Santa Clara Vanguard 2022

1 hour ago, RickCogley said:

I love how you can hear the brass parts in your mind when you listen to the (stellar!) perc parts. 

Also, did they wear these new unis at Denton?! Nice! 😍

Not yet… 😉

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Reed said:

Not yet… 😉

Well, they were under the other tops…

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

……. does anyone else LIKE 2019? I really dig that show. It saddens me to see it so often cited as a bad show or as a turning point. Clearly it’s a show that tried to use the Babylon blueprint with a slightly different bag of tricks. But it’s its own show, IMO, and it hits different sweet spots than its predecessor. I revisit it often. Especially that funky tune in the middle. 

Anyway IDK — I trust SCV. What I’ve always like about SCV is their willingness to be experimental at a very high level. The same organization that did Copland the Modernist also did Ballad for Martha, Scheherazade,  BARTOK, Sound Shape & Color, Les Miz, Devil’s Staircase, Babylon… All very different, all very SCV to me. I don’t think of them as a corps that’s good at compelling storytelling or easy entertainment. I think of them as risk takers, for better and, sure, sometimes for worse. 

I like this new show. I think it’s sad that people feel let down. 

They were at one point, though.

I don't dislike 2019. I think Vox Eversio suffers from following two phenomenally great shows (2017 and 2018), people can't help but compare them. I thought it was different enough from Babylon, but lacked the same cohesiveness and flow as it predecessors. What they started with at the beginning of the season was solid. Then came the closer. It's like the design team forgot what the show was about and then decided to add a plot. Underground post-punk finds peace in society? It felt so out of place. I think that's why I find myself revisiting parts of the show at times (there's great moments in there), but not as a whole.

Edited by dcsnare93
  • Like 2

On 7/22/2022 at 10:14 AM, DFA1970 said:

Different direction for some SCV alumni is not a happy place. I have a friend who marched in  Vanguard in the 90's now lives in AZ. Believe me he's not a happy person in re to.... He thinks the current SCV is losing their identity. He saw them in Tempe a few weeks ago and ah...not happy. I think his main thing is why these unis. In his words...At least BD still look like BD but in a modern approach so why can't Santa Clara do the same. 

Your friend in Tempe is correct.

This year’s show could be called “Bye Bye Babylon”. Sorry, just not feeling it. It would take a minor miracle to place top-3 at this point.

Hate to say it…but it looks to me like the Devils weathered the “Covid retreat” better than SCV. And after seeing the Devils here last night at DCI Houston, I don’t think they are quite back to 2019 form either…but they seem closer than SCV (at this point).

Edited by PeterGabriel

31 minutes ago, PeterGabriel said:

Your friend in Tempe is correct.

This year’s show couple be called “Bye Bye Babylon”. Sorry, just not feeling it. It would take a minor miracle to place top-3 at this point.

Hate to say it…but it looks to me like the Devils weathered the “Covid retreat” better than SCV. And after seeing the Devils here last night at DCI Houston, I don’t think they are quite back to 2019 form either…but they seem closer than SCV (at this point).

I actually think now SCV could finish 4th come finals. I think and hope they will eventually pass Bluecoats. They are on top 5 no matter what. They have come along way since late June and I’m feeling it now for them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1