Is Parity really possible in DCI...

5 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

If corps were recruiting the kids to their organization's like college sports, and mom/dad isn't footing the bill, ok maybe. 

But as a parent who now has a kid marching drum corps, I wish somebody would tell me where I HAVE TO SPEND MY $4-5K a year for my kid to march. That person better pack a lunch, cause it's going to be a long day dealing with me. 

You misunderstood my post…parents wouldn’t be paying anything.  Kid wants to go from Cadets to Boston…fine but they are not marching for one season.  Incentive for kids stay and grow with a corps.

• Haha 1

East answer: no.

Look at the average age in each DCI corps. I guarantee you it is nearly lock step with the final rankings. There is no way a corps with 80% high schoolers can compete with Blue Devils, which is the opposite.

When you get experienced you want to March with the most experienced and proficient peers. The most talented teachers follow the talent and opportunity. 

DCI is a competition. You participate to win.  The most complex shows attract the most experienced marchers - and that means the top six is almost unchanged every year.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Liahona said:

I'll ask these questions. What if the entire BD staff left Devils and went to say Music City (just used for example sake as MC recently moved to WC in 2018)?  Where would that elevate them right away?  Would folks that normally march BD now go to Music City and when would this actually occur (right away or in a season or two)?  How far could the current talent at MC be elevated in the rankings (assuming no advance announcement was made)? Would the members reach some sort of competitive ceiling? Would the MC organization have the financial stability or capability to handle such a massive change, even if they staff themselves worked for free?

My point is there is more to this equation then just what happens on the field. What happens off-the field is just as important as on-field competitiveness...

Note: I am not disparaging MC in any way. Just using them as a hypothetical to pose some of these questions. 

Music City does not have the budget to pay the BD staff so it’s moot. 

1 hour ago, ndrudy2013 said:

Yes, parity is possible in DCI.

How? These corps are not franchises. They are independent organizations that agree to compete on a level playing field, but there is nothing that stops the big, year round super orgs from spending whatever they decide to spend to win a medal.

There is a very limited talent pool in dci. The best marchers are recruited to the best programs—just like college athletics. Vanderbilt football will never not ever compete with Alabama. It is literally not possible.

23 minutes ago, Sideways said:

You misunderstood my post…parents wouldn’t be paying anything.  Kid wants to go from Cadets to Boston…fine but they are not marching for one season.  Incentive for kids stay and grow with a corps.

So let's say my kid marches with Corps A. Some bad things happen there. He comes home from tour and says "Dad I don't want to go back there because of bad culture/staff etc." Kid now wants to go to Corps B which is a better environment/culture all around. 

Does my kid have to sit out a year for "Parity" so Corps C and Corps D can have a chance to win?

Also what about if you move to a lower placing corps? I have no numbers or stats in how often that happens, but it does happen.

Case in point, a several years back my buddy's daughter marched with a corps that finished 5th at finals. She moved to a corps the following year (her age out) that went on to finish 17th at finals.

Would she have been eliminated from marching her age out year even though she went to a corps that wasn't as competitive in the standings?

• Like 1

Back in 2016 the Blue Stars had a young lady in their pit who was a former member of the Blue Devils. She went from the Blue Devils to the Blue Stars because of Mapes and Grohm, who were having a lot of success in the winter drumline circuit and were building a great percussion program, at the time, with the Blue Stars. So, yes, corps members can move from top tier corps to lower tier corps for a variety of reasons; and they aren't always negative. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Music City does not have the budget to pay the BD staff so it’s moot. 

Would the MC organization have the financial stability or capability to handle such a massive change, even if they staff themselves worked for free?

9 hours ago, Phantombari1 said:

I think you agreeing with me in part...My wording said "Dramatically" better.  I believe if you took for example BD's staff and paired them up with Madison preseason, they'd move up to the top 6 instantly because of the staff.

Just my opinion.

This is just not true… 

This is 16 years ago, but I marched a corps coming off of a 19th place season. When I moved in to spring training, I had been playing my instrument for less than a year. A ton of our hornline were woodwinds. Some had never seen a drum corps in person before. We had great staff - Cadets staff - and moved up hugely (5 spots) but didn’t make finals. We had a lot of really young people - like 15 or 16. Many of the older and best members went on - to Cadets, Cavaliers, BK, Crown, Bluecoats, SCV. 

2005 - same corps - we had Derek Gispon as brass caption head, lately of Bluecoats. We were 13th in brass. 

When I went to Cadets the next year, I had two years of the other corps plus two years as a college music major under my belt. I was also 20 and not 18. Not everyone was super experienced, but we had people who had marched multiple years at other corps - my old corps, Magic, Boston, East Coast Jazz. Plus a core of hardened veterns (3-4 years or more in Cadets) that was still a very young Cadets corps. A couple of people from that hornline are in major professional ensembles, and a bunch more are now teaching, including at Bluecoats. 

Basically, as people’s abilities grow and they mature, they want to be with more skilled, experienced, more mature corpsmates. I don’t think it has as much to do with “ring chasing” as much as people presume it does

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1