Memorial Day

Nice tribute, greg. God Bless all who've sacrificed for our freedoms. 

• Like 2

There was a man in my hometown who fought in the Spanish American War and World War I. He bluffed about his age to join the Army. He lived to be over 100 years old. Each Memorial Day he played “Taps” at every cemetery and memorial in the town using a standard issue bugle from his years in the Army. He did so up to a few months before his death. There was always a backup just in case, but he never needed it, he never missed a note, and even though he was on oxygen in his final years, somehow played “Taps” like a twenty year old with full lung power.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

It used to signify the start of Drum Corps season with parades, stand-stills, and performances at veteran’s cemeteries.  What an honor it was to perform.  Our activity has its roots in the military, so today is a special day to honor those who gave their lives so we can live in freedom.  We remember their courage and sacrifice.  

When I lived in Gahanna, OH, for several years I was tapped by the VFW to give a Memorial Day speech in the local cemetery. Greatest honors of my life. 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1