Santa Clara Vanguard 2022

Been away for a few days but have been following the discussion.  Watched the Allentown video and am very pleased with the improvements in flow/continuity and overall feel of the show.  Love the new ending (and the return to the "even year soft ending" trend we had for awhile 😎).  @RickCogleyI agree about some of the form "misses" in a couple of spots.  There almost seems to be a feeling of "I have to get ready for the next run/sprint" and they don't wait quite long enough for the form completion, but there's MUCH more clarity going on.

Anyone else getting a vibe from the last, unison arm move when they're all seated that a "floating, slowly rising cymbal V" might be in the offing?

5 hours ago, gak27 said:

Been away for a few days but have been following the discussion.  Watched the Allentown video and am very pleased with the improvements in flow/continuity and overall feel of the show.  Love the new ending (and the return to the "even year soft ending" trend we had for awhile 😎).  @RickCogleyI agree about some of the form "misses" in a couple of spots.  There almost seems to be a feeling of "I have to get ready for the next run/sprint" and they don't wait quite long enough for the form completion, but there's MUCH more clarity going on.

Anyone else getting a vibe from the last, unison arm move when they're all seated that a "floating, slowly rising cymbal V" might be in the offing?

💯 want.

11 hours ago, gak27 said:

there's MUCH more clarity going on

yes, absolutely true. It's much better clarity-wise, which makes any M&M error stand out. I noticed some interesting difficulty today on the Cincinnati Flo stream: there are places where the drill is symmetrical but super spread out, so you'll have a "pod" of four people doing the same thing on side A and B, which must be a bear to clean since I'm sure they can't see each other through all the prop-age lol. 

The sop, I mean trumpet trio was out of tune again, but at least the one guy corrected for it with his slide before the big finish. At least, to this drummer, that's what it looked like. 

I was disappointed to see that the score went down vs Allentown. Annoying.

• Like 4

I found a movement motif in this show y'all might enjoy. The first guard soloist and then, early in the first movement, the rest of the corps repeats a gesture that, to me, looks like they are sprinkling herbs or maybe incense from one hand to another. They repeat this gesture throughout and certainly at the end of the show as well.

The following bharatanatyam dance for film showed up in my feed and turns out, there are some similar gestures. Now, I realize that much of the convo until now has centered around a Buddhist interpretation of nirvana, but I propose exhibit B as evidence of the Hindu (edit: Indian, not Hindu) tradition making an appearance as in this show as well. Early in Discovering Devi, the performer makes similar gestures that look like sprinkling herbs or incense. If you aren't familiar bharatanatyam is a beautiful, traditional dance form that served a similar original purpose as ballet, for royalty; many, if not all, of the hand and facial gestures have individual meaning, and she is telling a narrative throughout. It's also one of the few dance forms in which women are traditionally permitted to depict war and battle, that I can think of. Enjoy!

Bring it OHM Santa Clara!

Edited by scheherazadesghost

It’s definitely Indian. The line between Hinduism and Buddhism is not as stark as fundamentalists on either end would have you think.  

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

It’s definitely Indian. The line between Hinduism and Buddhism is not as stark as fundamentalists on either end would have you think.  

To your point, sometimes fusion, if carefully crafted, can highlight the message behind an aesthetic choice... which is ultimately more important than the method of delivery. Not sure which if that's the case here, but I'm not mad about it. Love dem plates too much for any of that.. too busy vibing!

https://postimg.cc/WDzQgx1y

https://postimg.cc/kBX37Vd9

Edited by scheherazadesghost

That’s an all deaf performing group doing the 1000 hands by the way.