Diesel shortages?

43 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

My dad was a power-grid engineer. So I understand a bit how it works.  We are nowhere near the electricity generation capacity nor distribution system required for what the auto manufacturers are touting.   And adding capacity takes years.  So someone better go fix that

Jim is a solutions architect designing enterprise integrated security and communication systems for electrical substations. Most of them are coal.  He said we’re not even close to being ready for everyone owning electric vehicles. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Color me unsurprised again.  Would you invest in a costly refinery upgrade when the consensus is that society will be decreasing fossil fuel use?

The refinery owners have been refusing to increase capacity for over 20 years, and it's because it gives them more control over prices....

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mcjordansc said:

I wasn't trying to start an electric grid discussion or a debate on the validity of EV vehicles. I was simply pointing out why investors are not keen on putting money into new refineries. 

I understand that but it is still part of the conversation.  I’d go buy a Tesla tomorrow if I thought I could travel longer distances on a charge and be able to recharge easily and quickly.

I read this the other day in the WSJ.  https://www.wsj.com/articles/i-rented-an-electric-car-for-a-four-day-road-trip-i-spent-more-time-charging-it-than-i-did-sleeping-11654268401?st=wdi1j0xyttmhz3o

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mcjordansc said:

Investors are planning for the future, that is why new refineries are not being built. Returns are uncertain. Automobile companies are moving fast to EV vehicles. Last year GM pledged to phase-out all petroleum-powered vehicles by 2035. All car manufacturers are on the same path. This is why you will see no new refineries built. 

That explains reasons why upgrades are not being done NOW. Does not explain why this has been ignored for decades.

And doesn’t sound like there is a back up plan in case those big plans don’t all come about. (I worked 40 years IT for Uncle Sam and have seen plans go pfft or get delayed too many times)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

The refinery owners have been refusing to increase capacity for over 20 years, and it's because it gives them more control over prices....

Just to be clear I wasn’t talking about new refineries or increasing capacity. I was talking about taking the hard decision to shut down for a while to upgrade what is already there. 

• Thanks 1

More on topic…. Anyone have an idea what percentage of a corps budget goes to transportation? Would be interested to compare 2019 to the final result on 2022.

Ok my families background is transportation so I’ll admit to having a fixation 

Just make cars nuclear powered, I'd love to have a VW Beetle that glows in the dark. If I could fit into the #### thing, that is. 

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Just to be clear I wasn’t talking about new refineries or increasing capacity. I was talking about taking the hard decision to shut down for a while to upgrade what is already there. 

They do that every season when they're going into different formulations.

20 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

They do that every season when they're going into different formulations.

Any idea how long that takes? Can’t remember the time estimate of upgrading/replacing the hardware.

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Jim is a solutions architect designing enterprise integrated security and communication systems for electrical substations. Most of them are coal.  He said we’re not even close to being ready for everyone owning electric vehicles. 

I have worked in the power grid business for years, Jim is 100% correct. 

• Like 3