A Commentary on Narration

Do you remember that time you applauded a rotating company front?

Do you remember that time you cheered the unison flag work?

Do you recall ever throwing babies at narration?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, DeanInChicago said:

The audio of every discernible moment of every show should be able to be applauded for its performance. Obviously it’s not realistic to clap at everything, but you theoretically should be able to. There’s nothing to clap for upon hearing a recorded sentence. 

When I first heard that the Bluecoats were doing "Taming the Dragon".  I listened to it.  I cannot figure out how you can do "Taming the Dragon" without narration.  The narration is key to both "Taming the Dragon" and to Bluecoats' show.

17 minutes ago, DeanInChicago said:

Yeah, but not everybody is you or me or whoever happens to agree with you or me.  Part of growing up is figuring that out.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, PamahoNow said:

When I first heard that the Bluecoats were doing "Taming the Dragon".  I listened to it.  I cannot figure out how you can do "Taming the Dragon" without narration. 

By just playing the music from it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hrothgar15 said:

The audio of every discernible moment of every show should be able to be applauded for its performance. Obviously it’s not realistic to clap at everything, but you theoretically should be able to. There’s nothing to clap for upon hearing a recorded sentence. 

Narration is not intended for applause or standing ovations. Not everything in a show is intended for these things. Phrases have to be built, themes developed, and visual elements must also be developed. Not every visual move is an applause point or better. I personally would not try to generalize what should be allowed in a show based on audience response or understanding. 

4 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Not everything in a show is intended for these things. 

Not anymore, no.

But yes, you can absolutely applaud the building of a musical phrase, the development of a show theme using music and drill, or virtually any visual move—because they are all performed by the performing members. Obviously some are more impressive or impactful than others, and those tend to be applauded more. But everything a corps actually performs is a potential applause point.

Edited by Hrothgar15
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, MidWAmericanArts said:

Here here! Down with artistry, creativity, and original thought! We must conform!

This activity needs to get back to its roots. Any deviation from Sousa marches performed meticulously at 120bpm will result in disqualification!

😋

(For what it’s worth, I’m not a fan of narration, but forcing designers’ hands will never lead to better results)

The other side of coin says true creativity happens while working within the rules, not changing the rules because one can not think of ways to do something within the rules...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

The other side of coin says true creativity happens while working within the rules, not changing the rules because one can not think of ways to do something within the rules...

I can agree with that too. DCI decided they wanted all the bells and whistles and so we have what we have. I am definitely not saying that the overuse of narration is a good thing. Again it just comes down to how it is done. Yes, personally I'd like a little less, but I keep my mind open to new things. 

• Like 1