Is Parity really possible in DCI...

Parity in Drum Corps?..Never has been,never will IMO...Even BITD the Corps with money hired the best instruction. Even in a city like New York, where at one time there were dozens of corps, you had to pay for quality instruction..Those who did won championships and those who didn't became parade corps..peace

42 minutes ago, Sideways said:

Simple rule change to help parity at the world class level…if you want to change corps you sit a year.

If corps were recruiting the kids to their organization's like college sports, and mom/dad isn't footing the bill, ok maybe. 

But as a parent who now has a kid marching drum corps, I wish somebody would tell me where I HAVE TO SPEND MY $4-5K a year for my kid to march. That person better pack a lunch, cause it's going to be a long day dealing with me. 

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

Personally, I say screw parity. You want to get better, put the work in and go out and compete. It can be done. 

The issue here that I think many are alluding to is "putting the work in" oftentimes boils down to "spend more money", which is not something every organisation has equal access to. 

I don't claim to have virtually any answers when it comes to this stuff - but I can tell you, as the director of a competitive marching band from a small, rural area that is sometimes judged before we play a note - I've heard more iterations of "put the work in" from judges than I would like to, to the point where my group can translate what that actually means.

My kids work hard - but the playing field isn't level. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

I always wished DCI was like WGI. You never know who will be where in finals. Some groups go from top 5 to bottom 5 to out of finals. You never know who will win until finals night. 

Isn't that the fun of it though? 

If the new DCI maximum member limit is designed to inspire parity, the lines are as blurry as they get. I have reservations! Loyalty has legs, and talent will move up, especially now with the new DCI maximum member limit. Opens up more opportunities for those who normally might not make the final cut in a corps of their choice. IMO there will be even more disparity across the activity. The mind set is that if you're going to spend 4-5K, look at an organization with a greater percentage of making finals.  

• Like 1

Parity is tough. Even in pro sports it is not guaranteed. Even with league drafts and revenue sharing there is always the fact that some drafts are better than others. Some players are better than others. Some coaches are just better than others. Some front office management are better than others. Some teams generate more cash in local TV money that others. 

It's impossible to make the world completely fair, even, and equally as talented. 

For drum corps the issue is:

• Funding the corps
  • Finding creative talents and putting together a design team and teaching staff
  • Marketing and finding a brand for the corps to help with recruiting
  • The process of recruiting and auditioning the best possible players and marchers you can find
  • Location - this may not be commonly cited, but location can determine how well or successful things from fundraising to recruiting can be
  • Vision of the corps - not every corps is out to win a DCI World Tile in World Class. Many corps are out there trying to offer opportunity to young people to perform and travel. This, in and of itself, is why I love the activity. Most years I could care less who wins (Open or World). It's truly about performing and experiences. Not every corps can recruit at the national or international level. They have to find the best way to operate within their community or their region. 
  • Like 6

Parity is hard,  even in Major League Baseball, you have a team with arguably 2 of the best players in the League in Trout and Ohtani, and yet the Angels never even find a way to make the playoffs let alone win it all.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

If corps were recruiting the kids to their organization's like college sports, and mom/dad isn't footing the bill, ok maybe. 

Interesting idea. 

How about NIL payouts to potential recruits?  

(says the LSU alum & SEC football fan. Geaux Tigers!)

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
speling

29 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

Isn't that the fun of it though? 

DCI is too predictable. Look at the top 12 alone and how it is almost the same every year with the same groupings. If it wasn't for Madison falling apart how many years would we have had the same groups? WGI you never know what's going to happen year to year. Gateway percussion went from top 5 to bottom 5 in like 3 years because others changed. Whoever is in the top 5 in world class have a shot to win every year where we already have people calling it 1-2 horse race. 

• Like 1