Phantom Regiment 2022

16 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

While everyone is looking at Phantom coming out on top of the Mandarins by a hair.  I'm looking at the spread to the Cavies and going. 👀

I mean looking at the head to head between Mandarins, PR and Cavies, the scoring curve for Mandarins and Cavies is running flat by comparison. The question now becomes, how much untapped scoring potential is there left in each of these shows?

Percussion scores bumped up a bit but I don't think we'll see better than 7th/8th in percussion this year. 

• Like 2

What can Phantom do at this point to improve their Music Analysis scores? In terms of music, it’s the biggest thing holding them back at this point. I’m not exactly knowledgeable on these more abstract captions, so there’s no harm in explaining it to me like a fifth grader lol

So excited to see Regiment in Allentown. Their momentum is palpable.  Great to see the credit starting to come in Brass and (at least with some judges) Music GE (GE2).  While they can still be as low as 10th, I think they have a better than 50/50 shot at 9th, a 40-50% shot at 8th, and a 20% (long shot) shot at 7th.  Clean, Clean, Clean, Regiment!  

What a great start to their climb back to the upper echelon.  I'd be thrilled with a single digit finish of any kind.  This staff knows what they are doing.  You don't go from "Phantasm" & "I am Joan" levels of shows, talent and design back to top 5 overnight.  I'm circling 2024 on my calendar for that.

Regardless, I love this show more every time I see or watch it.  So powerful, energetic, aggressive, emotional and MOVING.  Thanks for all the passion, Regiment.  

Harvey

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, TexasPRfan said:

So excited to see Regiment in Allentown. Their momentum is palpable.  Great to see the credit starting to come in Brass and (at least with some judges) Music GE (GE2).  While they can still be as low as 10th, I think they have a better than 50/50 shot at 9th, a 40-50% shot at 8th, and a 20% (long shot) shot at 7th.  Clean, Clean, Clean, Regiment!  

What a great start to their climb back to the upper echelon.  I'd be thrilled with a single digit finish of any kind.  This staff knows what they are doing.  You don't go from "Phantasm" & "I am Joan" levels of shows, talent and design back to top 5 overnight.  I'm circling 2024 on my calendar for that.

Regardless, I love this show more every time I see or watch it.  So powerful, energetic, aggressive, emotional and MOVING.  Thanks for all the passion, Regiment.  

Harvey

Agreed. I'm all for FFFF, but hearing the dynamic variety and shaping added the last week or two, hopefully this helps on the GE side. The visual changes have been good, as well, and looking forward to some addition visual changes towards the end of the closer that will really bring the house down in Indy.

• Like 1

I think it will.  The dynamic shaping was showing up via the stream last night and I noticed it right away.  It starts bringing out the emotion of the music more and more.  That's a classic Phantom thing and JD Shaw's writing will sparkle in these kid's hands.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, kdaddy said:

I don't recall seeing Regiment performing Serenade for Strings as a warm up. Is this new? 

The earliest lot footage I could find of them playing Serenade goes back to 2005, so on/off since then! Fire of Eternal Glory is also included in this one, enjoy:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Continental said:

Serenade for Strings was an amazing wall of sound when Phantom used it as their opener in '83.  

I was 13 when i was at my first drum corps show. Phantom was there and yeah this was one of my ‘imprint’ moments in the activity.  Heh.