Carolina Crown 2022

karuna

15 minutes ago, wigwam said:

BD will probably win again, but what’s so incredibly perfect about their show design.  It makes absolutely on sense to me, whereas Crown’s show is simple, direct, easy to understand and connects with the audience.   

Perhaps I’m a simpleton.   

You're not. It's hard to understand what the judges are looking for. This is why I don't let placements upset me any more. We have no control over what the judges do.

My problem with Crown's show, as I said before, is I think the 1st and 5th movements are perfect, but everything else in between is just too messy. It's overkill. The constant "right here! right now!" is overkill too. It's like they said, "we have to do everything to win" but sometimes less is more. For me, Crown's show is anything but simple.

With Bluecoats and Vanguard, to me their designs are perfect and not in your face as much. Vanguard is subtle, majestic and beautiful. Bluecoats are bizarre and interesting. Crown is sheer entertainment. Still, I think it's overall the most entertaining show of the season from a broad fan base. For sure, without rival. For me, personally, Vanguard now has the most entertaining show. I just think it is so interesting and breathtaking - a complete design. I also love Bluecoats show.

Despite the issues I have with Crown's design, I'll still be watching this one (and the other two) for years to come. Everyone else will fall by the wayside over time. Most already have. Aside from the three above, I like Regiment and Cadets next best. 

I'll watch everyone Thursday, then it's possibly by Saturday I'll only be watching Crown, Vanguard and Bluecoats and skipping everyone else. Unless, it's a nail-biter for the championship, or there's a big surprise, in which case I might watch the whole thing, but I doubt it. I'll just be bored of most of them by the time Saturday comes around.

Edited by henry7184

5 minutes ago, wigwam said:

BD will probably win again, but what’s so incredibly perfect about their show design.  It makes absolutely on sense to me, whereas Crown’s show is simple, direct, easy to understand and connects with the audience.   

Perhaps I’m a simpleton.   

Oh boy .. you opened the can of worms. Bed time for me .. I’ve got a flight to Indy tmrw. Lol. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, wigwam said:

Perhaps I’m a simpleton.

Impossible.

You’re a CrownFAN🎺🥁🎼

• Like 1

Henry sucks all the air out this forum. Jesus, just let the honks, honk. It’s honestly annoying reading explanations about everyone is wrong except him. I guess I should just look the other way cuz it’s annoying. 

go Crown!

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, charlie1223 said:

Henry sucks all the air out this forum. Jesus, just let the honks, honk. It’s honestly annoying reading explanations about everyone is wrong except him. I guess I should just look the other way cuz it’s annoying. 

go Crown!

Henry’s posts are fine but you have to read all of them to appreciate the point of view.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, henry7184 said:

I think someone thinking there's a path for Crown to win is a bit more than just out there. I too think they are closer to 4th than 1st.

I guess it depends on what you consider “out there.”  I think there is a chance albeit small (5%?).  A couple of weeks ago I would have agreed Crown is in more of a fight with Bluecoats for third than with BAC for second.  But recent momentum has me thinking 3rd or 2nd is most likely for Crown.  Their next most likely is fourth but I don’t think first is completely delusional, just really unlikely.  Their show seems to be driven by the performers energy.  When they get the crowd engaged at the beginning, that energy carries through in not just GE but in their performance.  If they bring the energy, they’re second or third, with a small chance at first.  If they’re flat, they’ll be fighting for third /fourth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just hanging out in the shower this morning listening to the Crown show and it really hit me again on how much it takes to put these productions on.  Crown is not doing a wash rinse repeat. If you like it or not … it’s certainly something different and I give them high credit for this and the challenge for their members. 

Im excited that everyone is out performing in unprecedented heat.. putting health at risk with CV19 and still (I think) 35 shows on the field tomorrow?  It’s been a long time since I put on white shoes and gloves .. but man what a set of great shows. I don’t know how they do it. ❤️

oh. .. and GO CROWN 👑 !

Edited by BWise
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, charlie1223 said:

go Crown!

Well, that's how a discussion works. One person gives their opinion and another responds by giving their opinion. So I am supposed to halt voicing my opinion because it upsets you and others? That's not going to happen. I'm not any less of a Crown fan than you are or any one else because I can see, and am vocal about, what I see as the problems with their show, and because I think they have no chance of winning.

Like I said, they win, and I'll happily come on here and eat crow. I've already eaten it twice this year (with Boston and Blue Stars). Everyone is wrong, no one is immune to being wrong.

Edited by henry7184
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, wigwam said:

Perhaps I’m a simpleton.   

Their show design isn’t perfect. It just displays a huge variety of different musical styles and visual moments and it’s all executed very well. I’d argue they are the only corps on the field right now where you simply don’t notice when they move their props around, it’s just masterful staging. Additionally, they do one thing, stop, and move on to something entirely different. Being able to pivot from one style to another is a challenge within itself. Articulations, key changes, syncopation, melodic moments. Just take a look at the insane jumps in register that the sops have to do in Tank while marching. Their guard is rivaling Crown and Boston in rifle work and they actually have a fair amount of unison flag work as well. As usual, they also have plenty of choreography that is being performed at a completely different level than the other guards and the technique from person to person is just so consistent. There isn’t anything innovative or unique, but it is all cohesive despite the musical and visual diversity. It is certainly much more abstract than Crown, but the theme is there and the BD staff are very good at selling the concept to the judges

also, while BD is not getting the same reaction in their closer that Crown is, their music IS very accessible (Moon River and Tank? I mean come on) and they are getting a very good response from the Crowd. I would say they were behind only Crown and Boston in crowd response in Atlanta 

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DrummerParent said:

I guess it depends on what you consider “out there.”  I think there is a chance albeit small (5%?).  A couple of weeks ago I would have agreed Crown is in more of a fight with Bluecoats for third than with BAC for second.  But recent momentum has me thinking 3rd or 2nd is most likely for Crown.  Their next most likely is fourth but I don’t think first is completely delusional, just really unlikely.  Their show seems to be driven by the performers energy.  When they get the crowd engaged at the beginning, that energy carries through in not just GE but in their performance.  If they bring the energy, they’re second or third, with a small chance at first.  If they’re flat, they’ll be fighting for third /fourth.

That's fair. Lord knows there have been upsets before. We know they are going to be the crowd favorite in Indy. I just hope a lot of the fans finals night use the app and we see a video of it from the field.