Vehicles in a DCI corps caravan?

Thought of this after touring with rising gas prices went off the rails and closed. (And guess who had the last off topic post 🥴).

What vehicles and how many are used by a corps while touring. Thinking of buses, semis, trucks, vehicles that don’t travel with the corps (emergency needs, planning at next site, etc).

The Cadets have a nice chart under their "About the Cadets" tab.  (Scroll down to "Our Fleet".)  What's funny is the top three coaches look like "MCI" models. (Possibly "Prevost" but I think they're MCIs.)  The 2nd line of three coaches are definitely "Vanhool" models.  

Not sure about the model of the semi tractors.  (Looks like someone made use of their free "Clipart" files.)   But it's a great description for our visual learners in the audience like me. 😁  But we're missing the prop trucks. 🧐

https://cadets.org/about    

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Thanks 1

When I marched - 16 years ago - Cadets had the standard two semis - equipment truck and food truck; a staff RV, souvenir trailer, and four buses. Props were in a 25 ft box truck. 

I think we might see a little more sanity creeping in…

1 minute ago, FTNK said:

When I marched - 16 years ago - Cadets had the standard two semis - equipment truck and food truck; a staff RV, souvenir trailer, and four buses. Props were in a 25 ft box truck. 

I think we might see a little more sanity creeping in…

I think the bottom line 'Class B' RV is for the volunteers?  I think they use a motor coach for staff. 🤔     

27 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

The Cadets have a nice chart under their "About the Cadets" tab.  (Scroll down to "Our Fleet".)  What's funny is the top three coaches look like "MCI" models. (Possibly "Prevost" but I think they're MCIs.)  The 2nd line of three coaches are definitely "Vanhool" models.  

Not sure about the model of the semi tractors.  (Looks like someone made use of their free "Clipart" files.)   But it's a great description for our visual learners in the audience like me. 😁  But we're missing the prop trucks. 🧐

https://cadets.org/about    

Thought I was detail oriented on vehicles but you know the manufacturers. 😁

Family had a garage and car dealership plus dad had CDL (commercial drivers license for anyone who doesn’t know). I didn’t work in the transportation field but always interested 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

it really varies between corps. Majority of the larger corps (Top 12) have much more vehicles/support vehicles than a smaller corps and/or Senior Corps. 

This is NOT inclusive to all corps, just an idea of what may possibly be used in a Top 12 corps:

• Three 53' tractor trailers (Instrument/uniforms, equipment, food)

• (electrical and water hook-ups may be needed for food truck)

• Five 53' coach buses (members/staff/volunteer)

• One box truck with attached trailer (souvie/supply)

• One mini van (support, quick town trips)

A couple random thoughts on the topic of corps caravans...

Rental trucks for pulling the trailers have been in short supply in recent months, which has significantly raised the price of renting one.  While the supply is improving and corps shouldn't have an issue finding two as needed, they will likely be paying a premium price in comparison to recent years.

On the coach bus side of things, I would hope/assume most corps already have a signed contract in place reserving the necessary coach buses for this summer.  Depending on how the contracts are structured, most carriers have the ability to add an additional fuel surcharge on top of the initially agreed upon price.  This surcharge often times won't be calculated or imposed until the last couple weeks before the scheduled beginning of service (14 days out is pretty common).  Most contracts specify a total amount that the surcharge can equal (ex. 5% of initial contract), but that may not necessarily be the final cost.  Many carriers also have a "force majeure" clause in their contracts that allow them to further alter or cancel the contract altogether if certain criteria are met (ex. war, fuel shortage, labor shortage, political or civil unrest, etc...).  While it might be a stretch for a carrier to invoke that clause right now, it's certainly worthwhile for the corps to aware of its presence and be working on contingency plans (funding or alternate carriers) if it does come to that.

Keep in mind, the price of fuel influences the cost of most everything we do. The increased cost to move ALL products and services is passed down to the consumer until the final link in the ‘chain’ is reached.

The affordability of our beloved activity is being hammered from every direction. As we confront this, supporting people and elements DO drop out. Rough times ahead.

Thank goodness for Flo Marching Arts (such as it is).

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, rjohn76 said:

Most contracts specify a total amount that the surcharge can equal (ex. 5% of initial contract), but that may not necessarily be the final cost.  Many carriers also have a "force majeure" clause in their contracts that allow them to further alter or cancel the contract altogether if certain criteria are met (ex. war, fuel shortage, labor shortage, political or civil unrest, etc...).  While it might be a stretch for a carrier to invoke that clause right now, it's certainly worthwhile for the corps to aware of its presence and be working on contingency plans (funding or alternate carriers) if it does come to that.

Are you suggesting that Corps should know what is in a contract before they sign the contract?!?.

What a radical concept.

• Haha 2