Corps at the Crest

4 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Wrong. The paying customer is not irrelevant. The paying customer is the most important part of this activity. Without us, there wouldn't be any shows.

While I'm fine with the drill and the guard work not being finished this early, I think it should be a requirement that the full show is played. It's hugely disappointing when you attend a show and don't get to hear the whole show.

if judges really dinged corps much more on the score sheets early in the season for having incomplete shows, the problem would be solved immediately, and the following season, Corps , especially in the upper tiers, would move heaven and earth to be certain they had a complete show on the field by the last week of June.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Boss Anova said:

if judges really dinged corps much more on the score sheets early in the season for having incomplete shows, the problem would be solved immediately, and the following season, Corps , especially in the upper tiers, would move heaven and earth to be certain they had a complete show on the field by the last week of June.

They would do the same thing they are doing now. Focusing on the quality and what their members can achieve in due time. Why would they care about early scores?

• Like 2

Simple review of tonight’s shows. 

Scv- very underwhelmed. Looks like getting rid of JD was a bad idea. Music is kinda boring. SCV music usually gives me chills. Not this year. Drums are solid as always. Not very good staging for the snare feature when the disappeared behind the entire drum corps. I saw kids out of step!!!! I don’t know if this will be a top 3 show. 

Mandarins- wow, wow, wow. This was the show of the night! They are gonna kill it. Music is great, staging is great. Props are a wow!!! This show is gonna go after some other finalist groups and pass them up. 

Academy- solid start for them. Good overall show. Most likely not a finalist. But going to be in the top 15. Music is good, drill is solid always. 

PC- they have a lot of issues….. recruitment is obviously a problem and they have holes all over. Looks like they kept writing drill and didn’t change anything. The opener music is great, but then goes down hill from there. This will sadly will not be a good year for them competitively. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Really enjoyed Pacific Crest tonight, loved the props, they added the right element of fun.  Really enjoyed the music, it was highly listenable and I can see how it will improve as the season progresses. Color guard looks great.  

All the shows look kinda green as to be expected.

SCV seemed like 2018 2.0, didn’t really grab me, but I didn’t hate it either.. Was not impressed by the lack of ending, seems like a cheap stunt.

Looking forward to more shows and a great season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

If anything, the people on the field are the paying customers! 

100% 

Stanford is always my first show of the summer and usually one of the first performances of the west coast corps. Unfinished shows are very common. Guard unis are often generic place holders. The shows (even with their ending) are never what they are in August.  It’s all part of the process. I’m fine with it. The entertainment is still off the charts. Drop some more $$ at the souvie booths…. support them all you can. 

• Like 3

Not gonna lie, I love that people are underestimating SCV’s show... 😈 

I absolutely live for “I was wrong” season on DCP. 👹

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Paying customers who buy green bananas don’t get to complain that they aren’t ripe yet, IMO.

And you also don’t pay for one corps. You pay for an entire night of corps. You can say this or that corps fielded an incomplete show. But you can’t really claim that you were treated to an incomplete night. You definitely got your money’s worth. 

That depends on what the individual considers to be their money's worth. I'm not afraid to admit that I never go to a show for the entire night. I got to a show really to see the top corps. I watched only the second half tonight, and honestly, I won't be watching anyone but Vanguard, Devils and Mandarins tomorrow night. 

Your green banana analogy is silly. I think a better one is one doesn't go to the Metropolitan Opera to see 3 out 4 for acts of an opera.

Edited by queenanne_1536

3 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Not gonna lie, I love that people are underestimating SCV’s show... 😈 

I agree. This show is championship caliber. For sure. I'm sure when they get the ending in it's going to be truly spectacular, and I bet those all white unis are going to be striped away to reveal something truly wonderful and colorful (it would fit the theme). We know they'll challenge for top percussion, and I think they will challenge for top brass and guard, too.

• Like 1