2022 Season Predictions

Just now, Boss Anova said:

A lot of this close separation among corps within tiers will ultimately come down to show design ( GE ) captions , imo . 

Yes, design drives the performance numbers almost as much as performance.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, jjeffeory said:

I'm NOT ABBD, but I am critical of how captions are judged, and what is rewarded in show design. I also know that BD will have impeccable marching technique, great guards, and great percussion performance and writing.

I don't always agree on other captions, especially when I see and hear things that aren't reflect in the scores or rankings.

I am also critical of other corps, including my favorite corps. I don't always like the shows from my corps either.

...and not everyone has to root for BD, or any other corps all the time.

Honestly, I root for the shows that I like. I am supportive of my previous corps, but I don't blindly say everything they do is the best....

Like craiga, I wasn't referring to you either. You are also one of the classy one's that I enjoy having conversations with. 

A vast majority of the trolls I am referring too, normally make their appearance in the major regionals/finals threads win/if BD wins. Or they show up early in the season screaming west coast inflation every time BD wins, which would be fine, except that there was no inflation talk in 2018 when SCV/Babylon was running the yard and deservedly so.

Interesting how that works. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Sensioto said:

Some storylines off the top of my head to follow in 2022 for each active World Class corps:

The Academy: Can the Tempe, AZ corps build on a solid few past seasons and reenter the Top 12? After claiming 11th place with “Drum Corpse Bride” in 2016, The Academy has been solidly on the outside of the Top 12 bubble. Can The Academy squeak into Final Night again “By a Hare?”

Blue Devils: Will “Tempus Blue” capture the California corps’ 20th DCI Title? As the current DCI World Champion (2019), and winner of the John Brazale in 2019, can the Blue Devils claim High Visual once again or will another corps slip in? BD has not won Brass since 2014, Color Guard since 2015, GE since 2017 and Percussion since 2015, though they came very close during Finals Week in 2019. Also, will BD extend their thirteen-year long streak of placing no lower than 2nd?

Blue Knights: The Blue Knights popped their highest score (92.05) since 1999 (92.5) with “…I Remember Everything” in 2019. While, yes, scores are relative, BK has been holding steady in 7th-9th place since 2013. Where will the Colorado corps end up with “Vibe?” We shall see by enjoying “The Great Event” which we call drum corps!

Blue Stars: The Blue Stars and Blue Knights have jockeyed positions over the past three competitive seasons, topping each other each consecutive season. BK came out ahead in 2019, so with the Blue Stars surpass BK this season? With no show announcement or repertoire revealed to date, we will have to keep our fingers “Star Crossed” that some information comes out soon!

Bluecoats: Will Bloo medal for the third consecutive year? The defending Don Angelica (GE) winners, the Canton corps fought tooth-and-nail with the Blue Devils throughout 2019. What’s in store for 2022? Only time will tell. Bloo loves to keep things under wraps until that Tour Premiere. Looking forward to another season with lots of “Kinetic Noise” and “TILT”s with other corps.

Boston Crusaders: A lot of chatter about BAC to step-off this 2022 season. Never finishing higher than 5th place, most recently in 2018 with “S.O.S.”, Boston has claimed the Color Guard caption in back-to-back seasons. BAC posted their best score ever in 2019 (94.488). Can the Crusaders keep on their “Rise” and “Zoom” forward on their “Conquest” to a medal year or even better?

The Cadets: The Allentown corps seems to have some good mojo coming into 2022 after an enjoyable throwback/greatest-hits show in 2021. Competitively, 2019 saw The Cadets with their lowest placement since 1980. The ten-time DCI Champion medaled most recently in 2014 and won Brass in 2015 despite a 4th place finish.

Carolina Crown: Will the brass dominance continue? Crown has won the Jim Ott (Brass) seven times since 2009 and has placed no lower than 2nd in the Brass caption since 2010. The Fort Mill corps came close to medaling in 2019, but SCV held serve. Will Crown’s “Relentless” brass power them into the top three again? What kind of design elements are “Beneath the Surface” of this show? “It Is…” only a matter of time before we find out.

The Cavaliers: The Cavies have been within striking distance, hovering around that 4th-6th tier with the Boston Crusaders the past few seasons. The men from Rosement, IL most recently enjoyed a medal in 2011 when they claimed the Fred Sanford (Percussion) and took 3rd place. Is this surging Cavaliers corps “Signs of the Times?” Or will the Green Machine stay on “The Wrong Side of the Tracks?”

Colts: The Dubuque corps took a “Leap of Faith” in 2021 and made “True Believers” out of fans who want to see this corps crack the Top 12 again. That has not occurred since 2007, but the Colts seem engaged. And, if you’re wondering if this corps will ever stop improving and doing their craft? “When Hell Freezes Over!”

Crossmen: The Crossmen have been in “The In-Between” hovering around 10th-12th place since 2014. Certainly an interesting repertoire in 2022 with “A Mobius Trip,” so we shall see where this corps lands come August. Make no Bones about it though, Crossmen brass have been making moves the past couple of seasons.

Genesis: Still the “new kids on the block,” Genesis started “From the Ground Up” in 2017, joining the World Class ranks. Making a substantial jump from 24th to 20th place from 2018-2019, will this corps continue building with “Dorothy?”

Jersey Surf: Have not heard much about Surf for this upcoming season. However, the corps cracked back into the Top 25 in 2019 with “FantaSea.” I’m sure despite the “Ebb & Flow” of DCI ongoings, Surf will come out and produce another enjoyable show!

Madison Scouts: While Madison was “The Last Man Standing,” finishing 12th in 2017, the corps has not made finals since then. I have seen a repertoire announced, but not much else about what we can expect for the upcoming season. Whatever I may be, I’m sure the MM’s will pour their “Heart & Soul” into it!

Mandarins: The most recent new finalist, joining the Top 12 in 2018 with “Life Rite After”, the Sacramento corps has seen a remarkable jump in competitive success since 2014. Jumping from 21st place in 2014 to 10th place in 2018, I cannot easily find a quicker ascension up the ranks. Will their success continue in 2022 and will they hold their spot in the Top 12?

Music City: I have been hearing a lot of chatter about “Gasoline Rainbows” and what’s in store for the Nashville corps in 2022. Music City finished 23rd in 2019 after joining the World Class ranks in 2018. Let’s see what this season brings!

Pacific Crest: Exploding onto the scene in 2019 with their highest score and placement to date (85.35 / 14th place), Pacific Crest seems progged to be the next challenger to make Finals. What will be the “eX” factor that pushes this corps over that boundary? Seems like an exciting year ahead!

Phantom Regiment: Competitively, Phantom slipped to their lowest placement (12th) since 1973 at the end of the 2019 season. Phantom most recently won a caption in 2010 with the Fred Sanford (Percussion) crown. Phantom most recently medaled with “Turandot” in 2012 and has been on a competitive decline since. In “This New World” of drum corps, will Phantom continue their 47-year long streak of making Finals? Let’s see what “No Walk Too Far” has in store for us.

Santa Clara Vanguard: Enjoying recent success as the 2018 gold medalist with “Babylon” can SCV keep the pedal to the metal with “Finding Nirvana” this season? The Vanguard is on a four-year streak (2016-2019) of taking the percussion caption – will that continue? One thing is for sure – that battery and that hornline are a real “Force of Nature!”

Troopers: Most recently in the Top 12 in 2009, hype has been building around the Casper corps on social media and in the offseason. Finishing 18th in 2019, the Troopers have some darn good corps to compete with to climb their way back to finals. With the many “Duels & Duets” within DCI these days, I eagerly await to see what “VorAcious” brings to the field.

Holy cow this is a great post! 

Looking at how long it's been since BD won alot of those captions, just speaks to how boss they are across all captions. 

It's like BD take's the "Good at everything, Master of nothing approach."

You want to beat BD, you better be good across the board. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

It will have the same over/under when/if BD goes top 2 for the 14th consecutive DCI Season, and the ABBD basement dwellers start their annual chanting of BD cheating and paying off judges, with once again zero proof or evidence of it happening. 

Hey, who doesn't love a little ABBA.  I listen to Dancing Queen sometimes in my basement.  Wait... I just used my reading glasses; never mind.  :spitting:

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

Like craiga, I wasn't referring to you either. You are also one of the classy one's that I enjoy having conversations with. 

A vast majority of the trolls I am referring too, normally make their appearance in the major regionals/finals threads win/if BD wins. Or they show up early in the season screaming west coast inflation every time BD wins, which would be fine, except that there was no inflation talk in 2018 when SCV/Babylon was running the yard and deservedly so.

Interesting how that works. 

Yeah, well you're one of the good one's on here too!

I'm super excited to know that you've got a kid in Gold!

I agree that there is angst when BD wins, and especially in 2018 when SCV was winning, they didn't get the criticism that BD gets, but it was the same thing when Cavaliers were winning 20 years ago. People get tired of seeing a certain design aesthetic being rewarded competitively and like to see change in influence from time to time.  That hasn't really happened as much as it should ( imho).

I do admit to being one that likes to see different design choices, done well, win. That's why Bluecoats winning and SCV winning were great, and their wins pushed design choices in good ways!

I don't enjoy the haters who just want to hate all the time though.

I predict that BD is going to have a really fantastic show design this year. The music is interesting.

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Duplicate

Edited by jjeffeory
Duplicate

27 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Yeah, well you're one of the good one's on here too!

I'm super excited to know that you've got a kid in Gold!

I agree that there is angst when BD wins, and especially in 2018 when SCV was winning, they didn't get the criticism that BD gets, but it was the same thing when Cavaliers were winning 20 years ago. People get tired of seeing a certain design aesthetic being rewards and like to see change in influence.

I do admit to being one that likes to see different design choices, done well, win.

I don't enjoy the haters who just want to hate all the time though.

I predict that BD is going to have a really fantastic show design this year. The music is interesting.

Thanks brother!! I can't believe we are just over two weeks away from my son's first show in San Diego!

I think what's really going to get me is the following night when he performs at the Rose Bowl. I have been going there for years for football games, DCI, etc. Rose Bowl is iconic! To watch my son walk out on the field on the 25th, I have a feeling someone sitting in my section will be cutting onions.........lol. 

Regarding SCV in 2018, i certainly didn't want them to get criticism of any kind. Babylon deserved and earned everything they got. Between me and you, i thought they was underscored on finals night. They should have been closer to the 99 barrier if not over it. I just found it funny that when Babylon was putting up the early June scores that BD normally post, no one said west coast inflation, if that makes sense. 

Yes i do remember some people where starting to whisper about the Cavies winning all the time after their win in 2006. Wasn't nearly as bad as what BD gets, but it was being voiced. But those Cavies shows were monsters and just so #### enjoyable!

But i have to admit, if there would have been one more week in the 2006 season, i believe PR and Faust would have made things very interesting. Just my opinion. 

Edited by Chief Guns
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, craiga said:

After spending 8 days in Vermont, I am compelled to revise my prediction.   I now am flipping Boston to 1st place and BD to second.  People will jump all over me calling me a "homer". While that may be true, I have been in the activity since 1979, and in those 43 years, I have never, ever, not once even suggested that the Boston Crusaders could end up winning 1st.  Until now.

Nice to hear that Boston is exciting you this much. To be honest I do not recall any Boston die-hard predicting that Boston would take the title. Whether that happens or not it's nice to know you are excited about the show. I know I am excited to see them. I thought their brass line was incredibly good last year. A top notch horn line that would have contended with Crown or Bluecoats in 2019. I know the general DCI fanbase would love it to see a corps like Boston hit top 3 for the first time ever, and if they won...I think the crowd would go crazy. 

I still believe the championship goes through the Blue Devils, but I am always pulling for the Bluecoats since I live here in Northeast Ohio. That said, my favorite corps from my youth days was, and still is, The Cadets; but I am not predicting them in the top 5. I can't wait to see them and if they were to jump into the top 5 I think that would be amazing. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 4

There's nothing wrong with being ABBD. This isn't exactly sports where you put the ball in the net and you score points, and that's all there is to it.

I'll cut to the chase--You don't have to like a corps simply because they are winning. My favorite all time performance (as listed on my bio) is Phantom Regiment 2003. Obviously I don't like that show because of its placement (4th), I like it because I think the design is fantastic. I don't doubt the presence of unnecessary hatred and bitterness in this activity, but there is nothing inherently bitter or unfair about (consistently) disliking a corps' design philosophy. 

And just for the record: I do like BD shows sometimes 🙂

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, valjean said:

There's nothing wrong with being ABBD. This isn't exactly sports where you put the ball in the net and you score points, and that's all there is to it.

I'll cut to the chase--You don't have to like a corps simply because they are winning. My favorite all time performance (as listed on my bio) is Phantom Regiment 2003. Obviously I don't like that show because of its placement (4th), I like it because I think the design is fantastic. I don't doubt the presence of unnecessary hatred and bitterness in this activity, but there is nothing inherently bitter or unfair about (consistently) disliking a corps' design philosophy. 

And just for the record: I do like BD shows sometimes 🙂

I think we have two different outlooks on ABBD. For starters, i agree with your post. Well said. Of course i don't expect everyone to like the same corps, that would be kinda boring honestly lol. If someone doesn't like BD cause of design/music/visual etc..........that's totally cool and i can live with that. 

When i say ABBD, I am referring to those people that year after year consistently make up lies, spread hate, throw out double standards, just because BD won and their favorite corps, "OR" the corps they thought should have won didn't, if that makes sense. 

And even though i am biggest BD Honk, they don't always have my favorite show each year. 2019.......Cavaliers was my favorite show. Saw them live in San Bernardino Ca, Cavies was the only corps that night to receive multiple standing ovations. Now Ghostlight and The Bluecoats were the best show's hands down, but Wrong Side Of The Tracks was an animal, and i was very grateful they came out West. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1