Rebecca Compton-Allen Appointed As New Director Of SCV

SCV in September 2022: We are appointing Rebecca Compton-Allen as the Director of Program Management to oversee strategic planning, administrative operations, and infrastructure improvement. She was the director of SVC in 2022.

SCV in December 2022: The Tour in 22 spent significantly more money than we should have; we exceeded our budgeted amounts in every category. In hindsight, we repeatedly made bad administrative decisions that now threaten the existence of the Vanguard organization.

PLEASE HELP THIS MAKE SENSE. 

Is the executive leadership this out of touch or unaware? Does the BOD provide such poor oversight that this is allowed to happen?

The problems at SCV are really bad - much worse than many think.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

Is the executive leadership this out of touch or unaware? Does the BOD provide such poor oversight that this is allowed to happen?

The problems at SCV are really bad - much worse than many think.

Apparently the answer is E - All of the above. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

SCV in September 2022: We are appointing Rebecca Compton-Allen as the Director of Program Management to oversee strategic planning, administrative operations, and infrastructure improvement. She was the director of SVC in 2022.

SCV in December 2022: The Tour in 22 spent significantly more money than we should have; we exceeded our budgeted amounts in every category. In hindsight, we repeatedly made bad administrative decisions that now threaten the existence of the Vanguard organization.

PLEASE HELP THIS MAKE SENSE. 

Simple, hers was a newly-minted, yet non-essential role that got cut in lean times. That's all we know. The skeleton staff tells you everything else you need to know about the workload they can muster right now. Her role didn't make the cut, like so many others.

Overspending isn't always the fault of the person doing the spending. Hypothetically, I'd rather they be in debt for making sure my fellow alum got enough food than not, especially if there was no other option at a certain point.

It took a village to get us here. Because I'm part of the village (I think?), I'm not eager to blame individuals.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Yeah using a village for this metaphor is a bit lofty anyway, I spose. Just not digging the blame game.

It's complicated.

Actually, I see it as alternating layers of complicated and simple.  
Simple- we need to cut expenses dramatically to survive; Complicated- what do we cut?  

Simple- we need more revenue; Complicated- other than more bingo, how do we increase revenue?

And so on

• Like 2

FWIW she's not listed anymore... again, along with most of the staff. At best, perhaps some staff moved to contract positions to cover certain essential functions. At worst, the skeleton staff listed has increased their workloads. Both circumstances make retaining institutional knowledge very difficult.

What they've offered to provide, the regular updates, is ambitious given this skeleton status. I respect that whether I agree with their choices or not.

Who all's going to the next alumni meeting, then?