Drum Corps International 50th Anniversary

13 minutes ago, Bob984 said:

They will spend tons of effort on an "ageout ceremony" (we did not have those, other than maybe leaving shoes on the field) for many kids who only marched one season, and very few who marched 3)......

Maybe they'll get a t-shirt from Dan that says "I spent $15 fxxxxx thousand dollars on drum corps over three years and all I got was this lousy t-shirt." 

• Haha 1

As I’m thinking about what will be done to celebrate the 50th, this is where Michael Boo will be missed. Anytime there was anything that required historic details he was always the one, and no one was better at putting history in a contemporary setting than Michael Boo. Steve Vickers also has incredible knowledge of the activity and he must have a ton of photos and documents. 

My guess is there will be many historic vignettes shown between shows which I believe they did with the 40th or 45th. There will be mention of the iconic corps such as 27th, Kilties, North Star, Bridgemen, Star of Indiana, and Velvet Knights. We’ll see photos and videos of Anaheim and their rifle line, Belleville Black Knights and their helmets will be featured and the shakos of the Guardsmen are a must. Maybe it will feature Terri Schehr! There may be features of multigenerational families. Those who marched in 72 could possibly have children and now grandchildren who marched. 

Regarding a performance, my guess is we would have heard rumblings by now, so my thought is it will be largely a video celebration with a few folks representing all the years present.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Tim K said:

As I’m thinking about what will be done to celebrate the 50th, this is where Michael Boo will be missed. Anytime there was anything that required historic details he was always the one, and no one was better at putting history in a contemporary setting than Michael Boo. Steve Vickers also has incredible knowledge of the activity and he must have a ton of photos and documents. 

My guess is there will be many historic vignettes shown between shows which I believe they did with the 40th or 45th. There will be mention of the iconic corps such as 27th, Kilties, North Star, Bridgemen, Star of Indiana, and Velvet Knights. We’ll see photos and videos of Anaheim and their rifle line, Belleville Black Knights and their helmets will be featured and the shakos of the Guardsmen are a must. Maybe it will feature Terri Schehr! There may be features of multigenerational families. Those who marched in 72 could possibly have children and now grandchildren who marched. 

Regarding a performance, my guess is we would have heard rumblings by now, so my thought is it will be largely a video celebration with a few folks representing all the years present.

There are far more worthy Guardsmen than  myself that could be recognized.  People that sweat it out through some real rough spots. I just showed up in 76 and got a horn spot. But thanks!

Edited by Terri Schehr

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

In 1992, they had every corps that had ever made finals represented in uniform.  It was very cool.  On the 40th, they had a lot of events.  An Al Chez concert for one thing.  The 50th?  A podcast and buy our ####.  LOLOL 

“Buy our ####” made me laugh…. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

“Buy our ####” made me laugh…. 

Maybe I’m being too harsh.  Jim said someone is going to clock me like a weasel at DCI because of my rant.  I said A weasel?  He said you know, those things you knock down and they pop right back up.  I said Do you mean a weeble?  “Oh yeah, a weeble”.   

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, ironlips said:

Two words: Rita Moreno

I watched the Rita Moreno broadcast with my band friends and we all laughed when she mentioned how much she liked the "costumes".  Costumes???  They were uniforms!  I guess she knew way back then where things were going to go.