Carolina Crown 2022

karuna

56 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

I'm fine with Crown finishing 3rd or 4th. I would kill for the corps I marched with to finish 3rd or 4th. A lot of corps would. There is nothing wrong with that. If you're 3rd or 4th you are still absolutely incredible. 

More people need to understand this. Just like in 2019 where a VERY good corps had to come 6th, this year a VERY good corps will have to settle for 5th...

• Like 2

On 8/2/2022 at 9:27 PM, DasTuba33 said:

Great score from Crown tonight! 

Ring now I wish I was a percussion guy instead of brass so that maybe I could understand why their percussion scores are so far behind. 

In any case, looks like Crown had a good run tonight. 

I wish I understood the percussion scores more too.  I have no issue with placement as the corps above them are all excellent but the point spreads (not just Crown but throughout the top 5) seem to be too large.  Not just my perception but based on what I’ve heard from non “Crown fan” percussion people I know also.  They do have some dirt to work out so hopefully they can clean that up a little more relative to their peers.  They don’t necessarily need to place higher but they need the point spread to tighten up.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, wilme861 said:

More people need to understand this. Just like in 2019 where a VERY good corps had to come 6th, this year a VERY good corps will have to settle for 5th...

I get we all want our favorite corps to win, but unless you're a BD fan that's not very likely to happen. 

The only Crown show I haven't loved since maybe 2005 was Beast. Yes, I don't think their design team understands what they need to design in order to have a shot to win, but their design team sure knows how to produce entertaining programs. There is no other corps I can say I haven't liked only one show since 2005.

1 hour ago, henry7184 said:

Yes, I don't think their design team understands what they need to design in order to have a shot to win, but their design team sure knows how to produce entertaining programs.

I can’t speak to whether they “understand what they need to design” but I can say  that while they’d like to win, designing entertaining shows that the audience loves and members enjoy to perform has been their proclaimed primary goal for a long as I know.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, DrummerParent said:

I can’t speak to whether they “understand what they need to design” but I can say  that while they’d like to win, designing entertaining shows that the audience loves and members enjoy to perform has been their proclaimed primary goal for a long as I know.

As an alum this this and all this. We are getting down to the last week of shows for the season, people need to just let it go and enjoy the entertainment. These kids, directors, designers, instructors volunteers have been able to bring you Drum Corps this season. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Although I have my biases, I am going to be pretty honest that Crown still has a chance and they have the possibility to make waves next week.  They also have a potential to spoil someone's party in Indy and I feel it could affect BD more than BAC.  If they are ahead of BD in brass, guard and possibly MA, then that bodes very well for the Crusaders.  If they start coming out ahead in GE captions, that may affect BAC more.  I will acknowledge that Crown is a player next week.  Here's to a great championship week for all!  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DrummerParent said:

And that's a great goal. Personally, I wish shows like theirs would win. When the season is over I will listen to the recordings of the following corps:

- Crown

- Vanguard

- Regiment

- Bluecoats

I will watch videos of the following corps:

- Crown

- Bluecoats

I think that says a lot about what I like and what I don't like.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WarriorWay said:

It will be a great championship week, yes. I do think if Crown falls 4th or 5th, they will ditch this design team 

They won’t.  I mean come on. How many years was Leon May at Crown and it was about the same. He’s at Boston and really doing the same shows as he did at Crown .. they’ve just evened up their captions which Crown still struggles to get the evenness. Really .. that Boston show is totally out of the Crown closet of maybe shows ..  and they struggle with VA like Crown did under May.  At least that seems to be mostly fixed. 
Crown is right in there on GE and Visual.

we’ll see but Crown could easily be 1-4 ..  and most likely on the upper end of that range.  
Said another way .. if Crown wanted to emulate BD or Bloo .. which I keep hearing are the best designed shows. They would. It’s not who they are or who they want to be. 

Edited by BWise
  • Like 1