Carolina Crown 2022

karuna

50 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

I hadn’t thought of it as “campy” but I like that word for it!!

There is room for all types of styles in drum corps! We’ve got the artistic, esoteric, storytelling/literal, campy, etc. Campy has worked well for Cadets, Crown, Academy, etc 

Not my thing, but I appreciate the diversity of styles in DCI 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, BWise said:

Is Mike Stone on GE for finals ? Like final night finals. 

Usually he does except in 18 he did Prelims.

3 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

There is room for all types of styles in drum corps! We’ve got the artistic, esoteric, storytelling/literal, campy, etc. Campy has worked well for Cadets, Crown, Academy, etc 

Not my thing, but I appreciate the diversity of styles in DCI 

I don’t know that there is a style I prefer .. but I think most on here know usually by the end of June what is working and what is not is apparent. And if there is not a “that” show Blue Devils win. Babylon was that show .. Downside Up was that show .. Spartacus was that show. And lastly Inferno was that show but lost. I thought when I saw Crown this year it was “that” show .. but what’s vexing me is they have only been out 3 times with it. So .. I’m not sure yet .. might be a default BD year. 
Ppl get mad but BAC .. Bloo .. and SCV don’t have “that” show .. even tho they are great and very entertaining and work hard and are talented  .. IMO .. again just my opinion .. they aren’t the break out show. Will Crown be that show?  I hope but .. not sure. 

a big rambling mess but there. 

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Flguardman said:

Usually he does except in 18 he did Prelims.

Not real happy with that. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BWise said:

Not real happy with that. 

Oh trust me I’m not a fan of his specially when it comes to Winterguard season! 

1 hour ago, BWise said:

I don’t know that there is a style I prefer .. but I think most on here know usually by the end of June what is working and what is not is apparent. And if there is not a “that” show Blue Devils win. Babylon was that show .. Downside Up was that show .. Spartacus was that show. And lastly Inferno was that show but lost. I thought when I saw Crown this year it was “that” show .. but what’s vexing me is they have only been out 3 times with it. So .. I’m not sure yet .. might be a default BD year. 
Ppl get mad but BAC .. Bloo .. and SCV don’t have “that” show .. even tho they are great and very entertaining and work hard and are talented  .. IMO .. again just my opinion .. they aren’t the break out show. Will Crown be that show?  I hope but .. not sure. 

a big rambling mess but there. 

When BD has a good year, they go undefeated. When they aren’t as good, it leaves an opening…. but someone has to be good enough to beat them. ‘19, ‘18, ‘16, ‘15, ‘13, ‘11 were all beatable shows, in my opinion. 4 of those 6, Cadets, Crown, Bluecoats, and SCV were strong enough to pass them. In ‘15 and ‘19, Crown and Bluecoats were capable, but couldn’t put the nail in the coffin.

That being said, I think BD is having a good year.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, MidWAmericanArts said:

When BD has a good year, they go undefeated. When they aren’t as good, it leaves an opening…. but someone has to be good enough to beat them. ‘19, ‘18, ‘16, ‘15, ‘13, ‘11 were all beatable shows, in my opinion. 4 of those 6, Cadets, Crown, Bluecoats, and SCV were strong enough to pass them. In ‘15 and ‘19, Crown and Bluecoats were capable, but couldn’t put the nail in the coffin.

That being said, I think BD is having a good year.

You have to be convincingly better than BD to beat them.  They always find away to squeak out a margin when it's close.  Additionally it can help to travel west and beat them a few times early in the season.  

As for "good year" it could be we expected SCV to be way more competitive than they have been so far. 

Finally I really believe this Crown show has the horses to beat BD.  Strong sections across the board and no weaknesses plus a show design that just makes you smile.  Even if you're not a Crown fan,  this show is just rip-roaring drumcorps fun!   

Edited by karuna
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, MadisonBandMan1 said:

I remember back in HS marching our show in the middle of a Tropical Storm with our ponchos on and without electronics naturally. Easily my most memorable night in band, we had an ELECTRIC show. The football game itself was incredible too, adding even more fun into the night. 

I performed in pouring rain several times during my 6 years in marching band, with electronics. We simply placed a pop-up canopy over the soundboard/laptop system and powered through. Nobody ever got electrocuted. Lol. We always performed best under subpar conditions, and I think it's because our football field was absolute crap.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

I hadn’t thought of it as “campy” but I like that word for it!!

It's just campy fun! Cheesy, campy, whatever word you want to use. Definitely a show I will be able to listen to for seasons after without having to see the visual, which is definitely something that can't be said often these days.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

I performed in pouring rain several times during my 6 years in marching band, with electronics. We simply placed a pop-up canopy over the soundboard/laptop system and powered through. Nobody ever got electrocuted. Lol. We always performed best under subpar conditions, and I think it's because our football field was absolute crap.

We had just gotten a brand new sound system that year with shotgun mics lined up 35/35 and multiple soloists across the field so electronics were not an option haha. Not enough canopies for that 😆. And same here in regards to the subpar conditions, it almost was a driver for us. Our most electric performances for lack of a better word were always in poor weather. It always got everyone's adrenaline pumping. 

• Like 1