Abuse in Drum Corps

4 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

No.  But this isn't something that rises to law enforcement.  Far as I know and read nothing indicates any law being broken so what charges could you bring?  Threatening to call someone a name (and not ever doing it btw) won't have the police coming to arrest someone.  That doesn't mean that doesn't need to be addressed mind you.  There are a LOT of things that don't break the law but are still crappy.

I have a friend whose husband is transitioning.  

I could post what they deal with in public, but all you would see are asterisks because words like this are automatically blocked on this forum.  Complete strangers yelling things as they shop for groceries.  

• Sad 4

I will continue to shout this from every mountain top...this will never get better unless there is a compliance officer on tour w/ every corps. Someone who isnt afraid to be the bad guy (to staff and senior MM's) and tell corps admins of any abuse issues...no matter how trivial. Also with the power to file complaints to DCI member safety and, if necessary, engage LEO's when needed. One of the skills needed is the ability to see if something is wrong, use judgement. Also provide regular reports to senior admins and management. 

I know there are those that think this is an unrealistic step, but its something...what is in place clearly is not working properly.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Good Techs are worth their weight in gold. They are the ones who make the vision clear and attainable. One that knows how to reach a member, develop and add to the growth of a member is worth even more IMO

I think they were referring to computer techs, not drum corps techs.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

Finding good techs that can be around people...a rare breed.

Lmao was on a project where the lead didn’t know a bleeping thing about technology. His job was “he’s the one who actually talks to people”. 
I was grumbled at more than once for being too laid back. But (my next project)… when the IT group at the former Puerto Rico base wanted someone to come in to train, base personnel there asked me to do it. I’ll just say it was a mixed race group and I had no problem with it. And I kept things low key.

And to add to DrummerParents list FUBAR. Sadly this applies to DCI at times too. R means recognition or repair.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

12 minutes ago, Tony Flores said:

I will continue to shout this from every mountain top...this will never get better unless there is a compliance officer on tour w/ every corps. Someone who isnt afraid to be the bad guy (to staff and senior MM's) and tell corps admins of any abuse issues...no matter how trivial. Also with the power to file complaints to DCI member safety and, if necessary, engage LEO's when needed. One of the skills needed is the ability to see if something is wrong, use judgement. Also provide regular reports to senior admins and management. 

I know there are those that think this is an unrealistic step, but its something...what is in place clearly is not working properly.

I agree.  It has to be someone who doesn’t give two ##### if people like them or not. I’m not available, however.

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Tony Flores said:

And someone with absolutely no connection with DCI or the corps and corps staff. This idea of DCI policing itself just too full of conflict of interest. Just wonder how Pioneer would have been handled if it was a top 12 or top 5 corps.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

And someone with absolutely no connection with DCI or the corps and corps staff. This idea of DCI policing itself just too full of conflict of interest. Just wonder how Pioneer would have been handled if it was a top 12 or top 5 corps.

Differently.  Low hanging fruit.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2