Santa Clara Vanguard 2022

1 hour ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Not SC's fault if those corps are setting themselves up for rude awakenings. 💚💞

Do you really think so? I mean of course you never know, but it's so hard to move up in this day and age. I would love to see that happy, but I'm not holding my breath. I've been too disappointed in the past.

13 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

Do you really think so? I mean of course you never know, but it's so hard to move up in this day and age. I would love to see that happy, but I'm not holding my breath. I've been too disappointed in the past.

As I look at the latest scores....

One GE judge has capped their achievement. The other ranked content over achievement. This is another reason I say they'll probably deliver on a giant splash of GE. It's logical, it fits our legacy, and the closer sets them up for it nicely. There are just lots of elements that aren't in place yet, but I've seen them patiently add a piece for each show. That said, our big GE push in 04 didn't manage to drastically change our placement so this is a risky choice. Obviously, I'm all for it: waiting can enrich the MM experience big time and potentially keep them from peaking too early! It's FUUUUUUN!

The visual judges are all over the place, but accurately so. Essentially, they aren't achieving their book yet (SO MUCH CHOREO!) but they are performing the #### out of it and being awarded for it. The guard isn't achieving their book yet either, as they have shifting holes/injuries to contend with. (One place I've been watching for is a feature in the closer with the 12 flags around the percussion in a cross formation. I haven't seen this with all members yet all season, as far as I can tell. Sad, the 04 show had a flag hole in the opening hit leading up to and including finals. 😭) I can see the guard designers playing this year safe and therefor giving them a relatively lower-scoring book to-date... or they'll keep progressively adding, hard to tell from so far away. If I could get a little spicy, I'd continue to point out that the guard needs to demonstrate that they can point their feet more consistently. Over all, still, there's much room for improvement in book and achievement, and the judges are doing their jobs, pointing out the way.

In Music, they aren't achieving their books across the board. Again, that's a great place to be right now. But look at the difference in content among the sections (even including guard.) JONZ has a medal-worthy book now. The judges are saying that the other sections don't. Yet, hopefully. And if that doesn't change, then I hope JONZ is still very proud, possibly more proud. They have a legacy of carrying the corps in the past with their badassery and there's no shame in it. When you're stronger, it's your job to support the rest of your corps. Period. (That's probably Myron talking.) Both other sections are restricted in-part by design, not achievement at this point.

As I use my spidey sense...

Scoring is the means to an end, not the destination itself. That said, I would be overjoyed if the judges and community were able to watch an "underdog" show about liberation and healing win first place. It would send an excellent overall message during the pandemic. Also, it would mean a lot to me personally as someone who is seeking healing and reconciliation with this corps.

But with this show in particular, if SC TRIES to win, they'll be counteracting the whole message and intent of the show. Aside from the notes for designers above, the MMs have to soften, lean into that ballad, and win over more hearts... something they're learning is earned with warmth and ease, not force.

1 hour ago, henry7184 said:

Agreed. It’s hard to jump tiers like that, though I’ll give SCV credit for one of the biggest improvements this year (in my opinion as a fan only).  I’m always rooting for SCV bc their music and performances hit an emotional spot (for me) and they also tend to standout as memorable shows (even if they dont win).

Im pulling for ya, SCV!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, NewArpege said:

SCV is consistently one of my fav corps, but I wasn’t feeling this years show until a video I just watched. wow, has it improved since beginning of season. Bluecoats and Crown better not sleep on SCV!

Same here, I'm not what sure what happened but it finally clicked for me. I love it! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Allow me to provide.  It finally ties the theme together for me in ways this show simply hasn't all season.  It's totally a modern SCV signature on the show and has pushed this show from being "impressive" to being one I don't wanna miss all season just to see that. 

Also, it was pretty dang clean already for all the intricate movement everyone has to do to make it work! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/28/2022 at 5:25 PM, scheherazadesghost said:

As I look at the latest scores....

One GE judge has capped their achievement. The other ranked content over achievement. This is another reason I say they'll probably deliver on a giant splash of GE. It's logical, it fits our legacy, and the closer sets them up for it nicely. There are just lots of elements that aren't in place yet, but I've seen them patiently add a piece for each show. That said, our big GE push in 04 didn't manage to drastically change our placement so this is a risky choice. Obviously, I'm all for it: waiting can enrich the MM experience big time and potentially keep them from peaking too early! It's FUUUUUUN!

The visual judges are all over the place, but accurately so. Essentially, they aren't achieving their book yet (SO MUCH CHOREO!) but they are performing the #### out of it and being awarded for it. The guard isn't achieving their book yet either, as they have shifting holes/injuries to contend with. (One place I've been watching for is a feature in the closer with the 12 flags around the percussion in a cross formation. I haven't seen this with all members yet all season, as far as I can tell. Sad, the 04 show had a flag hole in the opening hit leading up to and including finals. 😭) I can see the guard designers playing this year safe and therefor giving them a relatively lower-scoring book to-date... or they'll keep progressively adding, hard to tell from so far away. If I could get a little spicy, I'd continue to point out that the guard needs to demonstrate that they can point their feet more consistently. Over all, still, there's much room for improvement in book and achievement, and the judges are doing their jobs, pointing out the way.

In Music, they aren't achieving their books across the board. Again, that's a great place to be right now. But look at the difference in content among the sections (even including guard.) JONZ has a medal-worthy book now. The judges are saying that the other sections don't. Yet, hopefully. And if that doesn't change, then I hope JONZ is still very proud, possibly more proud. They have a legacy of carrying the corps in the past with their badassery and there's no shame in it. When you're stronger, it's your job to support the rest of your corps. Period. (That's probably Myron talking.) Both other sections are restricted in-part by design, not achievement at this point.

As I use my spidey sense...

Scoring is the means to an end, not the destination itself. That said, I would be overjoyed if the judges and community were able to watch an "underdog" show about liberation and healing win first place. It would send an excellent overall message during the pandemic. Also, it would mean a lot to me personally as someone who is seeking healing and reconciliation with this corps.

But with this show in particular, if SC TRIES to win, they'll be counteracting the whole message and intent of the show. Aside from the notes for designers above, the MMs have to soften, lean into that ballad, and win over more hearts... something they're learning is earned with warmth and ease, not force.

Great write up. After last night, this is my favorite show of the season. It's really grown on me. I don't understand whey they are so far behind Crown in scoring, but as I have said a million times I'm not qualified to judge. I just hope they start making a move soon. It needs a huge explosion of color and maybe that will happen in the ending set. When I think of Nirvana and what that would be to me, it would be a place with orange and pink bursting out to compliment the purple - colorful, vibrant, happy. Color does make us happy. I think white is beautiful, but it typically doesn't exude joy like color does. You all have my permission to start laughing at me for what I just said, LOL.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

Great write up. After last night, this is my favorite show of the season. It's really grown on me. I don't understand whey they are so far behind Crown in scoring, but as I have said a million times I'm not qualified to judge. I just hope they start making a move soon. It needs a huge explosion of color and maybe that will happen in the ending set. When I think of Nirvana and what that would be to me, it would be a place with orange and pink bursting out to compliment the purple - colorful, vibrant, happy. Color does make us happy. I think white is beautiful, but it typically doesn't exude joy like color does. You all have my permission to start laughing at me for what I just said, LOL.

I know my corps. I cannot accept that this is the end product. The design has proven too masterful for that. And I'm not even on the inside. This is purely based on my own experiences with SC and what I'm seeing on the field.

It's really fun to keep design secrets from the audience all season. This is our legacy.

Orange and pink bursting from that ending mandala set would be perfect, you're right.

Edited by scheherazadesghost
  • Like 1