Carolina Crown 2022

karuna

14 minutes ago, DWW11 said:

Last try… sometimes people just want to poke the bear  

best of luck this weekend  i hope every corps, INCLUDING Crown, have their best performances of the season  

Understood now. Purely for reaction. 
Thanks that is very clearly stated now. 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, BWise said:

Understood now. Purely for reaction. 
Thanks that is very clearly stated now. 

There you go with the black and white again… i said SOMETIMES.  Which means NOT most of the time.  People need to HEAR or READ what is actually said, and NOT what they want to hear or read. Your confirmation bias is showing!

i have tried to explain this two times previously, which you either didn’t believe or didn’t respond to.  THIS explanation confirms your own belief, so, obviously this is the one you latch on to.  

if i was just poking the bear, i wouldn’t keep doing so. Eventually it will wake up and bite. And it gets boring.  

i enjoy discussions, and i like to learn.  Sadly, the only thing i have learned on this thread is that mostly no one else really wants to have a give and take.  They mostly just want to point fingers at everyone else when things don’t pan-out for them.  

Edited by DWW11
  • Like 1

So anyways... is anyone anticipating a change to the closer at all? I would like to hear a little less "right here, right now" from the brass and more sustained chords 

18 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

So anyways... is anyone anticipating a change to the closer at all? I would like to hear a little less "right here, right now" from the brass and more sustained chords 

Maybe a tweak but I’d think visual more so than auditory. But just a guess. Or maybe both. They like to fiddle with it. 

Edited by BWise
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

I don’t see many changes, if any at all, happening. I don’t like the added right here, right now at the end because the two they did seemed like it just fit better? but I see it lines up with the brass members interacting with the orange fabric. I guess we will see what happens 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TigerBaritone19 said:

I don’t see many changes, if any at all, happening. I don’t like the added right here, right now at the end because the two they did seemed like it just fit better? but I see it lines up with the brass members interacting with the orange fabric. I guess we will see what happens 

Yeah that added right here right now makes the final statement a little too long winded. I liked it at 2 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

I've been here and there on Crown's show through the year.  But I'm honestly excited to see what it looks like INDOORS and after the cleaning of the season where we can see what that fabric work is designed to look like without wind interference and such.   

This was a show designed for LoS in many ways that took risks to put on outdoors, then the quirks of Atlanta meant no indoor performances all the way from San Antonio, when there's still dirt and adjustments to make, to LoS.   So I really don't think we've seen what this show can really do yet.   

Given the scoring they got in Allentown, having this show FINALLY in the setting it was designed for, could make it really really really pop.  

I’ve had this in the back of my mind all season, and appreciate you putting finger to key about this strategy.

It’s certainly within the realm of possibility that this is what the designers envisioned from the get-go: take your chances with weather issues all season, but double down your bet for three performances in LOS.

D### gutsy move, and I like it.

Go Crown🥁🎺👑!!!

Edited by nsxanax

4 hours ago, DWW11 said:

i enjoy discussions, and i like to learn.  Sadly, the only thing i have learned on this thread is that mostly no one else really wants to have a give and take.  They mostly just want to point fingers at everyone else when things don’t pan-out for them.  

Well put! In the past, I had a lot of arguments with friends regarding (for example) Crown in 2009, 2012 and 2015 and many other corps and placements over the years. I got into a shouting match with a friend about BD once because I was so outraged they won. It was so bad I thought it was going to end our friendship. I thought I was going to end our friendship. I ended up apologizing. He did too. When you finally stop thinking everyone is against you or trying to get a reaction out of you, you learn and you grow. Now, I can look back and see why BD has deservedly won every time they have won, and why the corps I thought should have won or placed higher didn't. It also freed me from being so anxious about scores and placements. I just don't get upset about it anymore.

We are all passionate about this activity. This is our common thread. I just can't be all sunshine and roses, especially about corps I love. I have to face things as what they are, not what I want them to be or my bias is driving me to. I couldn't give a flip about most corps, which is why I'm not on their threads. I'm passionate about corps like Crown, which is why I'm here. 

If you're going to be a fan of any corps, you have to take the good and the bad. With Crown, the bad is still pretty darn good. Many corps would kill to be the fan favorite and in the top 4 year after year. I think they have the talent to win, but their design holds them back - that's where my frustration lies. 

Edited by henry7184
  • Like 2

it was a the fabric strategy with the flyovers all season in 2015 as well.  Those were never fully realized to their potential until Atlanta really.  Then again in LoS.  I remember shows where they couldn't use the red scrim over people either because the wind meant getting tangled in it.   

I'd seen enough with that show in Ft. Wayne that year to see where it was going and the parts that would come together.  Even totally called it with some friends that there'd probably be a third flyover, likely one with stars to capture the "beautiful things that heaven bears" at the ending as they emerge from the cave.  

They didn't do a stars one but there was a third flyover!  

I was somewhat amused at all the "where did this show come from!" and such as they changed the ending cause...it was briliant from the start in my view, we just hadn't seen all the peices together at once because they were dependent on being indoors where the wind wouldnt' be an issue.  We had only seen them in bits and pieces along the tour.

RHRN could do the same thing.

But...there's not a narrative story tying RHRN together like there was for Inferno.  So..dunno.  We'll see how it all comes together!

Edited by KVG_DC
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In fact, now that i remember. Some Crown staff were sitting next to me as they ran up the bleachers to the top area where I was sitting.  Cause I stood up and roared for the first flyover with that incredible hornline blowing that minor chord in our faces.   Guy said, "well I guess that's working."  I turned to him and said, "heck yes."  

He might have overheard me talking about the probablilty for a third flyover after the end but he might have been gone down to the corps again already, I don't remember.   Hah.   i'm sure that was planned from before day one though.  It was one of the best Crown designs I've seen.  I liked it a TON.

• Like 3