound from player to player.)

Let's say this. It's a good battery (especially the bass line.) But it's 2nd tier top 12. If it was clean, I would put it top 6 (maybe 5th) as the book is pretty good. I do NOT think that with as little time is left in the season, we are going to see significant changes. The snare feature is an interesting little beastie. But said beastie is super exposed. I watched a video of maybe 3 runs of the same block and picked up some hair on each run but at different spots in general. Think of it like dirty anything.....if it's dirty, DON'T EXPOSE IT.

Spot on assessment. Great book and very well played. They're just not in the same echelon as any of the top four lines. 

If, as I think you've mentioned previously, these guys are largely kept intact in '23, placement improvement could come, but I just don't think PR has the percussion recruiting pedigree that SCV, BC, BD and Bloo do. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Spot on assessment. Great book and very well played. They're just not in the same echelon as any of the top four lines. 

If, as I think you've mentioned previously, these guys are largely kept intact in '23, placement improvement could come, but I just don't think PR has the percussion recruiting pedigree that SCV, BC, BD and Bloo do. 

The talent seems to be all over the place from year to year. Out of all those lines mentioned, SCV seems to have the most consistency. I know some would argue that BD is more consistent, but this year shows the holes in that statement. They lost most of their 4 and 5 year vets and it will take a year or two to rebuild. I didn't watch RCC this year to see how they performed but I would wonder if they had the same struggles. 

5 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

Do the Broken City percussion guys (last with BK in 2019) want to return to DCI? 

I don't really know to be honest as I don't have an inside track with any of that. I will say this, a Rennick book would be a good place to start. Consistent books bring in consistent players and EVERYONE wants to play a Rennick book. His approach to percussion drives excellence and his approach to teaching has always seemed to be rooted more in learning to be a better player than in winning championships. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

My understanding of why the lines aren't all that clean is due to technique.

edited as it’s not my story to tell. 

Edited by SJugster

13 minutes ago, SJugster said:

But they wont.

Some will stay but most will not. The staff is heavy handed and it is running off those that I know. In the tenor line (which nobody is talking about) there is an age out and 2 players who are for sure leaving due to leadership.

Well, there's two sides to everything. I wouldn't have any idea if there is any internal strife going on currently of the Regiment. If that's so, that's a shame. Those students deserve much better and I'd hope Dr. Snead would address it. His is a name I trust to do the right thing. 

16 hours ago, SJugster said:

edited as it’s not my story to tell. 

I would guess that's probably a fair assessment. Not that I should or would really judge modern technique (though it hasn't changed THAT much from the late 80's,) but if you watch the SIMPLE things, you can see some opportunities. Perfect example would be some of the eyeball level rolls, taps, etc. If you watch, many of the players are putting a LOT of shoulder into the technique while some are not. Now that doesn't mean that you CAN'T use a lot of shoulder. But if 6 cats are doing it and 3 cats aren't, that roll is going to be GREY and FUZZY. 

If you watch the snares and tenors and really look at the taps, they're putting a LOT of intention into them. One thing that I will always remember being told is that there is "a fine line between intention and tension." The tension we are seeing translates to the tension that we're hearing.