Is Parity really possible in DCI...

On 7/9/2022 at 12:20 AM, Jeff Ream said:

well...look at Boston. everyone hypes the money and the new staff in 17.....and have not medaled yet. So $$$ isn't everything.

While that is true, the guard noticeably improved significantly right away. Third in 17 and then first both 18 and 19. To the question about Music City gaining BD’s staff, I think it would be similar to how it was with Crown when their guard staff left for Boston. A large portion of the membership went to Boston which definitely aided in their top 3 finish. I think ultimately the members will go where the staff is because they have an expectation to learn from that specific person or group of people.

3 minutes ago, kinetic inferno11 said:

While that is true, the guard noticeably improved significantly right away. Third in 17 and then first both 18 and 19. To the question about Music City gaining BD’s staff, I think it would be similar to how it was with Crown when their guard staff left for Boston. A large portion of the membership went to Boston which definitely aided in their top 3 finish. I think ultimately the members will go where the staff is because they have an expectation to learn from that specific person or group of people.

One of the reasons my son chose his current corps is because his Brass Caption Head, was also the Asst. Band Director at his high school. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Boss Anova said:

It’s resources . No corps has medaled the last 3 decades without also being in the top tier with resources before hand . If you are not fund raising each and every year at an elite level to become an attractive option for top tier staff and students , then your corps has little chance of medaling . Money doesn’t grow on trees or fall from the sky . It’s hard work to increase a corps resources available . It takes creativity , intelligence , know how , and non stop diligence . Fall behind in resources available and it’s likely that corps ultimately finds itself in potential placement slide in the field competition arena  . When that occurs , it’s not unsurprising that such a corps or corps finds its loses marchers and future potential applicants to corps with better resources that offer more attractive opportunities for them .  BD has the largest resources available to them .  such resources are an advantage to retaining top staff and being an attractive corps for marchers and future marchers . If you want to top the Blue Devils on the competition field in the future , you had better be able to at least be close to their fund raising ability levels off the field , as the lack of money isn’t going to magically make your corps competitive on the field with them without such constant hard work in the fund raising realm off the field  . That’s just the cold hard reality . 

I would agree. We're not THAT far removed from corps the likes of Star. The financial backing takes away much of the worry and allows for staff to focus on teaching and design. Money makes things easier in all aspects and anyone who says differently is not being a realist. You don't have to like it...you just have to accept it.

I would agree that the talent will follow the staff. As the kids advance their abilities, they will seek the next tier in order to continue their growth and personal development. This is not simply the nature of Drum Corps, but the nature of human beings in general. NO ONE likes to stay stagnant. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chief Guns said:

One of the reasons my son chose his current corps is because his Brass Caption Head, was also the Asst. Band Director at his high school. 

One of the things that I tell my staff of trainers every single meeting, is to put themselves out there and make connections with other teams and their managers. The bigger your "rolodex" the better. You never know who you are going to be reporting to or having to lean on in the future. Build relationships, build a skill database of who can do what well and ALWAYS keep in contact with people. 

Knowing someone's teaching style (in your sons case) has to be HUGE advantage if for no other reason than comfort and communication. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

One of the things that I tell my staff of trainers every single meeting, is to put themselves out there and make connections with other teams and their managers. The bigger your "rolodex" the better. You never know who you are going to be reporting to or having to lean on in the future. Build relationships, build a skill database of who can do what well and ALWAYS keep in contact with people. 

Knowing someone's teaching style (in your sons case) has to be HUGE advantage if for no other reason than comfort and communication. 

As a Retired Navy Chief and Senior Enlisted Leader, I can 1000% relate to what you said. 

As Navy Chiefs, one of the single biggest things you learn is how to network, especially within the Chiefs Mess. In the Military and Navy in general, there is just way too much information for one person to know. "Someone Somewhere" has the answers to what you need to know to effectively lead your WorkCenter/Division/Department/Command. If you don't know how to network as a Navy Leader, I will give you 30 days before your whole freaking world comes crashing down on your face. You have to be able to communicate, be humble, and regardless of position or authority, you never stop learning, and are ALWAYS FINDING new ways to be a better leader and new things to add to your leadership toolbox.

And watch who and how you talk to people. Cause you never know if you will cross paths with them in the future. When i was a young Sailor coming up in the Navy, my Chief told me "Watch what you say to people.......because the feet you step on today, those same feet might be attached to the butt you have to answer to tomorrow."

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Absolutely. My son had a few reasons for choosing Gold for his first DCI season this year.

Huge familiarity with the Staff.

Gold does the majority of their Spring Training right here in Murrieta (our hometown) at my kids Alma Mater Vista Murrieta High School. So my son was literally two miles from home practicing and rehearsing at his home stadium until Gold started tour couple weeks ago. 

Plus it helped that there are several kids from the Vista Murrieta High School Band that are with Gold this year, so he had people he knew from a peer standpoint. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

As a Retired Navy Chief and Senior Enlisted Leader, I can 1000% relate to what you said. 

As Navy Chiefs, one of the single biggest things you learn is how to network, especially within the Chiefs Mess. In the Military and Navy in general, there is just way too much information for one person to know. "Someone Somewhere" has the answers to what you need to know to effectively lead your WorkCenter/Division/Department/Command. If you don't know how to network as a Navy Leader, I will give you 30 days before your whole freaking world comes crashing down on your face. You have to be able to communicate, be humble, and regardless of position or authority, you never stop learning, and are ALWAYS FINDING new ways to be a better leader and new things to add to your leadership toolbox.

And watch who and how you talk to people. Cause you never know if you will cross paths with them in the future. When i was a young Sailor coming up in the Navy, my Chief told me "Watch what you say to people.......because the feet you step on today, those same feet might be attached to the butt you have to answer to tomorrow."

I'm an odd manager. During any given work week, I will have between 50 and 60 conference calls and meetings. Attached to those meetings will be usually about 10 to 15 reports that impact the business. Every month, I assign 1 or 2 meetings to each of my trainers. They are responsible for pulling the reports, gathering the data and preparing to speak to whatever is asked on those meetings. The next month, they change reports and change meetings. 

The result is that each one of my trainers can run the department. They have all interfaced frequently with internal and external clients and gained skills in communication, reporting, metrics management and most importantly, decision making and critical thinking skills. 

They may not always like it because it adds to their work load. But I wish I had a manager like myself when I was coming up. I would have gotten further a great deal faster. 

• Like 1

On 7/9/2022 at 12:20 AM, Jeff Ream said:

well...look at Boston. everyone hypes the money and the new staff in 17.....and have not medaled yet. So $$$ isn't everything.

Well, the idea of Boston medalling and winning is just a matter of time and most people probably know that deep down. Nothing happens overnight, however, particularly in an activity which is centered around subjective judging.  The Boston Crusaders are 82 years old.   We are nothing if not patient.

Meanwhile, our BOD continues to lead the activity in fundraising, enabling Boston to have the best fed, best equipped, best member experience in the activity.  Not alot of organizations are in a position to rent rehearsal venues (like Ford Field), have a full time physician on tour, or fund multiple educational programs for disadvantaged inner city youth. Some of these benefits may not translate to a particular placement on a particular night, but the enhanced member experience will pay off in the long run.  

The parity question is worth discussing, but it clearly was not a priority in the 80s and 90s when BAC had no money and had to resort to staffs of unpaid alums and homemade uniforms.  Contrary to some urban legends I have seen repeated, they did not fall into a bucket of cash.

One final item, and I have to be very careful how I say this....SOME of the loudest critics of the Boston Crusaders would be shocked to discover that their own organizations have been quietly assisted by BAC, in some cases multiple times, for the good of the activity.  For the record, I am not in any position to decide on the financial priorities of the drum corps, but from what I have observed,  this corps and its parent organization (Inspire Arts & Music) have been far more benevolent than anyone ever was to us.

• Like 1

Fascinating discussion…. It’s interesting to look at the 12 competitive seasons prior to covid,  DCI wc finals saw 6 different corps as the gold medalists. Also, the 2019 finals caption awards went to 5 different organizations.  There won’t ever be full competitive parity across the entire activity due to all the different factors pointed out previously,  but I’ve absolutely seen a lot of terrific, breathtakingly enjoyable and inspiring programs and performances from across the entire spectrum and am glad for it.  

• Like 3

Boston is a medal contender now. They are not an assumed top three but they are top six. That didn’t just happen because kids were loyal to stay at the corps; experienced marching members migrated to Boston from (mostly) Crown. That happened because they brought in the elite staff from elite corps, and solved fund raising.

• Like 1