July 3rd - "The Beanpot" - Manning Field, Lynn, Massachusetts

1 hour ago, Barneveld said:

Not since the 2017 season, I think. I wonder why that is.

Carolina Crown is basically a regional Drum Corps these days now. They dont travel to the west or to the northeast.  For just one example, they are not like the Blue Devils that are by contrast a Drum Corps International ( DCI ) Drum Corps that travels throughout much of the country, and frequently overseas to Europe, Asia, etc and the like. Boston has been to the west coast, Canada and to Europe ( was supposed to go again to Europe a few months back if not for travel overseas concerns with covid ), and much of the country ( including Crown’s home shows ) . Nothing necessarily wrong  if Crown chooses to remain primarily a regional Drum Corps these days.  Understandable consideration must be given to stay within one's financial means, and cut back on distant traveling if it stretches the resources and budget

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 2

Looking forward to seeing Surf’s show. I know they are smaller this year and aren’t going to be challenging from a competitive standpoint, but having corps that are attainable for younger and less experienced but still touring the world class model (sort of), is good for drum corps.

Also looking forward to the Cadets.  Even when their show isn’t my favorite, their percussion is really good.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Phantom56 said:

Sun is in your eyes first half of the show. I know its an iconic venue, but time to retire it. And boy, did Boston shows get a lousy line-up this year.

The iconic venue was Manning Bowl which was torn down. I agree Manning Field is not the best venue and the sun can be glaring, but knowing the folks that make Beanpot a reality, having the show in the North Shore is important and other venues are not large enough. Hurd Stadium in Beverly was used during the construction of the new Manning Field, but that was not optimal. In general, Beanpot has a crowd of North Shore alums: 27th, North Star, Arabella, Reveries, and of course the hosts, St. Mary’s Cardinals. There’s also the Tobin Bridge factor. If you’re from the North Shore you do not cross that bridge unless you’re going to the Cape, and all you do when you get to the Cape is complain about the long journey and traffic. If you’re from the South Shore, you only cross the bridge to go to Hampton Beach in NH or Maine, and again all you do is complain about the traffic.

Regarding the “lousy” line up, lousy number of corps maybe, lousy line up, no. 

51 minutes ago, Barneveld said:

Not since the 2017 season, I think. I wonder why that is.

New England used to be their favorite stop. I hope they’ll be back but who knows. Usually time heals all wounds, but whoever said those words never marched drum corps!

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

beats me 😂

Carolina Crown is not in any shows in the north or far west or northeast this summer  Not just Boston region and other regions in New England either . There is a DCI show in Glassboro , NJ on 8/3 . Corps are there from Colorado, Arizona , Texas, Wyoming . There is  a  DCI show in Pittsburg on 8/7 . There are corps traveling to there from Calif ( 2 corps ) , Colorado , Wyoming .  Carolina Crown is essentially a regional US Drum Corps now … by choice . 

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Boss Anova said:

Carolina Crown is not in any shows in the north or far west or northeast this summer  Not just Boston region and other regions in New England either . There is a DCI show in Glassboro , NJ on 8/3 . Corps are there from Colorado, Arizona , Texas, Wyoming . There is  a  DCI show in Pittsburg on 8/7 . There are corps traveling to there from Calif ( 2 corps ) , Colorado , Wyoming .  Carolina Crown is essentially a regional US Drum Corps now … by choice . 

This may be a case of being fiscally responsible.

13 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

This may be a case of being fiscally responsible.

As pne of the possibilities for becoming a regional Drum Corps, I even posted such as one of their possible rationales for it. (ie, see above ).

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 1