Corps at the Crest

13 hours ago, KPinCAL said:

First three corps have a combined total of- 39 brass players and 120 drummers 

Watching the open class corps, all I could think of is how many more winds these groups might have if they allowed WW into the corps. 

Perhaps this is something that the Open class should consider. Just for Open, allowing WW instrumentation. I'm sure for those corps having any number of interested members is a gigantic plus for their organization. 

• Haha 2

From my uneducated perspective:

Open Class- Congrats to Chief, his son and Gold. Loved their size and sound. They're going to make some noise in OC, I believe. 

World Class -

How great is it that Academy has re-captured their identity? Top shelf classy uniforms again, that familiar light-hearted music. They were the hit of the night for me. 

Mandarins - Not the usual dark theme and semi-sorta creepy show. Vastly improved percussion. I'll be paying a lot more attention to them this year.

Vanguard - Is their show not finished? They did that in 2019 and never recovered. Not crazy about the uniforms again. BLUE in the color guard?? Even their percussion didn't seem "on" and prepared. A bit of a disappointment to me, but there's a long way to go. 

PC - Again, just not feeling it like last year and 2019. It's like that momentum they had been building hit a wall. They looked small. 

Edited by OldSnareDrummer
Grammarly challenged
  • Like 4

I'm getting a bit tired of the BOA style openings in drum corps ( no disrespect to BOA)..You know, the quiet, coming to life or coming out of darkness into light stuff before the big hit..The ballet like dancing by #### near everyone and the requisite lifting of a guard member to the sky..lol...I still love drum corps but these openings are becoming too predictable IMO ..Hope to hear some ######, high pace openings just to break the monotony..that's all..peace.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

From my uneducated perspective:

Open Class- Congrats to Chief, his son and Gold. Loved their size and sound. They're going to make some noise in OC, I believe. 

World Class -

How great is it that Academy has re-captured their identity? Top shelf classy uniforms again, that familiar light-hearted music. They were the hit of the night for me. 

Mandarins - Not the usual dark theme and semi-sorta creepy show. Vastly improved percussion. I'll be paying a lot more attention to them this year.

Vanguard - Is their show not finished? They did that in 2019 and never recovered. Not crazy about the uniforms again. BLUE in the color guard?? Even their percussion didn't seem "on" and prepared. A bit of a disappointment to me, but there's a long way to go. 

PC - Again, just not feeling it like last year and 2019. It's like that momentum they had been building hit a wall. They looked small. 

I enjoyed The Academy, too. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Wrong. The paying customer is not irrelevant. The paying customer is the most important part of this activity. Without us, there wouldn't be any shows.

While I'm fine with the drill and the guard work not being finished this early, I think it should be a requirement that the full show is played. It's hugely disappointing when you attend a show and don't get to hear the whole show.

In theory, you are correct that the paying customer is relevant.  But in practice, not so much.

11 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

if judges really dinged corps much more on the score sheets early in the season for having incomplete shows, the problem would be solved immediately, and the following season, Corps , especially in the upper tiers, would move heaven and earth to be certain they had a complete show on the field by the last week of June.

I take it that there are no more penalties for being undertime?

3 hours ago, Tim K said:

Bringing in younger members this year could create veterans for future years.

"The best thing about freshmen is, they become sophomores." - Al Maguire, Marquette University 

• Like 2

Based on one contest, with 2 finalists from the previous competitive season, it is far too early to tell whether a show will be a championship contender.  Far too many moving parts that we have not yet seen.  We can say that Mandarins & SCV seem to be in a good position to make finals, and that Gold, Academy & PC have potential.  But that is about it.

• Like 1