Santa Clara Vanguard 2022

Hopefully, like with other seasons, SCV keeps on adding layers to the show that have more of an impact on everything. The closer seems like a place holder for something special. Every time I watch the show it seems like there is something more cooking that hasn't been added... I can't explain it. The show overall has grown on me big time. I love the music especially the end where the two main melodies are coming together. SCV!!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can be protective, I am as well, I have a long history with the organization dating back to the 90s, and have watched the corps struggle to escape institutional and design issues, usually of their own making.

I am completely in favor of the legacy elements that give the corps it's own personal identity. The problem is, that those "sprinkles" are not design. Too often the design teams (multiple, this is an institutional issue, not connected with one designer or another) think that these effect moments/gimmicks can be sprinkled in to make a show feel "Santa Clara", but they forget the main component of what made the corps special, which is the dedication to clear and compelling story telling. The last person to really understand that was J.W., and when he and his team left the corps really suffered to find their identity, all the way up to 2017.

I had hopes they had found their groove, but 2019 was a step back in the wrong direction, and it appears like their still spinning their wheels trying to figure it out again. 

Placing out of medal contention is fine, but the problem is that this corps could absolutely be doing better, if they were given a different vehicle. It's a failure that comes from the top unfortunately. 

Edited by MarimbaManiac
  • Like 2

……. does anyone else LIKE 2019? I really dig that show. It saddens me to see it so often cited as a bad show or as a turning point. Clearly it’s a show that tried to use the Babylon blueprint with a slightly different bag of tricks. But it’s its own show, IMO, and it hits different sweet spots than its predecessor. I revisit it often. Especially that funky tune in the middle. 

Anyway IDK — I trust SCV. What I’ve always like about SCV is their willingness to be experimental at a very high level. The same organization that did Copland the Modernist also did Ballad for Martha, Scheherazade,  BARTOK, Sound Shape & Color, Les Miz, Devil’s Staircase, Babylon… All very different, all very SCV to me. I don’t think of them as a corps that’s good at compelling storytelling or easy entertainment. I think of them as risk takers, for better and, sure, sometimes for worse. 

I like this new show. I think it’s sad that people feel let down. 

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

……. does anyone else LIKE 2019? I really dig that show. It saddens me to see it so often cited as a bad show or as a turning point. Clearly it’s a show that tried to use the Babylon blueprint with a slightly different bag of tricks. But it’s its own show, IMO, and it hits different sweet spots than its predecessor. I revisit it often. Especially that funky tune in the middle. 

Anyway IDK — I trust SCV. What I’ve always like about SCV is their willingness to be experimental at a very high level. The same organization that did Copland the Modernist also did Ballad for Martha, Scheherazade,  BARTOK, Sound Shape & Color, Les Miz, Devil’s Staircase, Babylon… All very different, all very SCV to me. I don’t think of them as a corps that’s good at compelling storytelling or easy entertainment. I think of them as risk takers, for better and, sure, sometimes for worse. 

I like this new show. I think it’s sad that people feel let down. 

2018 did it all for me. 2019 I liked,  and thought musically it was even better. I felt musically that show did things no one else did that year (I know not many liked the ending, but for me that long musical phrase was everything). As a whole comprehensive show (adding in its visual and GE elements), I can see why most see it as a step back. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Hirsbrunner said:

2018 did it all for me. 2019 I liked,  and thought musically it was even better. I felt musically that show did things no one else did that year (I know not many liked the ending, but for me that long musical phrase was everything). As a whole comprehensive show (adding in its visual and GE elements), I can see why most see it as a step back. 

I thought it was better musically too! Wicked sounds in that show IMHO.  

• Like 2

I love how you can hear the brass parts in your mind when you listen to the (stellar!) perc parts. 

Also, did they wear these new unis at Denton?! Nice! 😍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1